Left in wet bed

marsh03

Oct 15, 2012
My mum has dementia sometimes she sleeps heavily and can be aggressive in women but on a few occasions she has been in a wet bed. Twice myself and a visitor managed to cgange. She does not have capacity to make decisions always. Today her heom smelt and her bed was wet carers were aware. How long is acceptable to leave her??? Also the home has had no water in her room for over 10 days tgeydata say they take up bowls of water. But her feet are still as dirty with same marks as last week . The shower isn't working and my mum is afraid if theotoh bath generally her personal care is poor. What are the standards??? Thk you

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
That sounds like you need to have a word with the management, rather than the carers.

If your mum is LA funded maybe the Social Worker could help.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
My mum has dementia sometimes she sleeps heavily and can be aggressive in women but on a few occasions she has been in a wet bed. Twice myself and a visitor managed to cgange. She does not have capacity to make decisions always. Today her heom smelt and her bed was wet carers were aware. How long is acceptable to leave her??? Also the home has had no water in her room for over 10 days tgeydata say they take up bowls of water. But her feet are still as dirty with same marks as last week . The shower isn't working and my mum is afraid if theotoh bath generally her personal care is poor. What are the standards??? Thk you
Not those I would say...speak strongly to the manager...

marsh03

Oct 15, 2012
Not those I would say...speak strongly to the manager...

marsh03

Oct 15, 2012
Sorry for poor typing was in a rush...yes I find they just make excuses and say things like I was rude to staff when I complain..they did change the bed later but it smelt badly so I suspect it had been like that for a while.i wonder if I hadn't gone in how much longer it would have taken..I understand it's hard if someone us aagressive but there must surely be some time limits on this???

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
In an ideal world, no one would be left in a wet bed ever. However, we dont live in an ideal world. Once the wet bed is discovered, staff should change it as soon as they can- That will depend on the PWD and their needs and the availibilty of staff to actually do it.

Its not great but, a person that needs hoisting and can be aggressive, needing two or maore carers is likely to be left longer than someone who will quietly sit in a chair whilst the bed is changed by one carer.

Running water in the room isn't a'' must have''. However, the person should be washed regularly and should have a reasonable level of hygiene. Surely there are ''on the corridor'' showers that she could be showered in?

If wetting is a regular occurrance, does she wear a pad?

J53

Oct 9, 2018
It's not acceptable to leave a person in a wet bed my father was left for hours as staffing problems he was not showered once in the 6 weeks he was at the home again staffing problems again was left like a dog lying on the floor you have to complain if nothing changes you go further my mum did and now my dad is in a better home that actually cares if we don't complain nothing will change please have the strength to complain x