Thank you

Novice

May 8, 2017
Hi everyone. Just wanted to 'thank you' all for your help and advice over the past two and a half years. Sadly Mum died a month ago after just 10 hours in hospital, not from A but from pneumonia - at least that is what the death certificate says. A week before we had been shopping and a fortnight before we were on holiday in the Peak district walking around. If it is possible that is the best way to go - but a bit of a shock never the less - no time to prepare, say all you want etc. Anyway, once the dust has settled, I will continue to look at 'Talking Point' from time to time, and maybe some of the lessons we learned will help others.
One thing I did want to say as a result of the recent afternoon discussion on eating. Mum was referred to S and L who had a 12 week waiting list and so they in turn referred us to the dietician. I received a copy letter sent to the dr which said they no longer routinely saw people with dementia. I know several times in that afternoon referral to a dietician was suggested. Just wanted to say I think it may depend upon your local health authority as to whether this is possible.
Well just remains for me to be the first to wish you 'Happy Christmas'.;)
Thanks again for your support.:):):)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It must have been a terrific shock for you @Novice, to lose your mum so suddenly. Some might say she was spared end stage dementia and that may be of some consolation to you.

Please remember Talking Point will still be here for you should you feel the need.

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
Very sorry to hear that your Mum has passed away. It is such a sad time but also there must be some consolation in not having to see her go further down the dementia journey. Sending hugs xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Sorry to hear you've lost your mum, @Novice . It's always a shock, even if we were waiting for it. I hope you have some lovely memories of your last holiday together.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I am sorry to hear your news. How lovely that you had that last holiday together in such a beautiful part of the country, I hope the memories of that, along with other happy times, will bring you comfort as you move forward.

I do understand the shock that comes when death occurs quite suddenly, as this is what happened with my father. Death is never easy to deal with, whether sudden or prolonged. My heart goes out to you.