Claiming for travel expenses

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Part of what I felt was my responsibility to dad as his attorney not just for finance but also his health and welfare was to visit regularly to check on him..the NH...his needs etc. I clocked up 10,000 extra miles a year for each of the 3 years he was in his NH in doing this. Dad was self funding and in a reasonable financial situation so I felt it reasonable for his funds to pay for petrol. Had he not been I would have absorbed those costs myself but not everyone can do that.My car was only used for visiting dad so it was easy to keep seperate from my own personal use and petrol costs with a different car. I didn't though expect that he should pay for the inevitable additional wear and tear on the car or any mileage amount. However if you feel you can justify it and keep accurate records how likely is it that anyone will challenge your decision?

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
There are various ways of claiming legitimate travel expenses. Public transport tickets, receipts for fuel, or miles travelled.

In my case, I already claim the 45p rate for my business travel so would feel a bit cheeky doing it for my Deputyship travel too. I probably could, but it seems more sensible to look at all my 'claimed' miles as a total, so once I've exhausted the 45p allowance I drop down to 25p for all the rest.

judyri

Mar 2, 2010
I'm in a similar position - I have PoA for my uncle, 200 miles away. I rang OPG to clarify exactly what I'm entitled to claim re travel expenses. The solicitor had said he thought 45p a mile "reasonable". OPG said that the claim must be either actual petrol costs, or 45p a mile "whichever is the lesser". Actual petrol works out a lot less, so that's what I've been claiming back. Hope this helps.