Electric toothbrush?

fortune

Sep 12, 2014
Mum stopped brushing her teeth regularly quite a while ago. Finally got her to the dentist and she had to have 5 small fillings, quite a traumatic day out to say the least. Am now determined to get her back in the habit and the dentist recommended an electric toothbrush. Looking online they all look much too complicated. I just want a single, large, easy to use on/off button and an easy-grip handle if possible. Anyone come across something that worked?
thank you

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I personally am using an oral B pulsar toothbrush. It is operated via a battery, so you throw it away when done (had mine on the go for longer than 6 months!). Don't know if something like that would be useful? there is a soft on off button on the inside.
It looks like a normal toohbrush though the handle is a bit thicker and can be used as a normal toothbrush. Also not expensive.

Last edited:

MrCanuck

Jun 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Dentist recommended my mom get an electric toothbrush. Yes, she said, she would like one. We got her one and showed it to her. Yes, she said, she'll use it. It never was. Even with PSWs helping her she wouldn't touch it. :rolleyes:

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
My mum has always had an electric toothbrush but she now uses it manually, I have tried charging it fully but she just won't switch it on.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I think when I bought my electric toothbrush it had something in the instructions about not to be used by a person with diminished capacity or words to that effect. I am sure they would have trouble handling it. Like with body washing, it gets to the stage where someone else needs to do it for them unfortunately.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
My wife has used an electronic toothbrush for many years and still manages well, apart from never remembering where the charger is. My wife is at the stage where she can’t even set a kitchen timer but doesn’t have issues with her Oral-B toothbrush as it has a big easy grip handle and a single on/off button.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I care for my mum at home and have to brush her teeth for her,she won't tolerate her electric brush so I use a manual brush,her dentist prescribes her high fluoride toothpaste to give her teeth the best chance.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
For dad it wasn't so much electric or manual just that he became very resistant to having anything put in his mouth so teeth brushing was very hit and miss no matter how much I tried and the care home staff were reminded to keep trying. Dad had an electric shaver which he tolerated mostly but carers said often as understanding lessens manual shavers have to be used instead as the noise and sensation frightens the pwd...I wonder whether it would be the same for an electric toothbrush.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Unless your mother is already accustomed to an electric toothbrush I'd be surprised if she would use one now. My mother is not keen on brushing her teeth either and needs help from the carers. But to me, if someone is unwilling to use a manual toothbrush, the sensation of an electric one would be a offputting and scary, as described by @love.dad.but.. with the shaver - and this would be worse than a shaver as you're putting it into your mouth. Imagine trying to get a 2 year old to use an electric toothbrush - that's what it would be like trying to get my mother to do this.