Grandma

Granny Gribbles

Oct 17, 2018
Hi all,
I haven't posted before, but just need to vent and ask for some advice if possible?
My darling Grandma, has advanced mixed dementia, she is bed ridden, incontinent, can't communicate anymore and spends most of her time asleep making the odd grunting noise, she is barely eating and drinking either. She does sometimes recognise our voices and smile, which we all cherish !
She was diagnosed with Pneumonia yesterday by the doctor, but when speaking with the nurse and other staff at the home they have said its a chest infection and they aren't unduly concerned. Obviously we're all worried sick again and just thinking how will she fight this when she's so frail.
Does anyone else get differing opinions from doctors and the actual care home staff?
Also what is your experience of Pneumonia at the end stages of dementia?
So worried about her, I want this to be the end as hate seeing her like this, but obviously we're all struggling with the reality of it happening...
Thanks for reading
Sarah x

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi Sarah I lost a very dear friend a couple of months ago to pneumonia. He did not have dementia but he had other illnesses (lung cancer) that contributed to his death. It was not an easy thing to watch and he tried to fight it but it was not to be.

I am sorry that I am not much help but I can offer you my sympathy and hope that it is easier for your Grandma. It really is a release when it is all over with but such an emotional journey.

Stay strong, it's hard.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
They should be concerned even if it is a chest infection! If you think she is in pain or discomfort please make sure the doc is called again - don't let her suffer and keep her lips moist too xxx

Granny Gribbles

Oct 17, 2018
They should be concerned even if it is a chest infection! If you think she is in pain or discomfort please make sure the doc is called again - don't let her suffer and keep her lips moist too xxx
Hi thanks for the reply, they are treating her with the antibiotics and will monitor her, sometimes I just feel that they are very wishy washy with what they say to us. The doctor is very good though and comes to see her every week.
The pain relief she's having is keeping her very calm now as has just seemed so tortured for the last year - although they are now dropping one of her tablets to half to she hopefully will stay awake a little so she can eat and drink a little more.
My mum goes in everyday to try and feed her and I go twice a week, Mum always makes sure she's got her lips moist.
I know that no one can give us an answer for how long she's going to be like this, but a little bit more guidance from the CH would sometimes be helpful. I feel like I have to pump them for information !
I'm babbling I know, but its just all so confusing and emotional, just wish I could take all this away from her x

Granny Gribbles

Oct 17, 2018
Hi Sarah I lost a very dear friend a couple of months ago to pneumonia. He did not have dementia but he had other illnesses (lung cancer) that contributed to his death. It was not an easy thing to watch and he tried to fight it but it was not to be.

I am sorry that I am not much help but I can offer you my sympathy and hope that it is easier for your Grandma. It really is a release when it is all over with but such an emotional journey.

Stay strong, it's hard.
Thanks so much and I'm sorry about your friend passing away x