Mice problem

Jackie123

Jun 10, 2012
My brother lives with Mum who has dementia.

They have an issue with mice.

Can the care company (it is via local authority) refuse to do care calls?

If care company refuses to do care calls, would the local authority be obliged to take Mum into residential care until the issue is resolved?

Last edited:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
If you have a mouse problem it is only going to get worse, they do a lot of damage including eating through electric cables, bedding clothing and soft furnishings, so this needs sorting out.

As Pete suggested, pest control or your local hardware store /diy chain will sell options.

Jackie123

Jun 10, 2012
Thanks you for replies, my brother has put down traps and has been dealing with them.

I am aware a carer has reported it to her management and maybe the same care worker is upping the stakes by saying that the care agency might stop the carers coming in. I have the information via another sibling that visited, and I was not directly party to the conversation.

So what I am asking is whether the local authority would be obliged to take Mum into residential care if the care agency refused to allow its staff in.

Tassie

Jul 13, 2017
Durham
My brother lives with Mum who has dementia.

They have an issue with mice.

Can the care company (it is via local authority) refuse to do care calls?

If care company refuses to do care calls, would the local authority be obliged to take Mum into residential care until the issue is resolved?

Tassie

Jul 13, 2017
Durham
My experience is no. My father has had rats and mice for years . Nurses and social workers visit but just say its up to me to get it sorted. Dad will not move out for any reason he lives in the country with no neighbours. I think if risk to neighbours it would be different.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Thanks you for replies, my brother has put down traps and has been dealing with them.

I am aware a carer has reported it to her management and maybe the same care worker is upping the stakes by saying that the care agency might stop the carers coming in. I have the information via another sibling that visited, and I was not directly party to the conversation.

So what I am asking is whether the local authority would be obliged to take Mum into residential care if the care agency refused to allow its staff in.
Not that I am aware of. Mice can be dealt with, they are common in densely populated areas. We had them ourselves once. A few traps etc usually work well.

Jackie123

Jun 10, 2012
Thanks for replies, much appreciated. There is an annual care review soon and so it might get discussed then. Fortunately the annual care review is happening when I am down there, so I will get to hear what is said first hand.