Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Do the terms of hour contract allow you to 'fire' the agents? Be careful to ensure you don't end up in a situation where you have to pay 2 agencies!

I’ll have to take it off the market. I’m going to read the small print. I know it used to be anything from a month to 3 months, or you pay both.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
OH says you should send them a transcript of you post here and ask for their comments! You could exert pressure to get them to agree to let you break the contract without penalty. Otherwise, I am sure there are organisations that would love to hear about this . . .

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
I'm with @Slugsta and her OH. You need to get yourself out of the contract with your current agent with no penalties. When faced with the evidence of their employee's sales technique and how they sabotaged the viewing with their lack of information about the property, the manager should be shame-faced enough to agree on the spot. Print off or handwrite something for the manager to sign to the effect that the contract is terminated, no payment is due to them and that the provisions are no longer binding. Take it with you so that it can be signed and you can have immediate severance. (With a bit of luck, one of their staff will get immediate severance too!!)

Did you sign the contract in their office or at home after they visited and took instructions? If you signed at home and it was less than 14 days ago, I believe there to be a cooling off period where you have the right to cancel the contract, but be careful as the slimy wotsits will probably try it on. They may cancel the contract but charge for their 'costs' (the usual naff photos, badly written copy and a couple of phone calls that they have allegedly 'worked so hard on' !?!)

I am so sorry that this is yet another thing for you to have to deal with Sam. It all must seem never ending. But as my old Nan used to say to me: 'Bad things just like good things, will also come to an end'.

X

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Just going a bit off track, if pooch is an issue can you find a local dog walker to have pooch for the time of the viewing..
When you find a new agent..

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
My plan is to print off the transcript, invite the owner to view the video & suggest we part company without my taking further action @Toony Oony. I’d rather take it off the market for 3 months than continue with them. I’m disgusted with the so called “sales” attitude.

They can whistle for any payment. They said they would arrange for the report needed (energy efficiency thingy), but I’m still waiting. The photos are terrible, really terrible. They didn’t even turn on any lights so they look really dark. Yes, signed the paperwork at home, I’ll check the date but I’m sure it’s over the cooling off period

Yes, I could do without this, but as dad wouId say .. worse things happen at sea :rolleyes:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I have 2 neighbours that could help & another friend, but the agency give me very little notice of viewings. I think I’ll be talking to the next one & making sure I’m around if not doing the viewings myself @nellbelles

My brother was shocked at the recordings. So, it wasn’t just me. He’s not even benefitting from the sale, but wants me to have the best chance of buying a place to live & he said to take it off the market & give myself time :rolleyes:

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
I'd drop into the conversation that you have been advised to talk to the NAEA (and it's an interesting website) and they may suddenly be more cooperative about releasing you from the contract. They can also advise you if needed.

"Estate agents

If you're unhappy with the service or the treatment you've received from your estate agent, members of the National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA) are bound by strict rules.

Check the NAEA website to see if your estate agent is a member.

The NAEA can take disciplinary action on your behalf if your agent hasn't protected and promoted your interests."

Taken from https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-complain-about-your-property-agent

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Sad to read you having estate agent problems :(

May be, in the short term, this is a blessing in disguise.... I know financially may be not.... but at least it’s giving you more time to take stock perhaps? May be mum is involved, Forcing you to “look after yourself” and take a breather?

Hugs xxx

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Set the ground rules firmly with your next agent re viewings so that it gives you a balance of providing you with enough notice to make arrangements whilst not deterring short notice viewings. Unhappy with the first agent for dad's house I took it off the market in the November...did a bit of painting to brighten the kitchen...not many people buy houses over the Christmas/New Year period...instructed a different agent mid Jan who understood my specific instructions..accepted an offer 4 weeks later.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @CeliaW

They are a member, so that might be helpful. I have an appointment with the manager on Thursday, I’ve been reading through their site & have seen that other properties are highlighted as “chain free”, new boiler fitted with the date etc, but not on mine. They have updated a few of the other points I asked them to, but there’s no encouraging features noted

I’ll have to wait & see

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @2jays

I went back to this agent as they sold some things when dad died. I really should have taken a step back when I found the person I had been dealing with had moved on. She was good.

Probate is through, so financially it’s ok now. If I could swing it, I might even think of staying a year, but I’d need a loan to cover the balance owed by the estate o_O Oh well, one step at a time ;)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I will be setting my terms rather more firmly next time @love.dad.but.. , I dint mind showing people round, at least I know the answers to most if their questions & can highlight the positives.

I did ask if it wouId help the sale if I updated the kitchen &/ or bathroom, but was told I’d only get back what I spent & might now get that as they may not like my choices. Now I’m hearing the 2 who have commented, that there is “too much work needed”. :eek:

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Beggars belief Sam. Whoever was showing the potential buyers around your home is definately in the wrong job:eek: Totally incompetent
I think taking a step back would be a good thing if you could manage it, give yourself some breathing space.
I'd be asking if Pooch came with the house if so I'd want to buy:p:D

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
The house, whatvever the state, will be perfect for that one buyer

So says one who bought a house firmly stuck in the 1960’s but despite that, the house fit our needs

Can’t make a house fit 10 people’s apparent needs, impossible to second guess picky buyers.... house will sell to someone who can think out of the box

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Sam, I've been out of town again and am not anywhere near caught up, but wanted to say hello and I hope you are okay. Also greetings and good wishes to everyone else here! My mother is doing okay and there is not much to report on that front, which is fine.

Please have some (((((((((hugs))))))))), because you can never have too many!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Slugsta

When I was looking last time, I felt awkward when the owners were there, they seemed to hover around & got upset if I even hinted at changing anything. The house I eventually bought needed a total refurb, including ripping out all the upstairs floors (it was disgustingly filthy) but I fell in love with the house

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Lol @rosy18 ... no Pooch does not come with the house, he goes with me. Although he is in dire need of a bath today, so I’d happily hand him over :rolleyes: He wants cuddles :eek:, I want a nose clip :D

As for the “agent”, we’ll, least said & all that ...

I’ve been to the banks & handed in the forms & they’ve copied Probate notification, one will transfer the funds, the other will post a cheque :rolleyes:, it’s a bit less than I’d thought, but I can live for about 5 months without stressing, so if I can come to an agreement with the equity release company, I’m going to take it off till about March. I might even get a job :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar