Dad's Birthday At The Care Home

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

Next Tuesday dad will be having his cataract operation by general anaesthetic and on Friday it is his birthday. My brother and I have thought about celebrating dad's birthday at the care home so I am wondering what everyone
else's experience of this is. We could open presents there and bring a cake or maybe celebrate a bit later when dad has recovered from the op or would the care home have their own celebrations?

MaNaAk

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
At dad's NH Chef made a birthday cake for the resident and staff sang happy birthday which family were welcome to join. I took a present and card in and joined in.All the residents who were able then had a piece of cake. It didn't register much with dad but it is the thought that counts. I would ask the care home if they do anything special to mark the day for the resident.

Hollywood

Apr 21, 2013
My late husband had his 80th birthday in the care home. His favourite meal was fish and chips, so they had that for lunch. A singalong took place in the morning (pure coincidence but it was grand!) I paid for some sandwiches and provided sparkly wine, the care home made a cake which was shared by all residents and provided tea coffee water and juice for 6 guests, it was low key but lovely. Ask the home what they will provide, anything out of the ordinary helps them relieve the monotony but do expect your dad to get tired easily, so nothing too taxing!

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
Hello Everyone!

Next Tuesday dad will be having his cataract operation by general anaesthetic and on Friday it is his birthday. My brother and I have thought about celebrating dad's birthday at the care home so I am wondering what everyone
else's experience of this is. We could open presents there and bring a cake or maybe celebrate a bit later when dad has recovered from the op or would the care home have their own celebrations?

MaNaAk
Hi, I'd ask at the care home if they intend to celebrate your dad's birthday. My mum lives in a residential home and for every resident's birthday the dining room is festooned with banners and a decorated birthday cake is made. The celebrations take place at tea time and relatives are welcome to stay for tea. In fact we are welcomed at any time of day and can stay for meals if we want to. It was my mum's birthday last week and a couple of days after I was given a card that had 4 lovely photos inside of mum blowing out her candles. Mum is blind and most of the time has absolutely no idea where she is but is treated with such care and consideration by all the staff. In that respect I feel so fortunate.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou for all your replies!

My next question is very personal but the eldest of my two brothers did ask soes anyone know if the care home could charge for baking a cake? I'm sorry for asking such a personal question but three months on from dad moving into the care home I fill I'm still learning about what they provide and then of course I will have to think about Xmas.

MaNaAk

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Thankyou for all your replies!

My next question is very personal but the eldest of my two brothers did ask soes anyone know if the care home could charge for baking a cake? I'm sorry for asking such a personal question but three months on from dad moving into the care home I fill I'm still learning about what they provide and then of course I will have to think about Xmas.

MaNaAk
The home where my husband is doesn’t but it may vary, as for Christmas where we I went for Xmas lunch and there were other people’s relatives there and there is no charge, I often eat with my husband I just make a voluntary contribution to the activities fund every now and again

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
My mother's CH used to make quite a big thing of it, with a nice cake made on the premises, and a party of sorts. However for her last year or two I had to ask them to keep it very low key, since a) birthdays meant nothing to her any more, and b) any extra noise or fuss would make her fretful and agitated.
In general it was nice for all the residents, though.

Quizbunny

Nov 20, 2011
On mums birthday we all turn up mob handed and take over the conservatory. We order Chinese from a local restaurant and have a lovely hour or two. We always ask permission and the home are very helpful with plates and cutlery. We do have a cake but we bring it with us.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husbands care home always celebrated birthdays and provided birthday teas and birthday cakes without charging. If you are in doubt @MaNaAk just ask the home what they do in general, so you can be sure.

SKD

Mum's care home baked her a cake and there was no charge - I believe this is a regular arrangement for all residents ensuring that everyone's birthday is remembered. For Mum's birthday in the summer my OH and I visited along with my Mum's sister and a cousin - we opened cards a presents and had cake - it was all very quiet and low key and we made sure we didn't stay too long as I could see Mum was getting very tired - but she enjoyed being the centre of attention.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother had her birthday the day after she arrived at the care home. They sang happy birthday and baked her a cake, no charge. They have homemade cake every day so it was probably just a case of putting candles on it for her. I don't know if they take 'requests' for a particular type of cake because there was no time to arrange it - and anyway as long as it's cake my mother isn't fussy! She had no idea it was her birthday and kept asking whose birthday it was. Anyway, she enjoyed the cake.
I hope you dad has a lovely birthday.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou for your replies and Sylvia I phoned the home today and they told me that they do a buffet on birthdays which dad would absolutely love. The meal would be free and I am to let them know how many people will turn up. I also hope that dad makes such a good recovery from his cataract operation tomorrow that he will be able to see us a bit better by Friday.

MaNaAk