Mild cognitive impairment

Martin's son

Jun 1, 2018
Hi all,

Forgive me if there is a mild cognitive impairment thread already, but I'm new to this.

My father was diagnosed 6 years ago. His condition has worsened over the last 2 years, but he hasn't been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He has short-term memory problems and suffers from depression. There is another symptom which is kind of unusual. Every 6 weeks or so, he goes through a period where he complains of being cold, weak, tired, no energy etc. We have taken him to the Gp on each occasion, but he could not find any illness. I am wondering if anyone has experienced these symptoms. Is this a symptom of depression or could it be a side effect to medication?

kind regards,
Martin's son

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello, @Martin's son ...welcome to Talking Point. No need to apologise for posting in the wrong place, it will be found! I haven’t heard of the symptom you describe, but if it is common, there will be someone on the forum who has heard of it. My instinct would be to ask the Dr, but presumably you have tried that?

Martin's son

Jun 1, 2018
Hello, @Martin's son ...welcome to Talking Point. No need to apologise for posting in the wrong place, it will be found! I haven’t heard of the symptom you describe, but if it is common, there will be someone on the forum who has heard of it. My instinct would be to ask the Dr, but presumably you have tried that?
Hi Amethyst59,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, we have asked medical experts but haven't got a definite reply.

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Hi all,

Forgive me if there is a mild cognitive impairment thread already, but I'm new to this.

My father was diagnosed 6 years ago. His condition has worsened over the last 2 years, but he hasn't been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He has short-term memory problems and suffers from depression. There is another symptom which is kind of unusual. Every 6 weeks or so, he goes through a period where he complains of being cold, weak, tired, no energy etc. We have taken him to the Gp on each occasion, but he could not find any illness. I am wondering if anyone has experienced these symptoms. Is this a symptom of depression or could it be a side effect to medication?

kind regards,
Martin's son
If pharmaceutical causation has been ruled out, then cognitive elements should be looked into, as dementia can bring about all manner of 'symptoms' if indeed the MCI has progressed, then perhaps an assessment is due. Dementia patients quite often complain of feeling cold, even when temperatures are high.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Hello Martin's son, Just wondering if your father has had blood tests to rule out thyroid problems as the symptoms you describe, including depression, can be symptoms of hypothyroidism.

bywhacky

Jul 6, 2018
Write a list or diary of symtoms, could be low b12 or vit d levels or something else . tests need to be carried out to rule out causes

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hello Martin's son, Just wondering if your father has had blood tests to rule out thyroid problems as the symptoms you describe, including depression, can be symptoms of hypothyroidism.
Hi @Tricot I haven’t been on TP for a while & often wonder how you’re doing?
Sorry @Martin's son to jump on your thread I do hope you find TP helpful. Has your dad been given an appointment for the memo clinic yet?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FutureMrsBrown