What to do with products after death

JayneB6367

Dec 18, 2013
This is an odd one but I have various packets of adult incontinence products (XL nappies and bed sheets)

I have tried to give them to charities but they won’t take them.

I would love to give them to someone who will use them as know they are expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I dropped ours into OH's day care centre. They were absolutely thrilled.

I habe also seen someone offering stuff like this on Freecycle once.

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
I had trouble getting rid of all these sealed incontinence products too - amazing, since they are so expensive! MILs care home wouldn't have them, nor a local care home near us. I have noticed that there were some in our local Cancer Research Charity shop last week though, if that is of any help.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
As Beate said, I've often seen these offered on Freecycle and also requests made for other care equipment. There are also quite a few offered on the well-known auction site that are obviously 'surplus to requirements'.
I easily sold some packs and odd bottles of meal replacement drinks on there when Mum moved into a CH.

However, just as an aside, when I replaced Mum's NHS zimmer with a snazzy coloured one, I was shocked to discover that no one wants those returned. It is evidently cheaper to bin used zimmers than recycle them!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
The day centre took some of mine, but only a couple of packs as they were short on storage space.

I got rid of several packets, along with clothes, in a charity collection bag which was put through the door. I don't know if it is the sort of thing they normally take but they weren't included in the list of items they didn't want, which was printed on the bag.

I've still got about three packets to get rid of and they will go out with the next charity collection bag, whenever that comes through the door.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Any unopened packs went back to the Community Care office that supplied them. The open pack went with him to the Nursing Home (the Nursing Home arranged their own supplies). Incontinence Wipes went to a friend who has urine incontinence (not because of dementia), and Bath in Bed wipes came in handy for me when I had major surgery and wasn't allowed to shower or bath for a month!! :eek:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I gave mine to a local homeless charity. It’s safer for the ladies on the street to use them than try to find a loo in the middle of the night.

They run a free drop in clinic, so the sheets wouId be useful. SJA do something similar, they might have a clinic near you that wouId like them.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I have a near neighbour whose husband died six weeks ago and she told me she had bought him a variety of products which hadn't been used as he was taken into hospital. I was glad to relieve her of them and have put them on one side until John needs them. If that day never comes then I will take them to the men's hostel in Broomielaw, Glasgow along with men's clothes. Apparently socks in particular are always wanted. I guess for homeless men on their feet much of the day they go through a lot of socks. I have numerous scarfs, gloves and warm sweaters bought by loving daughters which I could give them right now but hesitate to do so while he might just use them.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I have a near neighbour whose husband died six weeks ago and she told me she had bought him a variety of products which hadn't been used as he was taken into hospital. I was glad to relieve her of them and have put them on one side until John needs them. If that day never comes then I will take them to the men's hostel in Broomielaw, Glasgow along with men's clothes. Apparently socks in particular are always wanted. I guess for homeless men on their feet much of the day they go through a lot of socks. I have numerous scarfs, gloves and warm sweaters bought by loving daughters which I could give them right now but hesitate to do so while he might just use them.
It's because if their feet get wet (as they do), a pair of dry socks to put on can make a huge difference to them.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I was quite surprised that the NHS took back the unopened packs of stuff which had originally come from them. So when I returned the 5 or so packs of stuff, I also got to meet the kind lady I had spoken to on the phone so many times. I only have one other unopened pack of bed sheets, not supplied by the NHS, but hopefully I can give them to the local hospice charity shop. I hate to see stuff going to waste, but I guess no one will take the items from packs that have already been opened? There isn't that much, but there's a fair bit. I won't throw it. Maybe it will come in useful if I have a sudden leaky pipe! If anyone has any ideas for opened packs, please let me know, though I guess because of 'infection control' no one will take these bits and pieces. It's mainly large incontinence pads of various types and sizes.

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
Mums care home had all hers as well as most of her clothes.
I use Freecycle or trash nothing a lot.