Tired of putting on a show

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
you know, when you are with the person with dementia and there's a guest and you are trying to be nice and positive but its usually an act because you cant always be yourself or show certain emotions around the person with dementia. This is getting very hard and sometimes I just cant face talking to someone or will find it extra hard to be positive/smile around them. I'm usually drained when they leave.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
I hear you, it's all a strain isn't it as you hope that the PWD will be okay and you are trying to keep it all together. Hope you can get some time out to meet people away from the PWD where you can be yourself x

Baz22

Dec 30, 2017
South West
you know, when you are with the person with dementia and there's a guest and you are trying to be nice and positive but its usually an act because you cant always be yourself or show certain emotions around the person with dementia. This is getting very hard and sometimes I just cant face talking to someone or will find it extra hard to be positive/smile around them. I'm usually drained when they leave.
Yes I am fed up of acting like all is OK for the benefit of others who then assume I am in total control whilst privately I am drinking more wine than I used to. I dare say there are a lot of us worn down by dementia of someone close to us. I snatch the good moments and hold onto them. Wish you well.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s why so many of us choose isolation over social activities and why a support group and TP may be the only places we can tell it as it is .

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Yes I am fed up of acting like all is OK for the benefit of others who then assume I am in total control whilst privately I am drinking more wine than I used to. I dare say there are a lot of us worn down by dementia of someone close to us. I snatch the good moments and hold onto them. Wish you well.
Oh I KNOW. My boss at work nominated me for a lifetime achievement award and put that I care for my husband with panache ... Don't you love it, my sanity was hanging on by a thread and about to fall .... Kindredxx

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Yes, I know this well. People at work, when I talk about my Mum in a care home say "Oh, but isn't that sad". Quite. You have no idea how sad, until it happens to your family. But I don't say that...

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Yes, I know this well. People at work, when I talk about my Mum in a care home say "Oh, but isn't that sad". Quite. You have no idea how sad, until it happens to your family. But I don't say that...
Yes indeed, oh yes. And it got to a time when all I ever heard was that word sad. And this can really seep into your brain and colour your world. As a matter of interest, a LOT of my colleagues have parents in care homes! We could form a club.
But what can we do? There are things just so awful we keep quiet about them. On a much worse scale, think of all the people who came home from the wars and never described what they had seen until years and years later. Great to hear from you. Kindred.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet