Flu Jab Fiasco

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Morning

We were contacted by text a few weeks ago by our surgery, asking us to contact them to arrange for this year's flu jabs.

I rang in and asked if we could make appointments, as my wife can't stand in queues of sit around the waiting room full of people. They were very understanding and we had joint appointments for yesterday (Sat) - we've never had much of a wait anyway in the last 9 years we've been going.

Having got my wife up, washed dressed etc, we headed off to the surgery. It's quite small and has a narrow, bendy road up into the small car park at the rear. I got halfway up and it was traffic chaos. The queue of people was out of the surgery door, snaking back into the car park! I couldn't drive in or back out, as it was gridlocked.

I abandoned my car (I was near the surgery door) and pushed past the queue to get to reception. I explained that my wife could not queue, which is why I'd requested appointments. She apologised and said we'd have to cancel and to call back in after Wednesday to see when the next sessions are being held.

Then took me another 20 mins to try and get the 3 elderly drivers of the cars behind me to reverse down the bendy hill and out onto the main road, so I could escape.:rolleyes:

I may pop over to our nearby pharmacy on Monday to see if we can get them there?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Might be better to try the pharmacy, although I understand that there is currently a shortage of the flu vaccination which possibly explains the long queue. I booked Mum in at the GP's but cancelled as the home said that the residents will get their flu jabs done at the same time. Then received a text yesterday from the surgery to say that jabs are now being given on a 'first come, first served' basis due to the shortage. Beginning to think that I shouldn't have cancelled the GP appointment...

B72

Jul 21, 2018
We now have our flu jabs at a local pharmacy every year. No problem, no wait. We’ve had ours. I refuse to join the demeaning queue at the surgery. Ring your local pharmacy, I bet you can have it without any problem, or wait.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Our surgery works on the basis of booking so many to come in every 10 or 15 minutes and then queues them in the waiting room from there. Sorry your place is not so organised or helpful, Philbo. I would definitely speak to the pharmacy in your position.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I'd try the pharmacy. At Boots you can book online to get an appointment time to suit you

https://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/st...yId=&productId=&catalogId=28501&storeId=11352

A nurse who works in public health told me there isn't actually a shortage of vaccine, but some GP surgeries have under-ordered which is giving that impression. I had my flu jab done at the GP surgery on Thursday, it was first-come-first-served but there was no queue. My OH is booked to have it done at Boots on Tuesday.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I had mine at the pharmacy this year, for the first time. My surgery is very organised on this, but it's always on a Saturday morning which isn't convenient. It will be the pharmacy for me from now on! No queue and no booking!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN