Thermostat cover

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Hi all,
We had central heating installed, for mum, last year.
Mum turns the thermostat right down at night and then up to 30 if she wants warmth. I need to buy a cover so it can stay at a constant, comfortable, temperature. My intention is, if she can't see the dial, she won't fiddle
I've looked online but can only find clear covers, with a lock. Not what I want. I just want something simple that covers the dial. Out of sight out of mind.
Any ideas?

LHS

Oct 5, 2018
You could buy a socket box with a blank cover? But then it may be too warm at night for her unless you put it on a timer that she also can't fiddle with.

LHS

Oct 5, 2018
My mum is struggling to understand her heating now and sometimes turns it off. I am actually wondering whether to get a hive or nest system so that I can monitor remotely from my smartphone and change the settings if necessary. Too complicated to explain how it works to my mum, I will probably just get it installed and tell her it's a repair!

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Rob, I like that idea of leaving the original thermostat in place but disconnecting it!

To use hive or some other remote control, would Mum need to have access to broadband? That would be a problem for us as she would spot the extra payments on her bank statement and query it! We are not at that stage yet, Mum seems to manage her heating controls but I know that will change as her illness progresses, she has recently struggled with using the microwave.

Toms_daughter

Oct 7, 2018
How about getting that clear cover and spray painting the inside prior to installing it? If you get a color close to the wall color it would blend in well.