Mum's assets are running down. What happens now?

susywestcountry

May 17, 2015
Hello everyone. Any advice welcome, thank you.
Mum, 87 and suffering from dementia, has been in a care/nursing home for three years now and has been self-funding. I am her COP-appointed deputy and had to sell her house after my father's death to fund her care to date. After this month's care fees, her total assets are now below £24,000. I informed the Council some time ago but was warned that it would be a while before anyone would contact me regarding this to do the relevant assessments. No one has been in touch as yet. I have informed the care home and they said I would have to continue paying mum's fees (from her remaining assets). Is this correct and will mum be reimbursed by the Council eventually? Her total monthly income from state and teaching pensions is around £1,200 (AA not included as I know that will fall away if and when she gets some help with her care fees). Her care fees are currently £4,400 a month. What should I do, and has anyone else been in this situation? So worrying and stressful. Thanks in advance.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
I can only suggest chasing the Council up.
Find out who to talk to, and not only speak, but write/e-mail as well, create a paper trail.
Try the help lines here, find out the proper process, and let it be known you know what the procedure is!
In short, he who shouts loudest, gets the most!!

Bod

brambles

Sep 22, 2014
NW England
I haven't got to this stage yet, but, was told by Social Services before mum was admitted to her Care home that when her assets reached the lower limit, they would assess her and take over the payments. However they did say this would take some time and we would have to use her money to continue payments until it was sorted out. They also said that her money used would be reimbursed.

susywestcountry

May 17, 2015
I can only suggest chasing the Council up.
Find out who to talk to, and not only speak, but write/e-mail as well, create a paper trail.
Try the help lines here, find out the proper process, and let it be known you know what the procedure is!
In short, he who shouts loudest, gets the most!!

Bod
Thanks, will chase next week.

susywestcountry

May 17, 2015
I haven't got to this stage yet, but, was told by Social Services before mum was admitted to her Care home that when her assets reached the lower limit, they would assess her and take over the payments. However they did say this would take some time and we would have to use her money to continue payments until it was sorted out. They also said that her money used would be reimbursed.
Thanks, it helps to know this isn't unusual.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I agree chase the LA
Your Mum should be receiving increasing partial funding until her assets reach the lower limit when she should be fully funded.
Reimbursing when the lower limit is reached is complicated as it increases your Mum's assets to above that limit meaning partial funding till the lower limit is again reached, also will they reimburse at the fee paid or their tariff? This is bordering on voluntary top ups whilst you Mum is in the home.
You need clear information from the LA. In the long run continuing to be self funding just brings the time the lower limit is reached nearer. During that time your Mum is entitled to receive AA which stretches the time scale, if the LA reimburse the DWP may come looking for a refund shortening the timescale.
Target the LA financial department not SS.

Last edited:

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
My husband was transferred over to social funding last year. It did take a while to sort - but he was refunded over-payments once it was all finalised

Shari12

May 10, 2016
Hello everyone. Any advice welcome, thank you.
Mum, 87 and suffering from dementia, has been in a care/nursing home for three years now and has been self-funding. I am her COP-appointed deputy and had to sell her house after my father's death to fund her care to date. After this month's care fees, her total assets are now below £24,000. I informed the Council some time ago but was warned that it would be a while before anyone would contact me regarding this to do the relevant assessments. No one has been in touch as yet. I have informed the care home and they said I would have to continue paying mum's fees (from her remaining assets). Is this correct and will mum be reimbursed by the Council eventually? Her total monthly income from state and teaching pensions is around £1,200 (AA not included as I know that will fall away if and when she gets some help with her care fees). Her care fees are currently £4,400 a month. What should I do, and has anyone else been in this situation? So worrying and stressful. Thanks in advance.

I'm in a similar situation... my Mum went into residential care 4 months ago. She has no savings, but made the silly mistake of buying her council house in the 80's. She thought at the time she was doing the right thing, but now, she's being penalised for it, because she can't get any help from SS and has to fund her own care. As her POA, I'm in the process of selling her house to fund her care. Her house is thankfully now sold STC and I'm hoping it completes before the end of this month, when the next invoice for the Carehome is due, because I've been funding her care myself until the sale is final and it's crippling me financially. Even after her pension and AA, I don't earn enough to cover her care fees and my savings have now depleted.

I have spoken to a few people recently, who's parents are self funding and though SS tell you they don't touch the last £24,000 and to notify them when the capital reaches that amount... they drag their feet so much, that families have to continue to use that last £24,000 and don't see a penny of it back.