Facing dentures

Gwyneth

Nov 25, 2015
Does anyone have any tips on how to approach this situation please. My husband has Alzheimer’s and had to have some top teeth extracted. A partial denture has been made and looks brilliant but how do I get him into a routine of wearing it? He keeps removing it, particularly for eating. Having gone round in circles over the whole problem of his teeth, we now can’t go back. Has anyone been in this situation?
It has been so stressful. Thanks. Gwyneth

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Have you mentioned this to the dentist? As this is a new denture it may be causing pain when eating and a little adjustment is often required to new partial or full dentures for this reason.

Gwyneth

Nov 25, 2015
Thank you. You may well be right and the dentist did say come back anytime. It is a recent issue so I guess it will take time to get used to. Just another pressure to deal with but at least not life threatening!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Having had my own dentures fitted several years ago, I can attest to the fact that they take an awful lot of getting used to. I wanted to take them out all the time, not because they hurt but because they felt weird. I'm wondering if some kind of adhesive might help: if they are moving around that would exacerbate the whole "I can't eat with these damn things".

But I agree, go back to the dentist. But I have to say it was a year at least before I came to terms with them.

Gwyneth

Nov 25, 2015
Having had my own dentures fitted several years ago, I can attest to the fact that they take an awful lot of getting used to. I wanted to take them out all the time, not because they hurt but because they felt weird. I'm wondering if some kind of adhesive might help: if they are moving around that would exacerbate the whole "I can't eat with these damn things".

But I agree, go back to the dentist. But I have to say it was a year at least before I came to terms with them.

Gwyneth

Nov 25, 2015
Thank you for your thoughts. I think perhaps I am being a bit impatient and must allow him to try to adapt gradually. My worry has been with the fact that his cognitive impairment makes adjustment to anything new very difficult. I have got a box for it in the bathroom to keep in overnight in water with a smiley face on it and think I will just have to encouragehim into a routine. At the moment he can still manage personal bathroom issues well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet