New drug

Joyful

Aug 26, 2018
Colne lancs
Is anyone's partner taking Mirtazapine. My husband has been suffering from extreme anxiety and has just changed from Citalipram to this drug. I just wondered what other people's experiences with it were.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
My Mum, who lives with me, was put on it to help her mood and to increase her appetite. Unfortunately it didn't suit her and she went off her legs and became very aggressive, which at that time, was very unlike her, so I called the GP and told him I wouldn't give her anymore. Everyone's different however, and I'm sure others will post with their experiences of it and hopefully, your husband will be helped by it. Good luck.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I was going to raise this question in a post @Joyful so thanks for doing so. My wife has just been prescribed Mirtazapine. Her GP suggested that the underlying cause of my wife's persistent hand washing (and consequent dermatitis) might be anxiety and that this drug might help. It has only been a few days but the only change that I have noticed is an increased likelihood of her falling asleep at any time. I suppose that when she is sleeping she can't be washing her hands but - even though I'm always in the wrong - I would prefer my wife to be awake and relatively alert rather than dozing the days away.

We are due to see the GP again in a month for a review. Currently there seems no benefit from the Mirtazapine but I need to give it some time so will be persevering for now.

Hope this helps.

Joyful

Aug 26, 2018
Colne lancs
Thanks for info . My husband has been on this for a week now. At first he was very sleepy but as the week has gone on that has improved. It has definitely improved his anxiety,much better but he is ,I wouldn't say aggressive but a bit more bossy. He has another 2 weeks till he sees the doctor so we will see how he is then.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
I was going to raise this question in a post @Joyful so thanks for doing so. My wife has just been prescribed Mirtazapine. Her GP suggested that the underlying cause of my wife's persistent hand washing (and consequent dermatitis) might be anxiety and that this drug might help. It has only been a few days but the only change that I have noticed is an increased likelihood of her falling asleep at any time. I suppose that when she is sleeping she can't be washing her hands but - even though I'm always in the wrong - I would prefer my wife to be awake and relatively alert rather than dozing the days away.

We are due to see the GP again in a month for a review. Currently there seems no benefit from the Mirtazapine but I need to give it some time so will be persevering for now.

Hope this helps.
Fingers crossed for you.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
My husband has been on this for a week, half a tablet every night. It was supposed to help with his sleep and anxiety problems. It hasn’t really helped with his sleep, he still gets up and wanders, but he is less anxious. His consultant said we would know if it agreed with him straight away, and he doesn’t seem to have had any obvious side effects. He was on Galantamine for Alzheimer’s, but I think that this started his sleep problems, and the nights are the worst.