Please don't throw me away, breaking my promise

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Me again, and let's deal with the worms first. As you know I am a creature of many parts, yellow bunnies, jazz singer etc etc. I also take care of the plants, garden and wormery at work. I decided I needed to clean and refurbish the wormery so I kidnapped a handful into an old sandwich box to bring home to put in my own wormery, and then I would take a handful back at some point in the future. That, of course, was the plan. I had not reckoned on worms' ability to thwart plans and squeeze through minute places. So by time got to Keith's home, they had ESCAPED into my work bag ... I have rounded them up, put them in my wormery and destroyed the bag (because baby worms are so minute you can hardly see them and did not want any surfacing at awkward times in the future!!). But was indeed an interesting moment. I did not feel able to use it as an activity with the residents.

Today was kind of run ragged day at Keith's home, so many residents wanting one to one conversations! I was really glad I was there to help out. Keith was awake, looking beautiful and talking as though he were giving an after dinner speech, which he has done on many occasions back in the day. One of the nurses asked me what he was talking about and I was able to tell her that as far as I could tell, he was going into the intricacies of orchid pollination. Which was one of his specialities and it is a very saucy topic too. If you do not see how that could be, just ask and I will enlighten.

Meanwhile the topic at lunch was rhubarb, as we had crumble and one of the nurses was saying rhubarb leaves were poisonous to all life except goats and rabbits. Do you know anything about this, guys?

Thank you with all heart for being with me! Means the world. Love and best, Geraldine aka kindred. xxx

Talk forever
beautiful blue eyed boy
just stop
while I give you a kiss. xxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Well, a short but lively visit. Keith very sleepy but when I took hold of both his hands, looked into his lovely face and eyes, he whispered to me:

It won't work like that ...

So I agreed, well, no, I don't suppose it will, I'll take it and mend it. That seemed to satisfy him and he went off to sleep! Decided to do a bit of singing so belted out a chorus or two of
FINGS AINT WHAT THEY USED TO BE
(Do any of you remember that?) I'd say about half of the residents who were awake remembered it. Followed by how much is that dog in the window, which always goes down well with lots of woof woof woofs. One of the residents has decided to teach me how to knit, and I feel very apprehensive about this because no one else has ever succeeded ... She has got thick needles and purple wool and is herself very good at knitting.
Keith still asleep when I left. Tomorrow I am going to take my balancing butterflies and see if anyone enjoys balancing them on their hands and wrists ... wish me luck guys!
Got home and so wish Keith was asleep upstairs. Trouble was, he rarely slept at night ... well you know all this my friends.
Back in the day when I was having such a horrible time, i used to envy people who no longer had to endure it because their beloved partners were now in a nursing home. Now, of course, I envy those of you whose beloved partners are still at home. (No, no, I know the reality, believe me I do ...I got broken by it). all love and thoughts Kindred aka Geraldinexxxx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Well, a short but lively visit. Keith very sleepy but when I took hold of both his hands, looked into his lovely face and eyes, he whispered to me:

It won't work like that ...

So I agreed, well, no, I don't suppose it will, I'll take it and mend it. That seemed to satisfy him and he went off to sleep! Decided to do a bit of singing so belted out a chorus or two of
FINGS AINT WHAT THEY USED TO BE
(Do any of you remember that?) I'd say about half of the residents who were awake remembered it. Followed by how much is that dog in the window, which always goes down well with lots of woof woof woofs. One of the residents has decided to teach me how to knit, and I feel very apprehensive about this because no one else has ever succeeded ... She has got thick needles and purple wool and is herself very good at knitting.
Keith still asleep when I left. Tomorrow I am going to take my balancing butterflies and see if anyone enjoys balancing them on their hands and wrists ... wish me luck guys!
Got home and so wish Keith was asleep upstairs. Trouble was, he rarely slept at night ... well you know all this my friends.
Back in the day when I was having such a horrible time, i used to envy people who no longer had to endure it because their beloved partners were now in a nursing home. Now, of course, I envy those of you whose beloved partners are still at home. (No, no, I know the reality, believe me I do ...I got broken by it). all love and thoughts Kindred aka Geraldinexxxx
Lovely to hear your news. Yes it is a catch 22 sometimes. I dread the idea of a care home as I live in the country and with no transport either. We do not need it yet and pray we never will. I am tired trying to tweak to future proof the home. Nearly there, the builders should complete soon. Perhaps I am a King Canute, we just have to accept the tide rolls in and out in our life whether we want or not! X

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Lovely to hear your news. Yes it is a catch 22 sometimes. I dread the idea of a care home as I live in the country and with no transport either. We do not need it yet and pray we never will. I am tired trying to tweak to future proof the home. Nearly there, the builders should complete soon. Perhaps I am a King Canute, we just have to accept the tide rolls in and out in our life whether we want or not! X

I am sure you are right @AliceA but I am not finding it easy to accept this!

Love your stories from the front line @kindred, wish I had your spirit. Mine seems to have evaporated long ago :(
Lindy xx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Oh yes, that is so true, never more so than now I think. I am so glad builders should complete soon! You may never need a home, Alice, hope you don't. In our case it has been a life saver and I just could not entertain Keith enough at home, I think. God, this is all so difficult isn't it. Well done on future proofing your home, it is the best thing to do. This is going to sound pathetic but I cannot tell you how happy I was when, via the NHS, a commode was delivered to our house ... love and best, Geraldinexxxxthank you so very much.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I am sure you are right @AliceA but I am not finding it easy to accept this!

Love your stories from the front line @kindred, wish I had your spirit. Mine seems to have evaporated long ago :(
Lindy xx
Thank you so much Lindy, so good to hear from you. Love it that you call it the front line! I like that. When I was in teaching I think classroom work was referred to as the coal face ... I can't see that even being politically correct now, despite the reference to mining!
with love and best, Geraldinexx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Thank you so much Lindy, so good to hear from you. Love it that you call it the front line! I like that. When I was in teaching I think classroom work was referred to as the coal face ... I can't see that even being politically correct now, despite the reference to mining!
with love and best, Geraldinexx
I seem to remember it as the chalk face - totally out of date now, I expect! X

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I seem to remember it as the chalk face - totally out of date now, I expect! X
I wonder how it got to be the coal face in Kent of all places, Kent being full of chalk!!! And of course the chalk face is even ambiguous ... this is so interesting! Thank you so much Lindy! Gxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
OK guys, you've raised a glass to the yellow rabbit and the bag of worms, so raise a glass to (if you remember them) THE WINDMILL GIRLS.
Started off in that something's going to happen way with all quiet and sleepy. I took my red robin and flappy butterfly in for those who were awake (not many) to play with, then sat to talk, or rather listen to Keith, and realised with a start that he was not using any nouns. None at all in stream of language. This is an oversight on my part having studied language and the brain extensively.
Nouns are the words we learn first, so for some reason, these are going first. I have determined to make my talk to him more noun based just in case some can be rescued. If so, it would help him to understand instructions although he is a bit past that now, I fear.
AND THEN one of the activity nurses was playing with feathers and scents and she put the feathers behind her ear and I exclaimed WINDMILL GIRL!! Now, the residents understood and a few work up at that point. And so we did an impromptu can can together. (God my hip needs that replacement soonest). We got called for an encore, so we did, to improvised can can music and much applause from visitors.
AND THEN another of the nurses broke into a chorus of I am the music man and one of the lovely lady residents who normally says nothing and is very shy started to dance, and danced so well!! We kept this going as long as we could before needing to collapse with cups of tea.
Mad and wonderful.
A new resident who thinks we have to book a week in advance in the home said she wanted to book in FOREVER.
Managed to get some loving smiles from blue eyed boy even though not much engaged conversation. I'm happy with that. I'll take anything I can get, anything.
Thanks for being with me folks, means the world. Geraldine aka kindredxxxx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
OK guys, you've raised a glass to the yellow rabbit and the bag of worms, so raise a glass to (if you remember them) THE WINDMILL GIRLS.
Started off in that something's going to happen way with all quiet and sleepy. I took my red robin and flappy butterfly in for those who were awake (not many) to play with, then sat to talk, or rather listen to Keith, and realised with a start that he was not using any nouns. None at all in stream of language. This is an oversight on my part having studied language and the brain extensively.
Nouns are the words we learn first, so for some reason, these are going first. I have determined to make my talk to him more noun based just in case some can be rescued. If so, it would help him to understand instructions although he is a bit past that now, I fear.
AND THEN one of the activity nurses was playing with feathers and scents and she put the feathers behind her ear and I exclaimed WINDMILL GIRL!! Now, the residents understood and a few work up at that point. And so we did an impromptu can can together. (God my hip needs that replacement soonest). We got called for an encore, so we did, to improvised can can music and much applause from visitors.
AND THEN another of the nurses broke into a chorus of I am the music man and one of the lovely lady residents who normally says nothing and is very shy started to dance, and danced so well!! We kept this going as long as we could before needing to collapse with cups of tea.
Mad and wonderful.
A new resident who thinks we have to book a week in advance in the home said she wanted to book in FOREVER.
Managed to get some loving smiles from blue eyed boy even though not much engaged conversation. I'm happy with that. I'll take anything I can get, anything.
Thanks for being with me folks, means the world. Geraldine aka kindredxxxx
Thank you for being here too xxx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Oh yes, that is so true, never more so than now I think. I am so glad builders should complete soon! You may never need a home, Alice, hope you don't. In our case it has been a life saver and I just could not entertain Keith enough at home, I think. God, this is all so difficult isn't it. Well done on future proofing your home, it is the best thing to do. This is going to sound pathetic but I cannot tell you how happy I was when, via the NHS, a commode was delivered to our house ... love and best, Geraldinexxxxthank you so very much.
Oh, I can. I am enthused by the most unlikely things too! I think 'future proofing the home' is a sop as what I really need to do is future proof me! I am decluttering in short bursts, again probably fooling myself as it gives a semblance of control. Your cheery posts are lovely to read. We just have to keep going don't we. Take care of you too! Xxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Oh, I can. I am enthused by the most unlikely things too! I think 'future proofing the home' is a sop as what I really need to do is future proof me! I am decluttering in short bursts, again probably fooling myself as it gives a semblance of control. Your cheery posts are lovely to read. We just have to keep going don't we. Take care of you too! Xxx
Oh thank you and well done on the decluttering, it really is a form of control. I think future proofing the home is a form of future proofing ourselves in a way, it's giving the home and us space. Oh yes, we just have to do what Churchill said and keep b.....g on. So lovely to hear from you, thank you! love and best, Geraldine aka kindred, but you knew that! xxxxxx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Oh thank you and well done on the decluttering, it really is a form of control. I think future proofing the home is a form of future proofing ourselves in a way, it's giving the home and us space. Oh yes, we just have to do what Churchill said and keep b.....g on. So lovely to hear from you, thank you! love and best, Geraldine aka kindred, but you knew that! xxxxxx
You too! A great comfort to know we are supporting each other, mini respite! Much love, x

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
Hi mad and wonderful Keith’s nursing home is but what a great place to be I bet they have a huge waiting list..and may I add your amazing .@kindred I love your posts and they never fail to cheer me up so thank you.
Take care A x

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hi mad and wonderful Keith’s nursing home is but what a great place to be I bet they have a huge waiting list..and may I add your amazing .@kindred I love your posts and they never fail to cheer me up so thank you.
Take care A x
Thank you! That means so much to me. Thank you. Kindred xxxxx

Amble

Jun 5, 2007
Surrey UK
Poetry: Words For It by Julia Cameron

"I wish I could take language
And fold it like cool, moist rags.
I would lay words on your forehead.
I would wrap words on your wrists."
(more at the link)

This is for all of you, and especially you Kindred. I just want you to know that I genuinely care.
My husband hasn't got dementia but in the last year has become totally disabled and I am now his full time Carer. 12th October will be our 50th wedding anniversary for which I am immensely grateful.
It is wonderful reading all your warm hearted posts and acre for one another. Thank-you all

Last edited by a moderator:

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Poetry: Words For It by Julia Cameron

"I wish I could take language
And fold it like cool, moist rags.
I would lay words on your forehead.
I would wrap words on your wrists."
(more at the link)

This is for all of you, and especially you Kindred. I just want you to know that I genuinely care.
My husband hasn't got dementia but in the last year has become totally disabled and I am now his full time Carer. 12th October will be our 50th wedding anniversary for which I am immensely grateful.
It is wonderful reading all your warm hearted posts and acre for one another. Thank-you all
My darling that is so wonderful, and I have printed it to put up in Keith's home. This is so so beautiful, thank you with all heart and congratulations on your 50th. It is so so good to hear from you. with love and best, Geraldinexx

Last edited by a moderator:

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Lot of shouting going off today, don't know whether it's the high winds or not, jury seems to be out on that one. Anyway, when arrived and to see Keith, he said to me, but what guarantees do we have??? First of all I was pleased as he was using a noun, and after that I reassured him that well, no, we don't actually have any guarantees at all ... but I would of course see what I could do about it. Then we did our usual singing of military marches.
The high spot was dinner time when we had another of our special dinner and song sessions. The nurses help residents to feed and we all sing songs.
Rawhide (yes, haven't forgotten that),
Stuff from sound of music
Coming round the mountain
(ever so pleased that I haven't heard daisy daisy for AGES)
AND THEN one of the nurses brought out a tray of ice-cream for the growing number who prefer it to semolina ... and on each mountain of ice-cream she had stuck a mini union jack!!! And one of the residents immediately started up a chorus of RULE BRITANNIA.
Felt afraid we would have police burst in on us for being politically not correct or something, but we all ended up singing with gusto and I grabbed a straw and conducted.
The lady who called me the most boring person in the world said to me, I know you, you like causing trouble you do. And then she gave me an enormous grin.
Job done for the day, guys. Off to my church group!!
There is talk of a few of us forming a barber shop choir. xxx

Amble

Jun 5, 2007
Surrey UK
Oh do have a Barber Shop Choir, then you could go and sing at Keith's home!
So happy you liked the Poem.
Some time or other see whether the Poetry Corner is still here on Talking Point. It used to have some wonderful poems. You may be able to write one yourself?

Illness

Illness is the night-side of life

a more onerous citizenship.

Everyone who is born

holds dual citizenship,

in the kingdom of the well

and in the kingdom of the sick.

Although we prefer to use

only the good passport,

sooner or later each of us

is obligated, at least for a spell,

to identify ourselves as

citizens of that other place.

Susan Sontag

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Oh do have a Barber Shop Choir, then you could go and sing at Keith's home!
So happy you liked the Poem.
Some time or other see whether the Poetry Corner is still here on Talking Point. It used to have some wonderful poems. You may be able to write one yourself?

Illness

Illness is the night-side of life

a more onerous citizenship.

Everyone who is born

holds dual citizenship,

in the kingdom of the well

and in the kingdom of the sick.

Although we prefer to use

only the good passport,

sooner or later each of us

is obligated, at least for a spell,

to identify ourselves as

citizens of that other place.

Susan Sontag
Good gracious, thank you, that is extraordinary ... i love the last two lines especially. Thank you so much!! love Kindred aka Geraldinexxx