Dad terminally ill, no will, stepmum has dementia

TenBob

Sep 21, 2018
My Dad didn't write a will and he's not got much time left. What happens to his estate when his wife has dementia?

I've tried searching for information on this before posting here, but not found anything that describes our situation. It's probably the stress!

Hoping someone can help. Thank you.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
The fact that his wife has dementia is irrelevant. Without a will she will legally inherit. Does anyone have POA for her?

TenBob

Sep 21, 2018
The fact that his wife has dementia is irrelevant. Without a will she will legally inherit. Does anyone have POA for her?
My Dad applied for POA but it was rejected due to errors! So, nobody has POA.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If your mum is no longer able to understand about signing a POA then I think it would be a good idea to get the ball rolling for someone to apply for Court of Protection deputyship as it can take several moths to come through. You can download the forms and fill them in yourself, it doesnt need a solicitor. There is a fair bit of paper shuffling involved, but I found it doable.

TenBob

Sep 21, 2018
If your mum is no longer able to understand about signing a POA then I think it would be a good idea to get the ball rolling for someone to apply for Court of Protection deputyship as it can take several moths to come through. You can download the forms and fill them in yourself, it doesnt need a solicitor. There is a fair bit of paper shuffling involved, but I found it doable.
We'll look into that, thank you.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
We'll look into that, thank you.

Dear TenBob,

If your step-mum still has capacity you could still do the POA (and I would suggest both POAs) on the internet and without a solicitor. All your step-mum would need to do is sign the forms but try to explain the form to her and any siblings of yours.

MaNaAk

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Actually if there is no will then the rules for intestacy apply. If your father does have mental capacity I would strong suggest he makes a will quickly . My husband and I have made wills which safeguard the position of our children if one partner dies and subsequently remarries. Obviously these things are better not done in haste but intestacy is a real pain to deal with and can lead to significant from any estate being spent on solicitors fees. https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will