Hospital advice

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
my nan hasn’t dementia confirmed by docs due to symptoms but they aren’t sure what type as she refuses the CT scan she is also diabetic. Her blood sugars are very up and down and have been for years but the diabetic nurse she has at home said not many diabetics live till 80 so we and her are doing something right. Anyway last Sunday she had a low blood sugar and was refusing to eat so we had to call a ambulance they took her into hospital due to her blood pressure being a little high. It’s been a week she’s been in now and she’s refused food for a whole week and isn’t drinking because all she keeps saying is she doesn’t wanna be in there. She usually eats and drinks at home she isn’t sick and I feel her being in there is gonna make her sick due to her refusing food and drink. Is there anything I can do to get her out!?? All she’s receiving in there is fluids

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
Hi Natasha,

These situations are worrisome. Whilst you may feel it would be better that she is home there are reasons for your Nan to have been admitted and, as importantly, that she is being kept in.

With dementia what can be difficult in a home environment can explode in a hospital one. Not that it is due to hospital but that being out of what is known can mean that the dementia becomes more noticeable.

You might consider calling the Alzheimer's Society for guidance. Another good, sensible source of guidance is Admiral Nurses. Both contacts are below.

Alzheimer's Society - opens at 9.00 am Monday

0300 222 11 22

Admiral Nurses - open until 5.00 pm today and then opening at 9.00 am Monday.
0800 888 6678

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Presumably someone is monitoring her blood sugars while she is there.

How will you cope if she comes home and still refuses to eat?

Can you negociate with her? ''You start eating and drinking Nan, and they will no doubt let you home''.
If you believe she is consciously refusing food and drink ( because she doesnt want to be there) she is consciously able to start eating and drinking again, to meet her desire to go home.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
"Last Sunday she had low blood sugar and was refusing to eat." That was before she was taken to hospital so I'm afraid your conclusion that she would start eating again when home is not logical, and no doctor would allow her home on the strength of that. I'm afraid you need to be realistic and accept she's had a downturn and needs the hospital to look after her.

Has she been checked for infection, have her gums been inspected and a referral been made to the SALT team?

Last edited:

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
Presumably someone is monitoring her blood sugars while she is there.

How will you cope if she comes home and still refuses to eat?

Can you negociate with her? ''You start eating and drinking Nan, and they will no doubt let you home''.
If you believe she is consciously refusing food and drink ( because she doesnt want to be there) she is consciously able to start eating and drinking again, to meet her desire to go home.

No she has gone hypo and usually while hypo we can get food or lucozade down here but she wouldn’t coperate due to her sugar being too low and was falling asleep this isn’t something that happens usually so we had no choice but to call aambulance.
"Last Sunday she had low blood sugar and was refusing to eat." That was before she was taken to hospital so I'm afraid your conclusion that she would start eating again when home is not logical, and no doctor would allow her home on the strength of that. I'm afraid you need to be realistic and accept she's had a downturn and needs the hospital to look after her.

Has she been checked for infection, have her gums been inspected and a referral been made to the SALT team?

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
No she has gone hypo and usually while hypo we can get food or lucozade down here but she wouldn’t coperate due to her sugar being too low and was falling asleep this isn’t something that happens usually so we had no choice but to call aambulance.
She has carers 3 times a day and we eats food and drinks plenty of tea. We also cook for her and she has a good appetite. After 3 days in hospital she has stopped eating and drinking telling me she doesn’t wanna be there she’s very stubborn. She has no infection apart from blood sugar she up and down which is normal for her hence why she ha District Nurses twice a day at home and her diabetic team said it’s her age why it’s like that. They have now put her on fluids due to her refusing tea and she loves a cuppa and will drink around 10 a day at home.

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
She has carers 3 times a day and we eats food and drinks plenty of tea. We also cook for her and she has a good appetite. After 3 days in hospital she has stopped eating and drinking telling me she doesn’t wanna be there she’s very stubborn. She has no infection apart from blood sugar she up and down which is normal for her hence why she ha District Nurses twice a day at home and her diabetic team said it’s her age why it’s like that. They have now put her on fluids due to her refusing tea and she loves a cuppa and will drink around 10 a day at home.
That same eve of her going hypo she had eaten and that’s normal for her. Sometimes she will get up and start cleaning about which makes her sugars go low

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
But now she’s refusing food and drink which is nowhere near normal for my nan.

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
Also the hospital didn’t give her insulin for 2 days they said they didn’t realise she was insulin dependent. I went in and saw her sugars were sky high and asked why they said they didn’t know. I said how much insulin are yous given her they said none as they wasn’t sure she was on it even tho it’s down on her files she’s been on it for 52 years

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Has anyone spoken to your Nan's consultant to ask for an update with regards to her care plan, to find out why they are keeping her in? In a previous thread you mentioned that your Nan has a social worker - maybe it's worth contacting them for advice?

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
Has anyone spoken to your Nan's consultant to ask for an update with regards to her care plan, to find out why they are keeping her in? In a previous thread you mentioned that your Nan has a social worker - maybe it's worth contacting them for advice?

I spoke to the doc who told me they were waiting for her water sample to come back which takes 48 hours. It’s been 4 days and they keep telling me they are waiting for it to come back. I asked them medically what’s wrong they said just the blood sugars but it’s no different to her being at home and her diabetic nurse said they wil prob never get them under control due to her age. She’s usually so happy and bubbly and lives at home alone and is still quite independent. I go in and she’s just sitting in the chair like a dif person she’s like this anytime she’s in hospital then when she’s home back to normal but this time saying she’s not eating and she misses her dog.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
It's usual for something which they say is going to take 48hrs to be delayed over a weekend so you'll possibly hear something tomorrow. Perhaps her diabetic nurse could get in touch to explain your Nan's medical history? Hospital's are not nice so I can see why you want your Nan out but they are normally quick to discharge someone as soon as they are medically fit.

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
It's usual for something which they say is going to take 48hrs to be delayed over a weekend so you'll possibly hear something tomorrow. Perhaps her diabetic nurse could get in touch to explain your Nan's medical history? Hospital's are not nice so I can see why you want your Nan out but they are normally quick to discharge someone as soon as they are medically fit.
Tried that already nobody can get hold of her and I don’t have a direct number. I’m going back up first thing to try and get some answers again