So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Have a great holiday, Slugsta and Ann, we’ll be thinking of you!

Had a great nights sleep!

Yesterday was the first day this summer when our temp did not go over 20 C. Winters on the way!

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Have a great holiday slugs

Make sure that we have ample grape juice of your choice, rest and relaxation. I say we, as we are relying on you to relax as much as possible on our behalf :D

send photos if you can

Xxxxxxxxxx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Good to hear you had a great nights sleep spanner

Edited : oops Spamar :D

Even tho I think I have a comfy bed.... Strangely I had an even more comfy bed at a hotel recently. Could I sleep in this hotel bed?? Heck no!! I snugged up relishing the cosy but missed my bed :rolleyes:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
@Slugsta have a great holiday

@2jays - well done on managing your summer holiday juggling, with 1Jays illness and lots and lots of little ones, including one needing extra support, and the 'professional' builders you've packed in a lot (and a TP funeral - thanks for going)

@Spamar glad your mattress has arrived, hope all your aches and pains are slowly feeling better

My juggling continues, I did a cyclocross race yesterday, in the pouring rain, think my race got the worst of it, which makes for lots of liquid mud splashed up on kit. The field had also recently been used by cattle, so lots of green patches on kit, and the water ran green (cowpats are very dark green if you looked closely - the cattle had likely only been moved off the field on Friday so not time to become a set cowpat - still very soft:eek::eek:)

I rode well, dau rode well, but after a reasonable summer, normal teenage service has resumed and she didn't do her fair share of packing or unpacking or moving water etc to or from the pits.

Edited to add photo link - please note the amount of mud covering me, this is only 4 or 5 minutes into what for me was a 44 minute effort.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100713057@N05/44509094252

Last edited:

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
If that's true, 2Jays, JM is going to have smooth and youthful shins and knees! Probably in too late, but have a great holiday, Slugsta.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Preparations collected from a farmer's field are infinitely cheaper than OTC products!
Not that I know the price range of such items, farmer's field product is usually FOC

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Years ago a friend and I were doing a job, as we walked away, we decided that we had had all this free treatment, aerobic exercise, mud pack for face hands and legs, day out in fresh air, suntan, plus a few other bits. And we were getting paid for it!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

Loads of apologies for not getting on here at all this last week! It has been manic, in terms of hours spent on new project, a couple of other 'work things', OH with man flu (and to be fair, he really has been ill) and the fibro chosing this week to flare up really badly!

Slugsta - hoping you are having a fabulous, relaxing holiday xxx

2jays - bless you, sounds like it has been an exhausting and sad time for you. Hoping the start of school will help give the Grandkids something positive to focus on, and help them cope with their difficult situation. And hoping you are able to get a little bit more of a break now xxx

Spamar, really hope the new mattress, and the exercises, help with the aches and pains - and I hope you are standing up straight! xxx

JM - glad I don't have to do your laundry, hun - that was a heck of a lot of mud (and cow pats, by the sound of it!). Youngest here is still having her teen strops on occasion - partly because she is packing in hours at work, and at weekends is currently doing her level 2 teaching certificate (swimming), and is shattered. But also partly just because she is a teenager. Had a few instances of me blowing at the way she has spoken to me - me being naggy with pain, and her stropping are not a good mix at times!

I haven't been to see Mil for over a week. Mainly because of the fibro. Starting last Sunday night, I've had a run of sore days and sleepless nights because of it. Sunday was probably made worse by the zoo day - I knew darn well that I'd reached the point where I should have called it a day at about 3pm, but I was so enjoying the company of my 'photo-buddies' that I pushed on for another 2 hours. Result - less than 2 hours solid sleep on Sunday night, me hobbling all day Monday (when I had a lot to do work-wise) followed by another bad night . . . . then another bad day, where I ended up working 10 hours straight . . . and then another bad night, and so on, right up till last night, when I actually got about 5 hours solid sleep, and have woken this morning feeling a lot less stiff and sore than I have been. As said, OH has had man flu for the latter half of the week, which has added to the fun - and the lovely mood that generally accompanies man flu has been further enhanced (not!) by him also having a heavy week in work, combined with him dealing with car insurance, because a neighbour backed off their drive and into his car. Damage to drivers door, nothing that rendered the car undrivable (thank goodness) but, had to be sorted, obviously. He did go to see Mil earlier this week (before the flu manifested) and found her 'fiesty' - that seems to be the buzz word to discribe her at the moment, which translates to her being very vocal in terms of swearing and sudden angry verbal outbursts, combined with frequent but unpredictable instances of her suddenly smacking out, or throwing her drink, or her going from 'stroking' or holding someones hand to suddenly gouging or scratching.

He is off work today, thanks to a rota change, so will be with me this afternoon for the latest 1-1 review for Mil. In the meantime, I have pushed forward with the complaint against the CHC and HBM, putting it through the 'Concerns team' at the Health Board. Much to my surprise, the initial response was actually supportive, with the person I spoke to expressing disgust at what I outlined. But, not holding my breath . . . now waiting for the very slow wheels to turn, to see what the next stage is. If there is no progress by the time we return from out holiday, then I will be contacting local MP's, etc - I should have done that this last week, as some of you have advised, but I really haven't been able to give that course of action the time or focus that it will need, because of everything else. I have no idea what today will bring, other than being absolutely certain that the HBM, taking advantage of DR J's absence, will be hell bent and determined to at least cut Mil's 1-1 care today. We have responses ready to her claims of wanting the 'outcomes' for Mil to include her 'being safe' and 'not being isolated' - but heaven only knows what else this damn woman will have thought up since last week. I will log back in and let you all know how the meeting has gone before I go on Monday.

I finished work yesterday, sorted one or two things ready for us to get off on Monday - but still have lots to do, including sorting the last of the spends - and the packing! Also on the to-be done list is to pick up my 'script for pain killers, deal with the Lily Savage grey in my hair, sort my nails, clear out the fridge, and stock up food for dau whilst we are away. Knowing her, its a case of packing freezer with pizza, the makings of fajita's, soup, beans, salad and micro chips! Having left a more varied and healthy selection of food when we have gone away before - and on my return throwing most of it out - I don't see the point of doing that again. She will go for quick and minimum effort when it comes to feeding herself. I've told her to keep some of her 'keep' back to buy anything else she needs, which will no doubt translate into take-aways.

I did manage to give the new lens a good workout at the zoo last week. A new camera strap and changing the way I carry the camera between shots helped to reduce the strain from the weight of the lens, and I managed it pretty well - that had been a big concern for me, tbh - I was worrying that having finally got the lens that I had been wanting for so long, I would find it way too heavy to manage. It's not a lens I would carry around every day, but for zoo days, or bird days or days at Nature reserves, it's an amazing bit of kit to have. It's still a learning process - this lens is more than twice the length (and about 4 times the size) of the biggest lens I've used before, and has some new features for me to get to grips with, but so far, absolutely loving it. Leaving you all with lots of love as always, and a few of the pics from the zoo :)

0G8A0146.jpg

0G8A0223.jpg

0G8A0294.jpg

0G8A0627.jpg

0G8A0732.jpg

0G8A0848.jpg

0G8A0996.jpg

0G8A1225.jpg

Take care, all xxxx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Oh Ann !!

2 reasons for the Oh Ann !! Two different tones....

1) Those photos are wonderful. I know the lens helps but even so, such beautiful photos

2) what are you doing to yourself?? Clearly not looking after you!!

Life here seems to be getting back on to a relatively even keel. The boiler is being replaced as the old one now has parts that are obsolete (know that feeling :) )
With 1 jay needing heat, especially during the winter, thought it a good idea to replace it. Also solves the issue of the piping to the new radiator as the work done by “professional” builder is not fit for purpose :rolleyes:

Grandpeople seem to be relishing their school days. Situation with one seems to be settling and resolving to a degree. They seem much more content so that’s what matters

Had a lovely visit to Sam, I know the reason for the visit wasn't so lovely, but She’s a lovely person, we seem to have had almost, nearly, mirror upbringing.... and she lives on the beach so why wouldn’t I go :)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Ann, those photos are fabulous! Like The Thinker and the orang utan. In fact, all of them. Changing the way of carrying your camera reminds me that the physio suggested it would be better for me to put my handbag over my left shoulder rather than my bad right shoulder. Well, I do if it’s weighty! I hate having to carry a bag like that, but try using two sticks and having a bag hanging from one ( sloping) shoulder! Having said that, it’s been a lot better the last few days. Passed the ache to right hip instead. I think I was curled up in chair reading for too long the other day!
Sorry to hear you fibro not good. I think you’re in a much worse position than me!

If I don’t get round to posting, have a fabulous holiday! You certainly deserve it!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Been thinking about carrying lens/camera
Is there a harness type thing that you could wear like a back pack thingy, clip lens/camera to this thingy, so it takes the weight??

Have a great time in feurta

We off to lands-a-grotty end of November

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Let’s hope it’s not grotty for you, 2 jays!

I go to Minsmere (RSPB) for coffee sometimes. I don’t think I have seen anyone who can carry camera and scope with any ease!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

I think shell shocked best described me after yesterdays 1-1 review with the HBM! OH and I arrived at the home, and it didn't get off to a great start. As we drove into the car park, we spotted a gentleman that we knew was a resident, by himself and carrying a mug of tea, leaving the car park on foot. OH went to intercept him, whilst I rang like fury on the doorbell - it was opened by a member of staff, I explained the situation as OH guided the resident towards the front door, and we got him in - it was only when the manager emerged from her office (right by the front door) that I spotted the HBM was also in there, and watching what was going on. Given her tendency to question the homes competence to try and deflect from her short-commings, it wasn't the best thing to have happened :(

Anyway, we went into Mil, found her (as usual at the moment) 'fiesty' - very shouty (and sweary) and she had apparently been trying to wrestle the 1-1 file from her staff and hit them with it. She also didn't look too well - her face looked drawn and quite 'grey', though there was no other sign that she was poorly. Very clingy, not wanting to let go of OH's hand, and asking repeatedly would he or I take her 'home' or take her to 'our house - very rare we get the pleas for home these days, but it still has the effect of making me so sad for her.

Through to the meeting, both OH and I prepared for a battle - and we had the wind completely taken out of our sails by HBM and her little minion (she generally has an underling with her), when the first thing she did was announce that she had 'no intention' of cutting or removing any of Mils 1-1 hours! While OH and I sat there, completely shell shocked, she went on to say that she was, however, drawing up a list of 'activities' that she wanted implemented with Mil and asked us what we thought she would enjoy doing?

I don't know what has prompted this sudden change. Talking afterwards, we wondered if me submitting the formal complaint earlier in the week had something to do with it? Or could it be that Mil had once again attacked a member of staff the day before, managing to grip him and inflict some really nasty scratches and gouges on the poor guys arms (the manager described the resulting injuries as 'looking like a bad case of self harm :( ) ? Or (more likely) HBM has something else up her sleeve? Either way, we got a very firm promise that Mils hours would NOT be changed whilst we were away, and in fact, they wouldn't be changed at all unless we were consulted first. We left the meeting relieved that we wouldn't have the fear of her care being cut whilst we were away hanging over us - but also with an itch between our shoulder blades, as we can't and don't trust the HBM at all!

(The manager also told us that two days ago, Mil had started to sing some 'really rude' ditties and recite some 'really rude' poems - apparently, she gathered quite an audience around her, and had staff and some residents almost crying with laughter! I didn't even know that she knew any 'rude' songs and poems!)

Back to Mil, who totally blanked me, only had eyes for OH - which didn't stop her hitting him at one point. I did try and talk to her, but she turned on me, quite aggressively telling me where to go, so I backed right off - it ws only shortly before we left that she was suddenly 'friends' with me again. No idea why I was out of favour - she hadn't a clue who I was, but at one point was calling me 'Cyril' (?), so maybe this 'Cyril' is someone from her past that she doesn't like? Who knows? We sayed for about 45 minutes with her, before leaving - and for the first time in a long time, she tried to get up and follow us :(

Been thinking about carrying lens/camera
Is there a harness type thing that you could wear like a back pack thingy, clip lens/camera to this thingy, so it takes the weight??

[/QUOTE

I go to Minsmere (RSPB) for coffee sometimes. I don’t think I have seen anyone who can carry camera and scope with any ease!

I have a 'camera harness', 2jays - but its really awkward and annoying to put on, or take off - and to be hoest, I don't find it makes much of a difference. When I have the 'big lens' on the camera, I actually carry it by cradling it close to my body - like a baby, lol - and I found it not too bad at all.

Enjoy Lands-a-grotty - not been there yet, but (like a lt of other places) its on the list! And so glad that the Grandkids, especially the one having the especially hard time - are getting some distraction and comfort from school. Good news on the boiler too - though really bad about the origional builder!

No - not easy to carry, Spamar, but cradling it as I described to 2jays makes it easier. I was more worried about lifting and holding it steady to take pics - but I also invested in a very lightweigfht (and expensive!) camera bean bag, which weighs very little, and clips to my camera strap. Its brilliant - any handy wall or fence or surface, and I can rest the camera on the bean bag, and it holds it as steady as my tripod would :) Lucky you, living near Minsmere - isn't that where either Spring or Autumn watch have been broadcast from in the past?

I have to watch out if I sit in the same position for too long too, Spamar - OH says its like sitting next to an eel sometimes, because I constantly have to move a reposition myself to try and stop either of my hips or back aching. Same in bed - we have a really good orthopedic mattress, and mattress topper, but still there are many nights where I just toss and turn because any length of time spent in one position causes pain . No fun at all :(

Still got the hair to deal with, food shop for dau and the scripts to do - but just about everything else done. Fitted camera gear in padded cases inside my cabin case - just hope they don't weigh it! Actually got packing done without discovering that I'd forgotten to buy one or more essentials - usually ther is a last minute dive to the shops, but all good this time. The plan now is to put Kindle, phone and cash in the front pocket of cabin case, in a small bag, which I will whip out just before OH loads the case into the overheads for the flight, so I will have my reading material handy. OH printed off all documents yesterday (Yes -I know most can just be shown on your phone, but a couple of trips back, OH dropped phone whilst we were away, broke it and there was panic as a result - now he takes no chances). He is in work the next two days, right up to 9pm tomorrow and dau's weekends are currently taken up with her level 2 swim teaching training, so I have peace and quiet to 'pootle' and get everything I need to sort done before we go :)

I don'tknow if I will get chance to get on here again before we leave, so will send much love to all of you xxxxxx See you all when we get back xxxxx

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Perhaps she's not planning anything but knows she is vulnerable to a complaint because she hasn't followed procedure? Also, we don't know who else may have complained about her. Anyway, if she's said that in front of witnesses, she's made it more difficult for herself to retract it now.
So have a wonderful holiday and try not to think about any of this! {hug}

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Have a great holiday. Relax, photo everything and enjoy

lanzarote is only a boat ride away. If you do decide to visit, leave it tidy for us :D

I will have a look in my garage for the baby sling for your camera, save you hugging the camera like a baby :D

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Expert friend said a back bag for camera etc is best, but a nuisance to put on and off. No really good method, especially if you’ve got a tripod as well.
I think it was four years ago that they did Springwatch from Minsmere ( for 3 years). Became even more popular! It’s 6 miles away, the back roads I take. The correct, signposted way is at least 2 miles further, but the roads are wider! But still not very wide! They have a good cafe, much praised by Chris Packham! They also have some electric wheelchairs, which I have used. Was offered one this morning, but had gone for coffee and some shopping. Treated myself to warm scones with jam and cream.
Though I was a little shocked at lots of Christmas stuff. Have no idea why, cos most of the shops are similar.
Got orders to look up The I’d of a flower. I’d noticed it earlier and couldn’t remember name, but didn’t look it up. Now I’ll just have to go back next week for another cup of coffee.