Good afternoon, I have just joined this forum.

Chae

Sep 12, 2018
I would welcome any thoughts or help in regard to my mum's current behaviour and I do think that she has early signs of dementia. At the moment myself and my sister are trying to get her to go to see her GP for a " regular check up" , that's how we are selling it to her, sometimes she agrees but then doesn't action it, other times she says no outright. I neither want to bully her or take away her right to decide, nor keep going on about it, which causes her to become quite or change the subject. Does anyone have any other suggestions please?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Chae, welcome to the forum, which I hope you will find to be a friendly and supportive place.

What you are doing is the right thing and standard advice here so do let us know how you get on.

Now that you have found us I hope you will make use of the site as it is a goldmine for information.

If you want to start a bit of research the Publications list is a good place and you can find that with this link

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

Chae

Sep 12, 2018
Thank you, I will add a little back ground info about mum. She is 83 and has always been a strong, independent lady. We lost my father in Dec 1999. Mom lived in the family home on her own until 2005 until she met a man , who both her and my father had known as a friend for many years , they had had many an adventure together with him and His wife. He had also lost his wife in the early 2000,s and Mom and N began courting, it seemed a natural liaison for them and they found love and support in each other's company. Mom moved in with him in 2007.
Fast forward to 2018. Mom needed to have an hip opporation and was starting to become a little forgetful and confused at times, but was deemed fit to have major surgery, and to be honest they managed to pull the wool over the eyes of the medical professionals , who thought all was good mentally.
She had the op in May and everything has gone down hill since. The op was successful but the affects of the general anaesthetic have accelerated and dramatically induced the onset of what I believe is dementia/ Alzheimer's . everything has changed, her demeanour , her reasoning, her ability to remember, she is having flashbacks to things that happened in hospital but she thinks they are happening now, and she is becoming more and more upset and distressed about all these things that are making her head" fuzzy" . She is unable to work out what is happening and I know it is frightening her, she becomes withdrawn and emotional. He relationship with her partner has changed and he putting his head in the sand and trying to carry on as normal. He has been diagnosed with Prostrate cancer and it appears that he is going to have to have chemotherapy , I have no idea how much my mom understands and I am concerned for both of them now.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello again @Chae , any vulnerable adult is entitled to a needs assessment and if I were you I would think about this option.

I know I linked the publications list to you but this is a specific fact sheet that may help

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...assessment_for_care_in_support_in_england.pdf

When talking to the officials using terms like ‘vulnerable adult’ and their ‘duty of care’ will stand more chance of getting attention. It is the Local Authority who have the legal duty of care rather than you.

Chae

Sep 12, 2018
Thanks, I will have a read through , maybe print it off for easier ref. Cheers

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hello Chae, sound like you have a lot on your plate at the moment so it might be good to contact social services to have your mum assessed then take it from there. Once they come round to do an assessment, they give you lots of brochures with dozens of contacts. Sad about your stepdad too. Hope he is getting the treatment he needs and can cope with that. It must be so hard for him with his own health issues.
Wishing you love and luck as you go through this difficult time. There will always be someone on here who an offer support and advice. Sorry I can't give you more advice but relatively new to it all myself. Good luck!

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
In terms of getting her to the GP, would you be able to make the appointment for her and go with her? I had the same feeling as you about taking away my mother's 'right to choose' at this stage of her dementia, but actually having to choose/remember to do these things was making her anxious, she wasn't really capable of doing it. So when I arranged it, and my OH accompanied her, she was quite happy about that. We told her the GP asked all ladies over 70 to go for this annual check and she could ask about anything which was worrying her. Don't feel you are bullying her, you're just guiding her to do what needs to be done. This tactic might not work for your mum, but there might be something helpful in there for you.

Chae

Sep 12, 2018
Thank you both for your kind suggestions and support. Social services don't seem to want any intervention at this point, Mum has not had a formal diagnosis and they will only take action when they get a referral from her GP, I know this may not be a national approach but it seems to be the case in our area.
I intend on gently trying to get her to go for a check up with her consent, and I have now got her partner's daughter on board, who is understandably concerned about her Dad , who is refusing to give her any information concerning himself. I am taking mum to get her hair done tomorrow and get to spend a little time with her on her own, I guess it really is step by step, little by little until such a time where she is a danger to herself or starts to tick the boxes for Social Service intervention. Karaokepete sent me the criteria for SS intervention and mom doesn't tick boxes.!! Yet!

Chae

Sep 12, 2018
Making an appointment with her GP is tricky, I work full time and due to the nature of my job I am out at 06.30 and back after 18.30 most week days, with no way of having time out, unless I book a day Annual leave, so it really does all hinge around mum agreeing. Her partner will take her , no problem, but only if she asks him too.
Thank you again, it is such a blessing to know that people care and are happy to give their time to helping others. Sincere thanks

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Good luck with the appointment. Hope all goes well and that you feel positive about doing things and moving forward xx

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
What you could do is email the surgery before hand with a list of your concerns. I did this, and though the GP was sceptical at first (mum is good at doing well at mini memory tests), the third time I got her there, he gave up on the tests and asked her about the neighbours. The out-pouring of paranoia that followed made him realise that there really was a problem that needed further investigation.