Vascular Dementia- what's next?

DeeADee

Sep 10, 2018
Hello,
My 81 year old grandmother has recently been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia but so far that is all we have been told. Her doctor said he didn't want to put her through tests or a brain scan as that would involve sedating her.
Her behaviour has been concerning for quite a while but it is only recently she has been diagnosed, partially down to my grandfather being in denial that something was wrong.
Just a little idea of her behaviour
  • Asking for people who have been dead for quite some time like her mum.
  • Doesn't recognise most of her family.
  • Wandering
  • Seems to have concept of time, 5 minutes seems like an hour to her etc
  • Not sleeping
  • Wearing coats, multiple jumpers, handbags etc all the time regardless of weather.
  • Refusing to actually go out shopping etc which she used to do daily
  • Verbally and at times physically aggressive.
  • Won't shower or change clothes willingly
  • Refusing medication
  • Not eating
  • Unsteady and generally agitated
We just don't really know what's next or how far advanced this is. We've been told an occupational therapist will come out to her home to see if they can help with eating soon though. Just looking for an idea of what happens now or what they can do?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @DeeADee, I hope you find the forum a friendly and supportive place.

I think you may find much of interest in the Publications list as the behaviours you describe are quite common. You can find the Publications list with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

You may also get something of use out of checking for support services in your area and you can do a post code check by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

Now that you have found us do have a good look around the site and feel free to ask any specific questions you may have.

Last edited:

Pacucho

Hello,

I have just read your post about your grandmother.

Just in case you have not already done so it would be a good idea to find out what support services are available in the area where your grandmother lives, such as dementia cafés, carer support groups, local carers centre (who can help with benefits, etc.). This will help with understanding more about dementia and finding out what your grandmother is entitled to in terms of support, such as possibly attendance allowance and a discount on council tax.
Hope this helps,

Paco