Feet and slippers question?

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Looking for suggestions please, because I'm struggling to find suitable slippers for dad.

Ideally I'd love to find a mobile service that could visit his care home and fit them properly. Does anyone know of (or use) a service like this? I don't even know if such a thing exists!

I've already bought several pairs of slippers but nothing fits properly. Dad needs a half size, and his big toe nails are sore (which his care home are aware of) so footwear needs to be roomy as well as secure. Cosyfeet look ok but don't do half sizes, so are too big or too small.

I've wondered about open toes but his mobility is so poor they might cause him to trip :-/. Also they look like they might rest on his sore nails.

Any help would be appreciated!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
There is usually a Foot Health Department that like the Continence Service is a community health service and therefore free of charge. They can clip toenails, check feet, measure and provide insoles, and often shoes too. I don't know the situation regarding slippers but they should at least be able to look after his sore toe nails. Best to ask the doctor attached to the care home for a referral. They ought to do home visits.

Rosie7

Oct 30, 2014
Hi just wondering if he sees a chiropodist. I get Dad to see one every 6 weeks or so.I know some care homes have them come in. They might also be able to recommend a supplier.It was Dads that recommended cosy feet but he doesn't need a half size .

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Thanks to you both... I didn't know about the foot health dept, Beate, so I'll investigate that. Dad's care home has a chiropodist coming in, who I haven't spoken to directly, so maybe I need to do that too.

I've just noticed there's a cosy feet stockist nearby me, so I might ask to loan a couple of pairs, and take back the ones that don't fit. Maybe it'll just take a different style. It doesn't solve his sore nails though, which really need sorting out.

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
We bought slippers from a company called Cosyfeet - there's a section on their website where you can type in the foot ailments, and they will advise slippers which may suit. We found them to be very good, and bought several pairs for MIL.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
I would avoid open toe style - as you have said, I would think it's a trip hazard.

As you have Cosy Feet in your area, I would try them - explain the situation and ensure that if you buy several pairs to try you can return what is unsuitable and get a refund. I have seen their catalogue and they seem to cater for a range of fittings.

You could also try The Shoe Tailor - I bought on line for hubby. They have a good range of men's slippers, regular and wide fittings. Maybe a wide fitting would give good toe room and velcro fastening would ensure snug fit. Anything not suitable can be returned, postage free, so you can order any number to try at home.

We don't have shops locally but I have found The Shoe Tailor a good option.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Hi
My Mum had sore toenail, which pushed on shoes/slippers causing pain.
Mum is still living at her home so I managed to sort the problem by soaking her feet every night 15 mins warm water and apple cider vinegar, then 15 mins warm water and bicarbonate of soda, dry the feet and put tea tree oil on the offending nail. Mums has cleared up now.
It may be difficult for the home to do this, but I’m sure they would be able to apply the tea tree, which I think really helped. I found amazon has some great options to buy tea tree at a good price, of course I used amazon smile so donation made to alzheimers.

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm definitely going to avoid the open toe type (too much of a risk) but will have a look at shoe tailor and the shoe zone link. I love apple cider vinegar myself, and tea tree, but it's difficult as I only see dad once a week (due to distance). I'll be visiting the care home today though so will make more noise about having his feet properly cared for, plus taking yet more slippers over to try on. I'll let you know how it goes!

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Quick update - the chiropodist came to see dad at the care home yesterday and I managed to speak to her. Apparently his big toes have become hyperextended (curling upwards) and are pressing on his slippers. He was complaining of pain all weekend. So she treated them, put a dressing on and has cut a hole in his slippers to give his toes the room they need. She suggested walking sandals... I still don't like this idea given dad's difficulty walking. But maybe it's the only solution? I had taken two pairs of cosyfeet slippers with me to the care home and it's one of those pairs that she had to cut up!

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Gosh, sometimes I wonder 'what else'?! He's covered in bruises and grazes from recent bumps and scrapes (the warfarin doesn't help), we can hardly communicate anymore, and it's painful to watch him trying to walk (heart in mouth time). Sigh.

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Well, I've had to buy sandals in the end, from cosyfeet. I'm still not happy about it but dad's feet fell forward in the adapted slippers, which was a bigger risk than sandals.

I've suggested to the care home manager that if he doesn't get on with the sandals (struggles to walk, or they hurt, or he stumbles at all) then we'll have to go through the GP for a referral to the foot health dept as suggested by Beate. Foot health nurses already visit residents who have diabetes, and I'm all out of ideas! So we'll see!