Can I ... Should I?

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
Morning Sam and All, I've had a lot to catch up on on your thread!

I'm so sorry about your Dad's oldest friend, I would think his funeral will be very emotional for you but in some odd way helpful - does that make sense? I just remember an old, close family friend dying a week before my Dad did and I went to her funeral to represent my Mum, as well as wanting to show my respects to a lovely lady. It was emotional, but a very good "practise run" (hope I'm not offending anyone with this), in that it reminded me which pockets were best for tissues, to leave mints out in my pocket (for easy access to enable me to suck to halt the tears, as I'm an over-emotional idiot at funerals and can't keep a dignified front to save my life!) and not to have alcohol beforehand!

So good you got the Order of Service printed out and you've done so much with the house, but I'm glad you've seen a chance to ease back a little while it goes on to the market, to take a breather and think.

I'm finding lots of comfort in tracking down places that can re-use Mum's disability aids - ramps, commode etc and Dad's tools that nearly fill a room and that we've not been able to deal with for 9 whole years because Mum needed so much care. But I have been lucky that I've been able to take the time to do it slowly. I now need to get a wriggle on as we need to get the house on the market soon and I need to look for a (rented, oh dear) home for me and Little Cat who Adopted Mum and me last year.
That ^^ was a very long-winded way of saying Thank You Sam for being inspirational and getting me motivated by reading your wonderful, humorous posts, despite you having gone through such a traumatic time while coping with your Mum's death.

I do hope you, Toony and Slugsta (have a wonderful time away!), get to meet up and empty Toony's alco-hole, and Pooch settles once he realises that each time you go out - you come back to him.

I am depositing (((((hugs)))) for you and Pooch, hope they come in useful xxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Sam - just popping in to say I am reading, but haven't had a chance to reply, still in the mire of sorting son's school uniform, and dau's hair back to an acceptable colour for school.

Sending you some hugs - well done on getting funeral order of service etc sorted.

Glad you've seen the wood for the trees on time to clear house.

Hopefully I'll pop in properly later in the week.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Prudence9

In a way going to G’s funeral will be helpful, it gives me something to focus on when Mums is over, my calendar was empty, but I now have things to do next week & that makes me feel better. I’m going to go up the day before & see @Margi29, then drive over & see @rosy18 so I get to see people too :)

I’ve had a go at the bathroom today, it’s now looking much cleaner & I've slapped a coat of white pain over it to brighten it up. I won’t need to buy conditioner for about 6 months lol. I’ve found about 12 bottles!!

I’m pleased with the Order of Service & am glad it’s done. I have pockets of completed items, which make me feel like I’m getting somewhere. My boot is almost full, so I’ll be able to take that to the charity warehouse in the morning. I won’t be able to fill it again for Friday, so I want to get as much out as I can tomorrow. The more I clear, the more space I have to put things into, out of sight, for photos etc, while I go through the next room. I still need to tackle the office & my room :eek: My room has been left pretty much for the last 3 years, with everything crammed in waiting for me to sort it out. It’s going to be a marathon to figure it out :rolleyes: I literally dumped my life in one room & crawled over it to get into bed. The remains of a 4 bed house in one room with a king size solid pine bed :eek: There’s not a lot of room :D

I have no idea what I will be looking at when the house sells. Part of me wants a tiny cottage in the middle of nowhere, the other part wants to house share, so there are people around. I did see a 7 bed house in Colchester & thought I could run a B&B type place lol. See, I’m looking at everything :D

I’m glad you got motivated by my ramblings :p Maybe I could hire myself out as a motivational declutterer :D

I’m planning on lots of meet ups, making a right nuisance of myself, visiting old friends, meeting “new” ones, but mostly taking things at a much slower pace. I don’t want to go back to high pressure finance work, making money for other people while going greyer, I want to do something that makes me feel good, so long as I can afford to eat & feed Pooch, it’ll be enough.

I need Pooch to understand that I’ll always come back. He is obviously expecting me to go & not return, it’s really upsetting the way he reacts to me, when I get home. He runs rings round me, brings me his toys, jumps all over me & is so excited to see me. He settles fairly quickly & lies near me or on me, but it’s obvious he has been worried by my being out. I hope he understands soon, as it’s not nice to think he’s so upset

Hugs are always useful, they can cure most ills in my book. I’ll take a few now, to snuggle with Pooch. I’m going to walk him round the block then go find some rubbish TV to curl up to. He does love snuggling up :p

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Slugsta

I sat down to eat lunch around 2, in front of the TV as it means I eat. It also meant I stretched out & fell asleep for an hour, so I’m gradually catching up on sleep.

I still got lots done, so I don’t feel guilty

Are you all packed?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
PHi @Mudgee Joy

I’ve done a couple of mini cruises, my parents did the real ones lol. You don’t get sea sick, the boats are too big & have great stabilisers. It’s not like going on a ferry crossing where you roll, unless you get caught in a bad storm

I’d love to do a proper one ... maybe one day

Hugs grabbed ... they are so comforting after a hard day of clearing out the rubbish

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Clearing out is so hard, Sam. Ive still got half of mums stuff crammed in the small bedroom.
I kept having to go away and having a little weep while I was doing the clearing
((((((hugs))))))

ps - you (and anyone else) are always welcome at my home.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @jugglingmum

It seems like yesterday you were getting the amazing colours, yet it’s already back to boring “normal” for school. We have staggered back to school dates here, some today, some tomorrow & some on Friday. I’ll have to remember to wait till the brats are at school before walking Pooch now

Try a little time for you too lol

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
We all do things differently Sam and in our own time. When I started having to dress Mum so getting her clothes organised I discovered bits of my Dads stuff still in Mums wardrobes. The hat he always wore, his favourite cardi lots of little things. I had no idea Mum had kept them she must have put them to one side as it was me who cleared out Dads things.Made me quite teary to see Dads stuff.Three quarters of Mums clothes in her wardrobe no longer fit. I've had to buy new as everything just drowned her after losing so much weight.

Slugsta I am so jealous. Mum and I loved to cruise together. The last one we did was 5 years ago. I knew it would be Mums last one and was hesitant to do it but we did and apart from a few hiccups it went ok.One night when I came out of the shower back into the bedroom Mum wasn't in the cabin, I opened the cabin door and there was Mum telling the cabin steward she had lost her daughter. Mum was so pleased to see me, asked me where I'd been and said pointing to the wardrobes she couldn't find me in there:eek:
Bon Voyage have a wonderful time.:cool:

Sam maybe we can do a cruise together sometime in the future:D

Poor Pooch more ((((hugs)))) on the way and a special (hug) for him

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
We all do things differently Sam and in our own time. When I started having to dress Mum so getting her clothes organised I discovered bits of my Dads stuff still in Mums wardrobes. The hat he always wore, his favourite cardi lots of little things. I had no idea Mum had kept them she must have put them to one side as it was me who cleared out Dads things.Made me quite teary to see Dads stuff.Three quarters of Mums clothes in her wardrobe no longer fit. I've had to buy new as everything just drowned her after losing so much weight.

Slugsta I am so jealous. Mum and I loved to cruise together. The last one we did was 5 years ago. I knew it would be Mums last one and was hesitant to do it but we did and apart from a few hiccups it went ok.One night when I came out of the shower back into the bedroom Mum wasn't in the cabin, I opened the cabin door and there was Mum telling the cabin steward she had lost her daughter. Mum was so pleased to see me, asked me where I'd been and said pointing to the wardrobes she couldn't find me in there:eek:
Bon Voyage have a wonderful time.:cool:

Sam maybe we can do a cruise together sometime in the future:D

Poor Pooch more ((((hugs)))) on the way and a special (hug) for him
It must have been hard for you, finding things of your dads, kept by your mum. I expect your heart missed a beat on finding your mum missing when leaving shower !!

On the subject of clothes, mum lost about two stone, we also went and bought new clothes, first in one size down, then in next size down :eek:

But the last eight months, and many desserts later, mum has put on some weight, in fact now I need to go get a larger size :rolleyes:

The charity shop must wonder what's happening :) I keep turning up with bags of various sized clothes for them.

The doctor did a blood test, mums cholesterol has gone up ( probably due to rich food to fatten up) I was told by a care of elderly manager ' let your mum have what she loves to eat in her twilight years '
So at 89, anything she wants she gets, I so wish I could eat what I fancied anytime ( a cream bun puts an extra roll on me just looking at it :D )

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Hi @Prudence9

In a way going to G’s funeral will be helpful, it gives me something to focus on when Mums is over, my calendar was empty, but I now have things to do next week & that makes me feel better. I’m going to go up the day before & see @Margi29, then drive over & see @rosy18 so I get to see people too :)

I’ve had a go at the bathroom today, it’s now looking much cleaner & I've slapped a coat of white pain over it to brighten it up. I won’t need to buy conditioner for about 6 months lol. I’ve found about 12 bottles!!

I’m pleased with the Order of Service & am glad it’s done. I have pockets of completed items, which make me feel like I’m getting somewhere. My boot is almost full, so I’ll be able to take that to the charity warehouse in the morning. I won’t be able to fill it again for Friday, so I want to get as much out as I can tomorrow. The more I clear, the more space I have to put things into, out of sight, for photos etc, while I go through the next room. I still need to tackle the office & my room :eek: My room has been left pretty much for the last 3 years, with everything crammed in waiting for me to sort it out. It’s going to be a marathon to figure it out :rolleyes: I literally dumped my life in one room & crawled over it to get into bed. The remains of a 4 bed house in one room with a king size solid pine bed :eek: There’s not a lot of room :D

I have no idea what I will be looking at when the house sells. Part of me wants a tiny cottage in the middle of nowhere, the other part wants to house share, so there are people around. I did see a 7 bed house in Colchester & thought I could run a B&B type place lol. See, I’m looking at everything :D

I’m glad you got motivated by my ramblings :p Maybe I could hire myself out as a motivational declutterer :D

I’m planning on lots of meet ups, making a right nuisance of myself, visiting old friends, meeting “new” ones, but mostly taking things at a much slower pace. I don’t want to go back to high pressure finance work, making money for other people while going greyer, I want to do something that makes me feel good, so long as I can afford to eat & feed Pooch, it’ll be enough.

I need Pooch to understand that I’ll always come back. He is obviously expecting me to go & not return, it’s really upsetting the way he reacts to me, when I get home. He runs rings round me, brings me his toys, jumps all over me & is so excited to see me. He settles fairly quickly & lies near me or on me, but it’s obvious he has been worried by my being out. I hope he understands soon, as it’s not nice to think he’s so upset

Hugs are always useful, they can cure most ills in my book. I’ll take a few now, to snuggle with Pooch. I’m going to walk him round the block then go find some rubbish TV to curl up to. He does love snuggling up :p
Looking forward to seeing you, no wine spritzer though :D I just wish it could have been for longer :(
Sending hugs to you and pooch :)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
....Sam maybe we can do a cruise together sometime in the future:D

Hi @rosy18

I’m so grateful not to have found anything)no unexpected if dads while clearing out, there are little things, like the first letter he wrote to Mum when they started dating(no I have not read it), his epiletts & a watch, but nothing in a drawer or hidden at the back of a shelf.

I love anything to do with the sea, so you could have a cruise companion one day :) It can be on my bucket list :D

Pooch has me pinned down again, after a night of snuggling so close he was pushing me out the bed :eek:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @Margi29

Mum lost a lot of weight & her clothes were hanging off her, but rich cooking & lots of cake turned it around. I was thinking I might have to discreetly buy a larger size too. Fortunately with her broken wrist she couldn’t do the zip & button on her trousers, so she didn’t realise they wouId no longer fit her.

Mum was fanatical over her weight & wouId diet if she thought she was gaining too much. I didn’t fancy a dieting mum :eek:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Sam, I am so glad you will be able to visit Rosy and Margi :) I suspect you will b getting a few real-life hugs!

I wish you were right about people not getting seasick on modern cruise ships :( As I said, I now wear medicated patches when I am cruising and those keep me on my feet - although I always feel happier when conditions settle.

Mum's weight loss really happened when she was in the CH - because of the cancer I think, not because she wasn't being fed. At least I only had new nighty/nightshirts to buy! I did find a wonderful design that fastened up the side and shoulders, so Mum could be rolled onto it, but even the smaller size was huge on her :(.

No, I haven't even decided what to take with me, never mind packed!

(((hugs))) for all and extra ((hugs)) for Pooch.