A dreadful couple of days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Witnessing mum like this is almost as bad as the last three years of dementia. She may have escaped end stage dementia, but now she has to slowly drown in her own juices. I think they can't be ready for her yet. Maybe dad is saying the bunting isn't quite right! Oh dear God, I hope there is some peace in the next life, after what we have to witness and endure on this earth.

Thank you, all you wonderful people, for your words of comfort and support, I can definitely feel your spirit with me, and walking the corridors with me too. This is no peaceful passing by any means, but they assure me she's comfy.

elvismad

Jan 8, 2012
I'm so sorry you and your mum must endure this. sending hugs and thinking of you.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
With you Marnie, I wish I could be physically there to give you a comforting hug, it's so hard to watch this isn't it..

Be comforted though that the medics' say Mum is comfy, I think some of the distressing things to watch are like reflex actions and not causing pain or discomfort - just not nice for us to watch as we feel so helpless.
Maybe that bunting will be ready soon and your Mum can be at peace.
I'm not religious at all but I do believe that peace is what our loved ones find when they die.

More love and ((((hugs)))) to you, brave, courageous, loving daughter xxxxx

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
That bunting will have to be perfect for someone as precious as your Mum. When it is your Dad will take your Mum holding her hand tight.
My thoughts and prayers are with you both. ((Hugs))xxxx

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I think I would describe what I'm witnessing here right now as 'humanity' on a really raw and basic level. The rawness of life and death, and everything in between, on display in various shapes and forms. Strangers giving words of support, hugs, reassurance. Such wonderful, caring staff, some perhaps more suited to human interaction than others! A smile here, a sympathetic nod there. The lady in the next room , younger even than me, disabled and very poorly, but still giving me words of support. Me, tired and exhausted, thinking of what the days ahead will involve. Mum slowly slipping away on the bed. In a way, life is quite wonderful on such a level. Whoever we are, sick, well, educated or not, doctor or porter, we all have that humanity which connects us all in that special way. I've said it before, but the kindness of strangers is uplifting. Amazing!

But back to the point, mum's breathing is getting shallower. They are about to fit a syringe driver to supply a more constant flow of meds. It can't be long now, surely.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
I'm glad for you you're getting that real-life support too, people can be so wonderful. As Izzy says, a lovely post.
Hope the syringe driver works it's magic very soon and you can sit with your Mum and hold her hand while she's peaceful.xxxxxx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh Marnie, Ive only just found this thread and I am so very, very sorry
You are into the last long vigil, but the syringe driver will help to make her comfortable.. You will know when you are getting to the very end because her breathing will change, with lots of gaps.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
So sorry to read of your dreadful time. As you say you cared for her at home for a long time and did your mum proud. Thinking of you during these final difficult days.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The kindness of strangers is the only good thing that I have got out of my husbands dementia. Staff in the NHS, staff and newly made friends in Alzheimers Scotland, neighbours I had never spoken to before who go out of their way to be kind, total strangers who phoned me or brought him home in his wandering phase, the police who were unfailingly kind and patient, travellers on the bus who swiftly stand so we can sit down.

I hope people will go on being kind Marnie because you will need that and so do we all.

hilaryd

May 28, 2017
Just adding to the thoughts and good wishes Marnie - sending peace and comfort to you and your mum xxx

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Marnie, all I can do is offer more (((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) to you.

I am glad the staff are competent and caring and helpful, and hope the syringe driver can be fitted soon and that the regular delivery of meds gives your mum some relief.

I am so sorry.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))) Marnie
Im glad it was peaceful.
You have done everything that you could possibly have done for her.
Be gentle with yourself now.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I'm so sorry, Marnie, but glad the end was peaceful xx
You will be stunned, I'm sure, it has all seemed to happen so suddenly ( though maybe it doesn't feel that way to you).
Sending love, hugs and condolences
Lindy xx

Distressed55

May 13, 2018
It's all over now. Mum passed at 1700. No more dementia.

The final stage was peaceful.
I'm so sorry, Marnie. I'm glad that the end was peaceful for your darling mum. You couldn't have done any more for her than you did. You were wonderful, the way that you looked after her. She is free now.

Status
Not open for further replies.