A dreadful couple of days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Aaaagrh! I'm onto 111 again, asking if a doctor could come and examine her. I can't listen to this raspy breathing, it's not right.

I'm now half considering having her hospitalised, but I'm 90% sure she won't survive the environment, or the 'treatment'.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
Ohh AliceA, wouldn't a crystal ball be wonderful!
Marnie, these ((((hugs)))) are for you and Mum xxxx

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Marnie I am so sorry and I totally understand why you do not want your mum to go into hospital isn't it also better to try and make her comfortable by getting the right treatment as you sound extremely concerned. If the dr or paramedics are called they may take that decision for you if they feel her best interests are that she should be assessed and treated in hospital if whatever she needs cannot be given at home.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Double AARRGGHH! Now the person on 111 has told me that if I keep refusing hospital admission and a doctor doesn't see her … and something happens .. then the Coroner will be involved!

So do I send her back to the place that looked after so well that she got a huge pressure sore?!!

Hopefully the doc will come and maybe prescribe something to ease the breathing (and she can stay at home).

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@Marnie63 I’m so sorry things are bad. I just echo what love.dad.but has said.

Thinking of you and wishing you strength v

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
If she can't be helped here, but can be helped in hospital, maybe I should brave a 5th admission? Can't believe I'm even considering it.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Marnie maybe the hospital admission will then put extra things in at home to enable you to keep your Mum.
If you talk things through with the consultant about your wishes, I’m sure they will get things sorted.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
If she is admitted to hospital would they allow you to stay with her? I stayed overnight in hospital with my husband. They gave him a side room. I first got a recliner chair then a folding bed. It made me much happier to see what was going on.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
Marnie I hate to suggest you cave in but perhaps if Mum was taken to A&E she could be given relief quickly, but you could stress you are happy to have her back home as soon as possible, without waiting for an SW assessment (as long as you are, of course).
It might be that Mum only needs a night or two in hospital to stabilise her if they know they are able to discharge her quickly?...The problem I suppose is getting her through resus and the never-ending blood tests etc. Such a tough decision, wishing you all the strength it's possible to summon. Xxx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry to read of your ongoing crisis Marnie. After a bad experience you are bound to be reluctant to take your mum back to hospital. Not sure what to advise or add to advice already given, so just hope your mum gets something to help her and you can get some rest. Very best of luck and support to you both.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
OK, so waiting for 111 doctor to call back. I am going to press for a doctor to come and see her (any doctor, I don't care!) and ask if there are any meds they can give to loosen the mucus, or if they can somehow remove it manually (I'm sure I saw suction machines in hospital for that purpose?). I'm still convinced it's just a blob of mucus stuck in her throat that she can't cough up because she's too weak to do a big cough. But, it's really affecting her breathing. Let's hope I get a helpful doctor.

Thanks everyone, as ever.

(Will also ask what they can do at hospital that can't be done here.)

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Oh Marnie
What a difficult situation!! I only hope that they send a doctor to see your mum quickly x If that doc says she can be treated in hospital, maybe she should go? They don’t usually keep anyone longer than is necessary. Having said that, I totally understand why you are resisting her going.
With love and wishing you strength.
Lindy xx

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
111 doctor on the way. Talk about confusing conversation - I thought he was responding to my recent call to 111, but it was the guy who I spoke to last night, calling me to see how mum was doing! Anyway, he's coming. Mum sounds like a tractor now.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
111 doctor on the way. Talk about confusing conversation - I thought he was responding to my recent call to 111, but it was the guy who I spoke to last night, calling me to see how mum was doing! Anyway, he's coming. Mum sounds like a tractor now.

Oh good luck sweetheart xxx

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Am glad someone is coming out..this isn't possible for everyone to do I understand but when dad was admitted to hospital on two different emergencies one of 7 days one of 10 days I stayed with him the whole time to ensure he was looked after properly

Distressed55

May 13, 2018
Hi @Marnie63 - apologies if this is completely idiotic....

But would steaming help at all? I know that it would be difficult, but it may loosen the phlegm and make it a bit easier for your poor mum to cough it up? Can you sit her in the bathroom with the shower on full blast as hot as you can get it? Not with either of you under the shower, of course.

Just a thought, maybe a halfwitted one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew 132