A dreadful couple of days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Thanks Lindy. Well it seems things aren't too bad, for now anyway. The carer has been and gone and mum did a few deeper coughs while she was here and seems to have cleared her chest a bit, at least she doesn't now sound as if she has a small pair of bellows caught in her throat! And her swallow improved as she continued to drink the chamomile tea. I got two small mugs down her and two Rich Tea biscuits as a bonus! No more vomiting and diarrhoea since this morning so hope that is easing now. We've left her head raised a little so she's not horizontal and I'm going to check in on her a few times in the night, or may just nap on the sofa downstairs so that I can hear her better if there are any noises in the night. She's so tired now that I think she would sleep through being left in he middle of Piccadilly Circus! I really hope things improve even further tomorrow, there's nothing quite like the challenge of extra issues at the weekend.

I'm exhausted!
Ah, glad to hear that things seem a bit better now, Marnie :)
Hopefully a restorative sleep will do your mum good. Hope you get some rest too xx

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Hope that both you and your mum have a peaceful and uneventful night. When mum had a chesty cough last year but we couldn't get her to understand "cough it up" her gp prescribed an inhaler that we were able to attach to a spacer so that she just had to breath normally while we sprayed the inhaler into it (sorry not explaining very well) and we found that helped to clear her chest.

Take care

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Just called 111. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to, but she can't settle and looks in a bit of discomfort. Apparently a clinician will call back within 30 minutes, but if that can't happen an ambulance will arrive driving at normal speed. We'll see. I just want someone to get the phlegm off her chest, but I have no idea if that's possible at home. I hope so. Definitely no more hospitals.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Just called 111. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to, but she can't settle and looks in a bit of discomfort. Apparently a clinician will call back within 30 minutes, but if that can't happen an ambulance will arrive driving at normal speed. We'll see. I just want someone to get the phlegm off her chest, but I have no idea if that's possible at home. I hope so. Definitely no more hospitals.

Fingers crossed they can clear the phlegm @Marnie63
Thinking of you and your mum and hoping they don't suggest hospital X
Love
Lindy xx

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Thanks Lindy. Someone just called me back, don't know who they were, maybe the 'clinician'. Now I am waiting for a doctor to call within the hour. My worry is that she will probably be bed bound for a few more days, getting over the S&D, and that's not going to help this clear from her chest. We need intervention! It's just phlegm, but I worry that it may turn into something worse if not cleared, and she's too weak to clear it by coughing right now.

I have two pieces of paper now to wave at anyone wanting to take mum to hospital - the DNAR and a care plan signed by her GP. She won't be going in again. If I think I'm tired now, I just have to think back to 4 weeks of visiting and living there, day in, day out. Almost as horrid as the dementia itself.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Thanks Lindy. Someone just called me back, don't know who they were, maybe the 'clinician'. Now I am waiting for a doctor to call within the hour. My worry is that she will probably be bed bound for a few more days, getting over the S&D, and that's not going to help this clear from her chest. We need intervention! It's just phlegm, but I worry that it may turn into something worse if not cleared, and she's too weak to clear it by coughing right now.

I have two pieces of paper now to wave at anyone wanting to take mum to hospital - the DNAR and a care plan signed by her GP. She won't be going in again. If I think I'm tired now, I just have to think back to 4 weeks of visiting and living there, day in, day out. Almost as horrid as the dementia itself.
I'm glad you're well prepared Marnie :) Wishing you all the best xx

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I dealt with a doctor via 111 on the phone last night/early hours of today, but mum's breathing was more settled then so he said wait until morning. This morning she was struggling to breathe so I called for an ambulance (and the 111 doctor also called back while I was waiting for this!). They wanted to take her in of course, but I refused. She's still got mucus/phlegm stuck in her throat and it just won't come out. I was hoping the ambulance crew might have used some kind of suction on her, but they told me they only do this when airways are blocked (I guess it must be quite unpleasant?). They helped me change her wet pad and then we got her into an armchair. I've got some tea and a little porridge down her and it's stayed down. No more diarrhoea. She's still too weak to do a strong cough so I can only keep feeding and watering her little by little throughout the day and hope she builds up enough strength to clear her throat. I'm sure it's just a small bit of mucus, but it's causing such a big problem! They told me that the only option is for her to cough it up, or swallow it with food or water (or take her to hospital of course - no.).

We'll see what happens today. She's so weak and tired now she could barely hold the mug or spoon herself. I'm going to let her sleep in the recliner for a few hours. I dread tonight as it will be the same, unless she clears it by then. Might have to let her sleep in recliner with lots of incontinence sheets all over it, at least she will be sat up. She was very uncomfortable with it in bed.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Nope, only apple and rhubarb juice in the house! I'm now considering taking her dentures out and putting my finger down her throat, maybe she will vomit the mucus? Bit drastic though. It's not shifting. It's a long time to wait to call our surgery on Monday! Surely there are devices to clear phlegm in very frail people?

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
I’m not a medic @Marnie63, but I have suffered from some good bouts of S &D. I’ve always taken very small bites of dry toast and banana, a mouthful hourly or 2 hourly if I felt really ill. This might not be right for your Mom, but I really feel for what you and your Mom are going through. It is such a worry for you.
Thinking of you xx

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
Oh Marnie this is tough for you and your Mum.
I'm clearly not medically qualified but when my Mum was at end of life the DNs gave her medication to dry up any secretions like this (I'm really NOT suggesting your Mum is anywhere near that stage), surely there is something like that that could help her? Would it be worth asking a Dr at 111?
I hate the thought of you both struggling through another stressful night.
Am hoping someone with nursing experience will see your thread.
Why do things like this always happen at the weekend?!

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Thanks Sad Staffs. The vomiting and diarrhoea are gone it seems (at least no more since yesterday morning, so I sincerely hope so), but this breathing with the blocked mucus is so worrying. She seems to have cleared a bit, or maybe it's just moved. She is breathing faster than normal still. Why do these things always happen at the weekend?! I have found an inhaler and one of those plastic spacers, so I've given her a dose of that, it can't hurt to help with the breathing. I'm obviously worried that this may develop into a chest infection or even worse. Paramedics said temperature was OK and that raised temp was usually a sign of chest infection. They weren't sure if the crackling in her chest was in her airways or just down in her throat. I've given her plenty to drink and some to eat, so if I'm sure the food would have taken the mucus with it if it was in that tube. Or maybe not if it's stubborn. If it's in her windpipe and moves into her lungs, then that's obviously not good.

But, I said no hospital, so here I am dealing with it at home! I suppose I naively thought someone would pitch up with some pump device and pump the mucus away.

I've given her a couple of paracetamol and am about to put her to bed, in a raised position. I'll get one of the surgery docs out to visit her on Monday. Maybe I should have let her go into hospital, for faster attention, but I just can't go through that again, or put her through it.

She'll either pull through, or the combination of the D&V, extreme weakness and now breathing issues will take her out. I'm done with trying to play God, I'm so tired myself. What will be will be, I'll have to accept it.

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Marnie I do hope your Mum has managed to clear her throat, what a terrible time you are both having. Sending you warm ((hugs))for you both and praying your Mum is now much more comfortable. I think staying in her recliner chair is better for her than lying in bed, I know however much I sit Mum up in bed she always slides down.
Thinking of you xx

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Marnie on the bowel situation my Mum has no idea now on needing to empty her bowels, doesn't know to push, so our GP suggested I insert a glycerine suppossitory twice a week along with lactulose twice daily. I insert the suppossitory wait 30 mins sit Mum on commode and 9 times out of 10 she has a bowel movement. On the odd occasion I just have to help a little:eek:.

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
I’m stating the obvious, and I know such words can be useless to you, but please try to look after yourself. I know you are doing everything you can for your Mom, but if you don’t take care of yourself then who is going to do all that you do? Your Mom will be worse off.
It’s so very hard for you... it doesn’t get much tougher.
Sending warm wishes to you.
B xx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
WARNING. older people DO NOT always have typical symptoms when they have an infection.
So no raised temperature even when seriously ill.
My husband does not and the geriatrician warned me that is why older people do not always survive epidemics.
When I spoke to nursing staff few seem to have been taught this.
In our case he has dysphagia so can ingest food causing pneumonia. Behavioural changes are a sign, but this can be subtle.
So please do not be persuaded the temperature is the sign, for many it is but not all. I have to tell medics he has atypical symptoms.
Crackles do not always mean infection either.
Anyone know a supplier of crystal balls?

Status
Not open for further replies.