So bizarre !

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

Off on the 17th for 9 days, Slugsta - so looking forward to it :) Slightly longer to wait than you, but to be honest, so busy that I have done hardly anything by way of prep - bought a couple of tops, 2 pairs of shorts - need toiletries, new undies, a haircut (which I'm going for today), euro's sorting, shopping for dogs and youngest whilst we are away to be done and a new case to buy. Between oldest kids coming to stay a lot lately (which I am not complaining about at all), work and some DIY house projects (new front door, and the patio doors currently being replaced with french doors - the house looks like a builders yard at the min), its absolutely manic at the moment. Yep - spoken to boss about the hours. She is sympathetic and has suggested several ways to ease the load, but it really does boil down to not enough hours to get everything done. I'm not the only one, and many of us have got together to take steps to get this issue recognised formally by the senior management now. Just waiting for a response. I've managed to pack in 28 hours in the 3 working days this week - add the bank holiday hours, and its another 35 hour week. And because I only had 3 working days, I really only have done what was absolutely essential to do this week. Its hard - I am really loving my job at the moment, a lot of stuff going on which is fab to be involved in, exciting and interesting and satisfying, and for the first time in 12 months, I am confident that I have all the info I need to keep the admin up to date - but, its unrealistic for anyone to think it can be done in just the hours that I am paid for.

Glad that both you and Red have your hot water back - hope the plumber has now sorted out the leaking towel rail too!

I love the anteater , Red - and now there are two of them at the zoo again. One of the original pair sadly died a while back, so the remaining one has been leading a solitary life - but when we went last week, there were two of them ambling round the paddock together - so you never know, maybe some baby anteaters soon? No pangolins there unfortunately - they are crazy looking animals, would love to see one in real life!

Sounds like you are having as busy a time as me at the moment 2jays! Hope you get some rest time soon! I love it when my kids come to stay - but there is no doubt that it means a lot of extra work!

Spamar - I hope you are feeling much better, hun xxxxxxx

I'm getting a new granddog ! I knew it wouldn't be long before that happened. Son and his GF still missing Patch badly - but wee Jess, their westie, is missing the company even more, and especially after spending a week here and having my 3 doggy's for company, she really was fretting. Sooooooo - not having found a suitable companion for her at the local rescue centres, they contacted a charity that brings rescued dogs and cats to the UK from various European countries for re-homing. It's based not too far from where they live. And they have found Pablo (though they say that name is going to change!). He is an 18 month old collie/terrier cross, originally from Spain, who is currently being fostered in a house with an older female dog - who Pablo adores! Hopefully, he will adore Jess just as much. They have the home check this weekend - having passed home checks for both Patch and Jess, there are no worries there - and they should have Pablo (or Oscar, as I think thats the name they have decided on) by the end of next week. I am so glad they have gone for a younger doggy this time - horrible to see the heartbreak when they lost Patch, who was 11 when they adopted him - this wee lad has no health or behavioural issues, and as a bonus, he's a cutie too. Hopefully they will have him for many years :)

OH went to see Mil yesterday - she was very chatty, but kept going on about his hair not being right! He thinks - after much confused conversation, because she really struggled to tell him what she meant - that she was commenting on his hair being pretty grey now! She was extremely perturbed by it, apparently, telling him his hair was 'wrong' and asking why and what had he done to it?

Work and life being so busy, I haven't had much time to play with the new lens, other than a couple of 10 minute sessions photographing the garden birds. Its taking some getting used to, particularly handling the weight of it, I need a lot more practice- but - I absolutely love it already, and though I have a way to go to get to grips with it properly, I'm already pretty happy with the shots I have so far. Off today, so I need to get cracking now and start on tidying up the building site, but will leave you with just a few of the pics I have so far.

Sending love to all, take care xxxxx

0G8A9867.jpg

0G8A9912.jpg

0G8A9927.jpg

0G8A9902.jpg

0G8A9921.jpg

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Mum used to comment that I hadn’t combed out my hair. I naturally have tight ringlets but I think she thought I was my grandmother who used to have a perm.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Fantastic photos Ann! They really are good enough to sell, maybe you could defray some of the cost of the new lens?

I'm glad that your manager is sympathetic, but something has to change, you cannot all continue giving so much of your time without pay :mad:

How lovely that you are getting a new granddog, I hope he settles into the pack really well.

I'm sorry that MIL was struggling to make herself understood, it must be terribly frustrating for everyone concerned :(

We have our towel rail sorted out, so it is no longer leaking. Still waiting for the plumbers to come back, finish the final last tweak and remove their stuff! I really want to get the things back into the cupboard underneath the boiler - but much of it is my 'best' china and I don't want to put it back until I know the plumbers won't be going anywhere near it!

We went to the airshow yesterday and spent a couple of very nice hours down on the beach with friends. It was absolutely packed! It was quite cloudy but still dry and temps in the mid 20s C. Today has been a very quiet one for me.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Glad the towel rail is sorted, Slugsta - and I hope the plumbers turn up soon so you can 'get straight' again. In a similar position here - OH has fitted and finished front door, and french doors are in and secure - but they are still awaiting sills and final finishing touches, and until they are done, there are tools around and bits and bobs, and my dining room looks a little like a builders yard! OH is fitting doing this around work, to be fair, he has worked his socks off, so not complaining - but I will be glad when its done!

Thanks all for the comments on the photographs - I am so happy with the lens, getting the sort of shots that were impossible before with a smaller zoom, I just love the detail I'm getting now :) Can't wait for Sunday next, when I am at the zoo with my 'photobuddies' - and then 8 days later, off on holiday, and trips to Fuertaventura zoo, Betancuria National Park and various other jaunts planned which I hope will give me plenty of chances to really see what that lens will let me do !

Visited Mil yesterday - she was in rather a belligerent mood to start with. I breezed in and said a cheery hello, and got a rather disgruntled 'What are YOU doing here'?. Asked if I could sit with her for a minute - and got told no, I couldn't because "I know your 'minutes' - you say a minute and you'll still be sat there an hour later". That was me told, I guess - it was several minutes before I risked pulling up a chair and sitting. She stared at me as I sat, and I thought I was going to get some more abuse, but instead, after a couple of minutes, she suddenly said "And when did you get your hair cut?". I'd had it done on Friday, a lot shorter than usual (hoping to save myself another trim before we go away) - she didn't know my name, or how she knows me generally - but she recognised me well enough to know I'd had my hair cut. I find that so odd. There were a couple more verbal digs, before she suddenly leaned forward and hit me as hard as she could on my arm - and again, I want to know how someone so frail can packs so much force behind a slap or smack! Up till then, I'd been very polite and not said anything about her being rude, but being as that wasn't working and I definitely didn't want any more of her hitting me, I very sternly told her to 'pack it in', and that I would let her parents know if she hit me again ( lately the staff have found that telling her that they will 'tell her parents' often stops the physical attacks - if only for a short time!). I got told to 'tell 'em what you like' (with a few choice swear words added) and so I warned her again, even more firmly, and finished off by using a phrase she used to use with the kids when they were being cheeky - I told her to 'wind her neck in' - instantly she moved her hand near her neck, and started making a 'winding' motion, asking me 'have I wound it enough?'. She was so pleased with her wit, this sent her off laughing - and that put her in a much better mood, much to my relief. One of the staff brought her a plate with 3 or 4 biscuits on it, which also helped.

She has a 'thing' at the moment about looking at photographs on our phones, so I spent a while going through them with her - she recognised her grandson (she nearly always knows his name, if not how how she knows him) but identified my OH as her late husband. She left me creased by suddely saying she 'remembered' a recent picture of herself and my son being taken, because 'Just after you took it, he wee'd all over me' - heaven only knows where that idea came from. In a lot of the photographs, she identified images of herself as being either my Mother, or 'that lady who lives up the road'. I have a copy of a photograph of Mil, taken when she was 21 on my phone, a studio shot - as soon as she saw that she said 'That's ME!", but told me her Mum had had the picture done when Mil was 11. All the while we were chatting (and despite her jaw and mouth constantly doing the TD tics, she was really clear!) she was putting away the biscuits, till she realised that she only had 1 and a bit left - at which point she accused me of stealing them - and back to belligerence. She told me she was 'looking for a fight' - I left soon afterwards as it was pretty clear that it was me she would like to fight with!

Looking at the notes from the staff, so many instances of her hitting out, throwing drinks, being verbally and physically abusive, combined with days when the jerks and spasms caused by the TD at the very least mean she is being repositioned every few minutes to stop her falling, and othr days where she can't even sit safely on a seat, because of the spasms. Her breathing is worse, and though food is being cut up/is soft, the staff say that the choking risk is still very high. But I'll bet you anything that the HBM will still try to argue for the removal of 1-1 at the meeting on Wednesday :(

After leaving Mil, I finished off the shopping for the holiday stuff that was needed. OH needs a couple of new t shirts, and I need to get the euro's - and then that's us sorted. After a lovely warm and quite sunny day yesterday, its pouring down this morning - Fuertaventura is definitely looking even more attractive at the moment!

I hope all of you are OK, take care and love to you all xxxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Ann, I'm glad you found MIL alert and communicative - even if somewhat belligerent! I don't think I have ever seen someone change in a heartbeat the way she does. Isn't it strange what can be remembered, when so much else is forgotten? Whoever she thinks you are, she clearly has a mental picture of you with longer hair.

When is the review meeting with HBM? I wish I disagreed with your estimation of how she will respond - but, sadly, I think you are probably spot on :( This is one of the -few- times when I would be delighted to be proved wrong!

I bet you are itching to give your new camera equipment a proper test and I look forward to seeing some of the results.

I need to make sure I have everything I need for our holiday. I know I am OK for clothes, bought some more knickers from Matalan on Friday, but do need to have a look at make-up and toiletries.The shop on board will have a few things but there is no choice of brand and the cost is several times higher even than places like Boots, let alone the discount stores!

I'm very thankful that the plumbers got us hot water so quickly, but really would like them to finish and take their stuff away. However, they won't get paid until then, so I know this won't drag on for too long, as it might if OH were doing things. I hope you get your work finished before you go away Ann.

Sending (((hugs))) for all.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
A brief post. Stood in queue for clarks for son's school shoes. I know it is madness doing it all at the end of the holidays but he keeps growing. An inch in height since 18th August. The new shirts I bought him from m & s in July no longer fit. All in packaging so hope I can take them back. Need new blazer footie boots pe kit etc

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Yay - M & S let me exchange all my shirts for a bigger size, even though receipt out of date, and I also got some jumpers for when it gets cooler, white PE T shirts and black PE shorts. So still need white PE shorts, and school shoes.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Trying hard to catch up, still have a rota of the adorables without parents staying. Tried to manage at least 3 days off between the next gangs invasion but life sucks for some kids and they need granny time unexpectedly

Hooray to:-
Boiler fixed
Plumbing nearly fixed?
School uniform purchasing
Husband t shirt purchase
Tempted to write next lot in white for @AliceA :) benefit but brain frazzled so wouldn’t be able to cheque spel chuck :)
Calmer?? Visits to MacMIL ??? The HBM - in my opinion - hugely bit monster - exchange bit for something that starts with B but is an uncontrollable urge to scratch... ***

***Sorry mods I’m tired, frazzled.... at least I didn’t use Bi^^**}!!!

Well I have done but not in context...

Sun room still awaiting its new roof. New roofer is on 2 week holiday, his partner in roof was away for a week before him, but been assured it’s going to be done within 2 weeks

Not a peep from “professional” builder who isn’t proffessional

Paper work, paper work towards court case, piled up ready

1jay has very fragile health. He is only 21+ a few, and finds it so humiliating being so unable. Walking on egg shell time for me sometimes/mostly

Can we make a decision between laminate or vinyl for the sun room????
Can we heck.

Laminate causes echos
As I understand it, his hearing aids are continually faulty, especially when the gang are here :rolleyes:,

Vinyl, apparently gives slightly less echo....

strangely I’m totally against carpeting the place....

As to the dining room..... one gang member has named it the toy room

Why toy room? I ask them

Because It’s got grannies toys in it....

Hmmmm its got a drill, couple of screwdrivers, pollyfilla, a bag of cement.... not forgetting the electric sander.... grannies toys :D

Last edited:

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Trying hard to catch up, still have a rota of the adorables without parents staying. Tried to manage at least 3 days off between the next gangs invasion but life sucks for some kids and they need granny time unexpectedly

Hooray to:-
Boiler fixed
Plumbing nearly fixed?
School uniform purchasing
Husband t shirt purchase
Tempted to write next lot in white for @AliceA :) benefit but brain frazzled so wouldn’t be able to cheque spel chuck :)
Calmer?? Visits to MacMIL ??? The HBM - in my opinion - hugely bit monster - exchange bit for something that starts with B but is an uncontrollable urge to scratch... ***

***Sorry mods I’m tired, frazzled.... at least I didn’t use Bi^^**}!!!

Well I have done but not in context...

Sun room still awaiting its new roof. New roofer is on 2 week holiday, his partner in roof was away for a week before him, but been assured it’s going to be done within 2 weeks

Not a peep from “professional” builder who isn’t proffessional

Paper work, paper work towards court case, piled up ready

1jay has very fragile health. He is only 21+ a few, and finds it so humiliating being so unable. Walking on egg shell time for me sometimes/mostly

Can we make a decision between laminate or vinyl for the sun room????
Can we heck.

Laminate causes echos
As I understand it, his hearing aids are continually faulty, especially when the gang are here :rolleyes:,

Vinyl, apparently gives slightly less echo....

strangely I’m totally against carpeting the place....

As to the dining room..... one gang member has named it the toy room

Why toy room? I ask them

Because It’s got grannies toys in it....

Hmmmm its got a drill, couple of screwdrivers, pollyfilla, a bag of cement.... not forgetting the electric sander.... grannies toys :D
:):):) Our sun room at a similar stage, must be an epidemic of them!

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
2Jays - you are amazing. I would be 2Gins if I were in your position. Or maybe 20Gins.
I believe you can get special acoustic underlay for laminate. It will be more expensive than the usual stuff, but in my experience, having laid a variety of different floorings, underlay is worth shelling out on.
Have seagrass in most of the cottage, which comes without underlay. It is a fab flooring - completely stain resistant - and looks 'right' for the cottage but I miss a squishy underlay! I then bought an original Beni Ourain rug which added all the squish wanted -- except it shed like a wooly sheep and I have finally removed it to my study. Why are interior decor decisions not easier? Why don't the magazines tell you these things?

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Red, it sounds as if there might be advantages to my total lack of design sense! :)

Quiet day for me, other than choir this evening. I hope everyone else has a good one (((hugs))) for all.