Can't be there all the time

Whatmalike

Aug 20, 2018
Hi there my mum is 90 and has recently been registered blind (although has sufficient sight to cope for now).
She has carers 3 times a day to give her meds and check she is eating or offer food as it were. On recent visit she was telling of men at the door asking questions, but then goes on to talk about other stuff I know to be made up so that's a worry. Mum also gets things in a loop and keeps repeating them I got her knitting just small squares but when I rang on my return home she had completely forgotten. I always ask her if she is lonely as my dad died last year and she says "I'm alright " we have a family member that lives closer and tries to do the doc appointments and shopping . Probably have read this loads of times before people but I feel better for writing it down any suggestions gratefully received.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello, @Whatmalike, welcome to Talking Point. Does your mum have a diagnosis of dementia? Th eonly thing I’m thinking is that the ‘men at the door’ might be real. There are so many scammers around. It is possible to get a system whereby you can monitor on your mobile who is at the door. I know one of our members used it for her mum.
If you have any specific questions do ask, as the members are really friendly and a great source of information and support.

Whatmalike

Aug 20, 2018
Hello, @Whatmalike, welcome to Talking Point. Does your mum have a diagnosis of dementia? Th eonly thing I’m thinking is that the ‘men at the door’ might be real. There are so many scammers around. It is possible to get a system whereby you can monitor on your mobile who is at the door. I know one of our members used it for her mum.
If you have any specific questions do ask, as the members are really friendly and a great source of information and support.
thank you for the help will look into all

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hi there my mum is 90 and has recently been registered blind (although has sufficient sight to cope for now).
She has carers 3 times a day to give her meds and check she is eating or offer food as it were. On recent visit she was telling of men at the door asking questions, but then goes on to talk about other stuff I know to be made up so that's a worry. Mum also gets things in a loop and keeps repeating them I got her knitting just small squares but when I rang on my return home she had completely forgotten. I always ask her if she is lonely as my dad died last year and she says "I'm alright " we have a family member that lives closer and tries to do the doc appointments and shopping . Probably have read this loads of times before people but I feel better for writing it down any suggestions gratefully received.

Is she able to have to have the door locked and ask her not to answer the door,she could have a key safe out of view for the carers and the family member if that helps,is it a nice road with good people living next door and over the road if so I would ask a few people if they could keep an eye out for anything of concern

Whatmalike

Aug 20, 2018
Is she able to have to have the door locked and ask her not to answer the door,she could have a key safe out of view for the carers and the family member if that helps,is it a nice road with good people living next door and over the road if so I would ask a few people if they could keep an eye out for anything of concern
Hi thanks for reply mum has key pad also alarm things she wears on wrist and necklace version I have just chatted to her on phone and she was back to her normal self so that was reassuring not going to last I know but good. The neighbours are very good and do keep an eye on the comings and goings from the house now you come to mention it she does keep her doors locked these days,thanks again for the help

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Whatmalike , Like you my mother is 90 and registered as partially sighted. She can see well enough to get about, but not well enough to read. It sounds like at the moment you have things well in place, unlike your mother, mine is refusing all offers of help, thinking things such as alarms are for elderly people and as nether my brother or I live very close by this is becoming an increasing concern
I think if you are concerned that your mother is entering a new phase and may be needing more help in the future, perhaps visit to the GP ito see if a visit to a memory clinic might be of use.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa

Hi have you got" no cold caller" stickers on the glass on front door,I purchased some from Ebay and previously printed some from moneysavingexpert site,they do work as I live at home with my mum and the door knockers pass our home,the lads that are ex offenders with the big black bags selling dusters etc,passed us yesterday but didn't knock at ours

Whatmalike

Aug 20, 2018
Hi @Whatmalike , Like you my mother is 90 and registered as partially sighted. She can see well enough to get about, but not well enough to read. It sounds like at the moment you have things well in place, unlike your mother, mine is refusing all offers of help, thinking things such as alarms are for elderly people and as nether my brother or I live very close by this is becoming an increasing concern
I think if you are concerned that your mother is entering a new phase and may be needing more help in the future, perhaps visit to the GP ito see if a visit to a memory clinic might be of use.
Thanks for the reply mum has done the memory clinic and said it was silly the bit where they give a name and address then asked her to tell them it at the end she told the woman if you wanted to know it you should have written it down ha ha oh well no doubt they get a lot of that they also suggested a brain scan which to my knowledge she refused. I am happy that other people are here to just be with if that makes sense.

Whatmalike

Aug 20, 2018
Thanks for the reply will chat with family members and see where we go from here.

Whatmalike

Aug 20, 2018
Hi have you got" no cold caller" stickers on the glass on front door,I purchased some from Ebay and previously printed some from moneysavingexpert site,they do work as I live at home with my mum and the door knockers pass our home,the lads that are ex offenders with the big black bags selling dusters etc,passed us yesterday but didn't knock at ours
Thanks will get them !