Sister with Alzheimer's having seizures

Princess RF

Dec 14, 2017
Just wondering whether anyone has a younger relative with Alzheimer's (my sister's Alzheimer's started in her 50s, 6 years ago) who is now having seizures? Wondering what it signifies. Thank goodness, she is in a very good nursing home and has an excellent doctor, but I just wonder what to expect next. Also, should I warn her kind friends who take her on short trips from the Home to local coffee shops?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Princess RF
is there an opportunity for you to have a good chat with your sister's doctor and the nurse at her nursing home so hopefully they can fill you in a bit more and you can ask what action a companion should take if your sister has a seizure
personally I would tell anyone who visits her, especially if they go out together, so they are aware of what may happen and how they can best deal with any situation - it may even be wise to reconsider whether outings should continue for your sister's safety

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wouldn't be happy about anyone taking your sister on outings @Princess RF until the seizures have been monitored and managed, its too big a responsibility.

Its good your sister has attentive doctors and perhaps they are the ones who are best to ask.

Princess RF

Dec 14, 2017
hi @Princess RF
is there an opportunity for you to have a good chat with your sister's doctor and the nurse at her nursing home so hopefully they can fill you in a bit more and you can ask what action a companion should take if your sister has a seizure
personally I would tell anyone who visits her, especially if they go out together, so they are aware of what may happen and how they can best deal with any situation - it may even be wise to reconsider whether outings should continue for your sister's safety
Thank you. I have informed the regular visitors. And the Care Staff have suggested to today's visitors that my sister is not well enough to go out.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Princess RF
it's sad to have to curtail your sister's outings (maybe it's just for a while), though a good call on your part I think - I feel for you
I did find it hard when I had to admit that it was no longer good for my dad to leave his care home, felt a big step to take, but he was just no longer safe out and about

sorry, cross posted
I just don't know about seizures myself, I'm afraid

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Any sort of damage to the brain can increase the likelyhood of having seizures My OH had a road accident 25 years ago and has had seizures ever since.. Alzheimer damage is something that can definitely cause seizures. Seizures dont cause further damage in the short-term, although I think the jury is out on whether it causes damage eventually - but even the ones who say it does think it takes many years before it might cause problems.
Has your sister been started on anti-epileptics?

Princess RF

Dec 14, 2017
hi @Princess RF
it's sad to have to curtail your sister's outings (maybe it's just for a while), though a good call on your part I think - I feel for you
I did find it hard when I had to admit that it was no longer good for my dad to leave his care home, felt a big step to take, but he was just no longer safe out and about

sorry, cross posted
I just don't know about seizures myself, I'm afraid
Shedrech, your answer is helpful.
The visitors are good about bringing interesting materials to the Home. But she has hitherto loved a little outing. Mind you, after an increasingly short while she just standsup and makesfor any available door,inorder toreturnto herroom!

Princess RF

Dec 14, 2017
Any sort of damage to the brain can increase the likelyhood of having seizures My OH had a road accident 25 years ago and has had seizures ever since.. Alzheimer damage is something that can definitely cause seizures. Seizures dont cause further damage in the short-term, although I think the jury is out on whether it causes damage eventually - but even the ones who say it does think it takes many years before it might cause problems.
Has your sister been started on anti-epileptics?
I gather so,but will investigate further.