Lack of research and any sort of breakthrough

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
Its sad. My mother was asked to take part in a new research project at her memory clinic to test genes. We said yes as it might do some good down the line for someone else.

Its shocking though that there really seems to be a lack of knowledge and expertise on Alzheihmers. Progress has been made with many cancers. I hope for all our sakes Alzheihmers can make some progress soon. Its just the most awful disease.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Trouble is Alzheimer’s/dementia is an umbrella term. Many various causes, all labelled the same.
Cancer usd to be the same, but now is recognised as multiple diseases, with different treatments and outcomes.
Only research can identify differences, and hopefully lead to future breakthroughs.

Angela57

Jan 22, 2016
Although I believe dementia has been around for years and years, it wasn't prominent because people didn't live as long as they do now, so dementia appeared to affect the few. I'm not saying I'm right about this at all. It's just my take on it. However cancer has been rife and indescrimate regarding age for so long, so it has had more research for far longer in my opinion. Now, we have a dementia explosion, so hopefully, it will be investigated more now, and in the future. Just as cancer is being investigated now and for many years.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and I'm not saying I'm correct, it's just how I see it.

It's a wonderful thing that you are doing someting to help future dementia suffers, that you and your mum are doing that, and I hope it hasn't been stressful for either of you.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
There is a research center near me and they have been working on research into various dementia related links for decades. One major study they have done and are continuing is around the links between macular degeneration and cognitive impairment (and then, dementia). They're looking particularly at micronutrients and the possible role of supplementing those micronutrients in the diet to help maintain levels of macular pigmentation in the brain. All very interesting stuff.

Tired Team Leader

Aug 2, 2018
Scotland
Although I believe dementia has been around for years and years, it wasn't prominent because people didn't live as long as they do now, so dementia appeared to affect the few.

I agree with this and would add to it. Thirty years ago elderly people were just "a bit forgetful" or it was said that they had dementia without anyone really understanding what it was. Earlier than that, a lot of people with dementia (as it would now be diagnosed) would be considered eccentric.

Thank goodness there is research going on now and we have specific dementia's being diagnosed and researched.

@totallyconfused In years to come people like your mother will have helped so much with the research into different dementia's and what causes them then also what can be done to cure them. Don't be sad about that. Future generations will owe a lot to your mum and people like her.

Herewego

Mar 9, 2017
Hi @totallyconfused

If you are interested in research into Dementia/Alzheimer's, there is a book that was published at the end of 2017 called In Pursuit of Memory: The fight against Alzheimer's by Joseph Jebelli that I would highly recommend. It is very readable even though it does have some of the science and research reviews as part of the book - some of it used words I had to look up (medical terms), but found it very good read anyway. It starts with when Alzheimer's (and as what we now know as Dementia) was identified and goes on to tell us about what discoveries and the current research that is going on in various countries.

While this is a terrible disease, after reading this book I better understood the complexities the researchers are dealing with. As noted by @Tired Team Leader with research now beginning to get traction with more and more studies taking place, perhaps in years to come better treatments and preventative measures will be known and able to help our children and grandchildren.

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
One of my greatest fears is that I put my children through what I have had to do with my Mum. I pray there will be a breakthrough before that day comes.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I agree with this and would add to it. Thirty years ago elderly people were just "a bit forgetful" or it was said that they had dementia without anyone really understanding what it was. Earlier than that, a lot of people with dementia (as it would now be diagnosed) would be considered eccentric.

Thank goodness there is research going on now and we have specific dementia's being diagnosed and researched.

@totallyconfused In years to come people like your mother will have helped so much with the research into different dementia's and what causes them then also what can be done to cure them. Don't be sad about that. Future generations will owe a lot to your mum and people like her.
after the war, when I was a nurse cadet, dementia was often regarded as delayed shell shock. Kindred.