mum and her medication

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
hello, may i ask you kindly about my elderly mum, 91 has mixed dementia and won’t take the medications prescribed, there are about 4 morning and 4 evening, she does need them, eg blood pressure, senna, donepezil etc.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Try hiding them in yoghurt or mousse. The GP should be able to tell you if you can crush any of them or if they are available in liquid form.

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
My Mum is much better at taking tablets in a morning so I now give them all to her then. It sounds like your Mum won’t take tablets at any time though. Have you discussed it with the GP? Maybe they could prescribe the medication in different forms.

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
thankyou, she took half her morning pills later in the day, i’ve started trying to crush them, she sometimes notices the taste, i will try mousses. she just says she doesnt want them. i’ve heard of gloup, gels you swallow with med inside. she’ll refuse lactulose which is liquid, thankyou again.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Could you have a word with the pharmacist or GP? I think this can, sadly, be a question they are often asked. It might be best to get professional advice.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I talked to the pharmacist at our GP surgery when my husband was having difficulty taking his medications. She told me which capsules I could break and sprinkle onto yoghurt and which I meds could be had in liquid form. He was happy to take a spoonful of liquid. I think it would be worth seeing if there's any chance of talking to a pharmacist at your GP's practice.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
thankyou, she took half her morning pills later in the day, i’ve started trying to crush them, she sometimes notices the taste, i will try mousses. she just says she doesnt want them. i’ve heard of gloup, gels you swallow with med inside. she’ll refuse lactulose which is liquid, thankyou again.
Some pills should not be crushed, so it's best to ask advice on this before doing it.

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
thankyou, the pharmacist said i can crush the tablets, just that she notices the taste in custard etc, or won’t take it, but i’ll keep trying! some times in the day she will take meds more readily. she has to take vitamins for 10 days which i keep missing with her. thankyou again for your kind replies. she does need the blood pressure pill, senna etc.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa