Help - Mums cooker deemed a danger to her - any suggestions

pebble

Apr 18, 2008
The Borders, Scotland
At last (without warning and after a 5 month wait during which Mum was left to cope on her own) the Care Package has started. First thing the Care Attendants have done is deemed my Mum's cooker a danger to her and recommend that it is disconnected. This is because she left it on and forgot about it when they were there. They go for frozen meals done in a microwave and have asked me to get this organised straight away (tricky as I have just come back from the 400 mile round trip) but I do understand that this is the arrangement to go with. Anyway does anyone have any suggestions which would keep the cooker operational in the house but only when someone was there to assist. It seems odd to just disconnect it entirely. I believe you can get a key switch fitted into the cooker supply which, like it sounds, needs the key to turn the main cooker switch on. At least this would mean that when family do visit we can cook a traditional meal on the cooker - don't relish doing the whole Christmas thing on a microwave. Anyone got any experience of this so that I can go back to social work with a less disruptive alternative? Phew it has been a harrowing day - the Care Attendants had been visiting Mum for 3 days before social work even told me and poor Mum's confused phone calls are making a bit more sense now. Pebble.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think you are correct that there are switches available, however I don't have any suggestions for names etc. However, would it be possible to the carers to simply remove the knobs for the interim? Or perhaps flip the breaker or remove the fuse if she wouldn't be able to fix that?

SkiTTish

Sep 13, 2008
We replaced all mums gas applances with electric ones and they have fused switches so the appliance can be turned off.would that be possible ?

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Most people posting on TP are not medically qualified. So ask for information from medics before acting on any "medical" information posted.

Most people posting on TP are not qualified electricians either - so ask for information from qualified electricians before acting on any electricity-connected information posted.

Otherwise the consequences could be disastrous. Either for your relative, or for any person coming into their home, and that could include you.

Go, with the microwave? That which could be equally dangerous if left operational and accessible. So disconnect and remove the microwave too!

If it is that dangerous for your relative, ask Social Services to supply ready-cooked meals-on-wheels, as part of your Care Package, but not the 7-days-into-the-freezer and then microwaved by support worker. That microwave, or that cooker will always be dangerous.

Forget all about Christmas Dinner Cooking of the meal - book a restaurant nearby. Plan an alternative venue for the Christmas Dinner.

If family visit, take sandwiches and fruit desserts, or go out for lunch/dinner to a nearby pub/cafe/diner.

Electrical appliances can be dangerous. Especially in the hands of persons who have lost the ability to understand those dangers.

JPG

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Anyway does anyone have any suggestions which would keep the cooker operational in the house but only when someone was there to assist.

sounds to me that your typing about assistive technology for people with dementia

http://www.atdementia.org.uk/productDetails.asp?s

Description:

The gas shut off valve solution can be used to detect the leakage of gas and immediately turn off the mains supply to a dwelling or individual appliance. There are three solutions to cater for different sizes of gas pipe: 1/2', 3/4' or 1'. It is designed to be used with Lifeline 4000+ (part of an integrated telecare system) and consists of a control unit with key switch and non switched fused spur, gas shut off valve, natural gas detector.

before spending the money on getting it , talk to SW about it as your mother could be entitled to a grant under the Independent living fund so would get assistive technology to keep your mother living Independently in her own home for as long as possible

pebble

Apr 18, 2008
The Borders, Scotland
Thanks everyone, I should have said it is an electric cooker. Mum get the meals on wheels package available in her area which is 3 hot lunches a week. I know you are right - everything has potential to be dangerous.
Regards, Pebble

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Not sure if it will be an option but we have just had an induction hob fitted when we moved house. It only works with particular pan types but switches itself off when pans are removed. Very soon after removing the pan any residual heat dissipates and you can touch the rings with your hands. I have bought my Mum a portable induction hob for her annexe kitchenette which she uses alongside her combined microwave/oven. I hasten to add that Mum is not suffering from dementia however my Aunt had a gas hob and was a smoker so when her health deteriorated we were VERY worried about the cooker. I'm not sure the induction hob would have been an option as it would have meant something new and taking in something new when the dementia had taken hold would have been difficult for her.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Pebble,

Always a tough one, but you can understand why someone with dementia may want to continue living at home. Hard to do without cooking. As someone said there are alot of potential dangers at home, but there has got to be a bit of balance and you can't worry yourself sick about every electrical appliance in the house. Some are definitely more dangerous than others as I'm sure the Care Attendants pointed out.

It sounds like you still want to be able to use the cooker when you visit mum. I'd ask an electrician to fit a key operated isolator switch. Something like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/92158...;jsessionid=0QUMUH5RC2ENACSTHZOSFFI?ts=18644#

Just make sure it is professionally fitted and kept out of reach. The other option is to just remove the fuse when not using the cooker but make sure you really know what your are doing. Nothing like a cosy xmas dinner at home, I know where you are coming from.

Living at home alone with dementia is a challenge. Here is a factsheet that may help with other issues:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/517

The only thing I'd say about a microwave is the danger of putting something metal in the microwave. Your mum needs to be clear about using only the ready meals and packaging you have left.

Good luck
Craig