GOVERNMENT RESPONSE TO PETITION

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I HAVE JUST RECEIVED THIS EMAIL

You’re receiving this email because you signed this petition:

“Pay carers an allowance equivalent to a fulltime job at the National Living wage”.
The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Pay carers an allowance equivalent to a fulltime job at the National Living wage”.

Government responded

"Though society values a carers contribution highly, it has never been the role of the benefit system to pay people for the tasks that they CHOOSE to undertake in the way that an employer would. The purpose of CA is to provide a measure of financial support and recognition for people who give up the opportunity of full-time employment in order to provide regular and substantial care for a severely disabled person, but it is not and never was, designed to be a carer’s wage or intended to replace foregone earnings entirely. "

I have put the word CHOOSE into capital letters, as we all know the default situation in this country is that if you live with someone you are their carer no matter how much you protest.
I discovered this for myself. I lost my career, I don't get Carers Allowance, and I am fed up with the same old drivel that comes from those on high.

mumsgone

Dec 23, 2015
I may be mistaken but i would have thought paying a decent carers allowance would be cheaper than care home fees ! Also the longer women have to work before gaining their state pension the less carers there will be around to do this cheap labour for that is what it is. As regards choosing to be a carer, nobody chooses it it's just a sad fact of life,

AliceA

May 27, 2016

“Pay carers an allowance equivalent to a fulltime job at the National Living wage”.
The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Pay carers an allowance equivalent to a fulltime job at the National Living wage”.

Government responded

"Though society values a carers contribution highly, it has never been the role of the benefit system to pay people for the tasks that they CHOOSE to undertake in the way that an employer would. The purpose of CA is to provide a measure of financial support and recognition for people who give up the opportunity of full-time employment in order to provide regular and substantial care for a severely disabled person, but it is not and never was, designed to be a carer’s wage or intended to replace foregone earnings entirely. "

I have put the word CHOOSE into capital letters, as we all know the default situation in this country is that if you live with someone you are their carer no matter how much you protest.
I discovered this for myself. I lost my career, I don't get Carers Allowance, and I am fed up with the same old drivel that comes from those on high.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
So it is a choice! Rather like breathing in after you have breathed out! What about duty of care! That seems a legal requirement too. I remember one daughter imprisioned for neglect. I wish one had enough resources to take a legal case as far as it could go.
My ability to care is being eroded by lack of transport, a local surgery, and those background aids that support us. The 60 yr olds have to continue in employment where I know some would willing help older Carers care.
As previously said, paying cares surely would be a cheaper option than Care Home fees, but then big business would have to forgo a profit. How many in Governments of any couloir have a vested interest in keeping the status quo. I wrote to my MP but no reply. I emailed, it was acknowledged but no answer.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I may be mistaken but i would have thought paying a decent carers allowance would be cheaper than care home fees ! Also the longer women have to work before gaining their state pension the less carers there will be around to do this cheap labour for that is what it is. As regards choosing to be a carer, nobody chooses it it's just a sad fact of life,
Many of us Carers could do with a bit of care ourselves. We are both quite old, what is choice? Even falling in love was not choice!

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
So it is a choice! Rather like breathing in after you have breathed out! What about duty of care! That seems a legal requirement too. I remember one daughter imprisioned for neglect. I wish one had enough resources to take a legal case as far as it could go.
My ability to care is being eroded by lack of transport, a local surgery, and those background aids that support us. The 60 yr olds have to continue in employment where I know some would willing help older Carers care.
As previously said, paying cares surely would be a cheaper option than Care Home fees, but then big business would have to forgo a profit. How many in Governments of any couloir have a vested interest in keeping the status quo. I wrote to my MP but no reply. I emailed, it was acknowledged but no answer.
I agree, the status quo will go on. I fear that the green paper if it ever comes out will simply say that help should be given to keep PWD at home and we all know about that, don't we!!! Kindredxx

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
54 and a long way away from pension - what to do - already reduced hours, had a battle with employer to work from home one day per week. Need to keep working so I can pay our bills and my husband's care. If I stop work we could not survive on benefits, loose our house, apart from the fact that I would unlikely find future employment. With regard to 'choosing' to be a carer - would the alternative be to dump those we care for at the Government's door - my husband did not choose Alzheimer's, my grandfather and uncle did not opt for Huntingdon's, my aunt did not as a baby enjoy her car accident resulting in a permanent wheelchair-bound disability for life. I would not expect the equivalent of a full time basic wage, but would expect to receive the financial support to allow me to care properly for my husband and be able to reduce working hours that are manageable. Work-Life-Carer balance.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I'm probably one of the younger ones, at 51 next month. OH is a pensioner, so we do get her pension credit and that brings other benefits into play, so we are not as badly off as we could be. A decent wage to enjoy a few more luxuries would be lovely, but it's not going to happen.
The part about choosing to be a carer is not very realistic I agree, as it sort of creeps up on you. Not that I need to tell anyone here that. When filling in the form for carers allowance I hadn't realised how much I had taken on just from necessity and without realising it.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
54 and a long way away from pension - what to do - already reduced hours, had a battle with employer to work from home one day per week. Need to keep working so I can pay our bills and my husband's care. If I stop work we could not survive on benefits, loose our house, apart from the fact that I would unlikely find future employment. With regard to 'choosing' to be a carer - would the alternative be to dump those we care for at the Government's door - my husband did not choose Alzheimer's, my grandfather and uncle did not opt for Huntingdon's, my aunt did not as a baby enjoy her car accident resulting in a permanent wheelchair-bound disability for life. I would not expect the equivalent of a full time basic wage, but would expect to receive the financial support to allow me to care properly for my husband and be able to reduce working hours that are manageable. Work-Life-Carer balance.
Yes, choose is such a ridiculous word for such a ridiculous policy. Short sighted to say the least.
On the radio, about a week ago, there was a series about choice, the conclusion was there is never free choice. We are all conditioned by forces we do not understand, our background, our subconscious, the climate etc.etc. It is a good thing that most of us put Love first and really do care. The sacrifice for many is great. I am so sorry for your predicament.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent

Government responded

Let us hope the person who wrote this has to CHOOSE to look after their pwd loved one in the future!

Life

Oct 12, 2017
I work part-time. I would love to work full-time (and have the chance of a more financially secure future for myself and my children), however if I did my teenage children would then be left to care for their father. Would the Government then consider that they CHOSE to provide care? - At least it would be a cheap option for the Government, since they are too young to qualify for a Carer's Allowance.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I work part-time. I would love to work full-time (and have the chance of a more financially secure future for myself and my children), however if I did my teenage children would then be left to care for their father. Would the Government then consider that they CHOSE to provide care? - At least it would be a cheap option for the Government, since they are too young to qualify for a Carer's Allowance.
It is absolutely SO not right - I wish some politicians would take this on board properly - we are a forgotten majority

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
I have to say that I would not expect to be paid for what I do. I am retired and have an occupational pension plus the state one even though the tax man robs the state one. .
I would be in 100% agreement of a carer of employable age getting rewarded for their caring as they might be sacrificing their career in order to look after a loved one.

Last edited by a moderator:

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I have to say that I would not expect to be paid for what I do. I am retired and have an occupational pension plus the state one even though the tax man robs the state one. .
I would be in 100% agreement of a carer of employable age getting rewarded for their caring as they might be sacrificing their career in order to look after a loved one.
Excellent point John