The next step...

Elmo

Jun 1, 2013
My mum is coming into the latter stages of the disease and my dad is her main carer. She is very slow, her mobility is bad and she is becoming more incontinent. She needs a lot of support from him and he cares for her on his own. He has been recently diagnosed with kidney cancer and it is treatable but he needs to have treatment. He has spoken to social services and they are ready to act when is needed. I think he will want to keep her at home but my Auntie looked after her today whilst he was in hospital and she said it was so difficult and she is worried about the caring side whilst he is ill himself. So we need to have “the talk” about putting her in care so he can focus on his recovery. However, this will not be easy. I feel helpless because I have 2 small children and live an hours drive away. I’m worried that this next step will be the most upsetting of all but it needs to be done! Or will it be a relief? :(

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi Elmo, to make it more pallatable , can you suggest your mum has some "respite" rather than making a permanent decision initially. It may be easier for your dad to accept this so he is not guilt ridden to hinder his own recovery.

Herewego

Mar 9, 2017
The other option would be to have 24/7 live-in care, it is cheaper than a care home and perhaps something more acceptable to your father? If it was me I would opt to go for respite as Selinacroft suggests as the first option as your father will need all his effort to be concentrated on his own health, but perhaps if your parents house has a spare room use a live-in option as your fall back if a care home option isn't accepted?

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Respite sounds the way to go, to me too. I’m not sure where you live, but here in Kent, I found that a care home was a lot cheaper than trying to pay for 24/7 care at home. One company charged £1200 for 48 hours care.

Elmo

Jun 1, 2013
Thank you for your replies. I agree that respite will be the best option, I’m just hoping he agrees. He will struggle with the transition but hopefully it will be the best for both of them. They live near Leeds so I’m not sure of the cost implication. They are both still in their 60s which makes this situation even harder to face.