needs assesment

sue_1

Mar 29, 2017
Bristol
Me again asking for more advice, I so value all of the replies you give so would like to say thank you. Anyway, after phoning for many months mum will be having a needs assessment on wednedsday. I have no idea what will be involved, what questions will be asked or what questions to ask. I am useless at being put on the spot so think it might be worth being forwarned, can anyone give me some advice on this. ty.

Distressed55

May 13, 2018
Write down all the things that you have to help your mum with, from the moment she wakes up to the moment she goes to sleep. No matter how trivial you think it is, write it down. So washing, dressing, medication, preparing a meal, cutting it up, assistant with eating. Types of food she will eat, what she won't. Toilet habits, walking, sleeping. Help with getting out of bed, and so on. You get the idea.

I find that lists help marshal my own thoughts, and give rise to questions that you want answered. Write those down too!

And then you will be able to assess what help the LA is willing to offer. You may have to challenge them, if you think it's not enough. Which is why the lists are so important.

Good luck.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Try to figure out what you actually want from them. Respite, day care, carers, sitters, telecare (tracker gadgets), an OT to check out the place or all of the above? Also, are you getting a carers assessment at the same time? You really should.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
all of the above and especially describe your mum on her worst day
do not at any point say you can cope, in fact say you will not be able to continue without support
think of everything you want help with and ask for the moon, then you can negotiate downwards, it's very doubtful you would be offered more than you mention
don't just consider what your mum cannot do, mention everything she has any difficulty with

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Any aids that would help your mum get around the house - grab handles, walking frames etc, is your mum continent?

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
Hi
Maybe, could you look on line and print off needs assessment form so as you can take your time and pre fill with all info you can think of
Good luck

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
You could also ask if they provide things like a "sitting service" or a "carers in crisis" plan . Do they organise smoke alarms from the fire service? Do they offer lifeline pendants?
Will they fund a respite break ?
Have a think about what equipment might be useful to ask for -a walking zimmer frame, a walking stick, a door step, an over toilet seat, a bath seat, a tea trolley an overchair or over bed table, a rollator (walking frame with basket), slide sheets, bed rails/lever handle thing, pressure sore cushions, profiling bed, special drinking beakers, cutlery with big handles.... if you don't ask you don't get but you need to know it exists to ask for it in the first place.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy Mayor