Continuing health care decisions

Carrie Anne

Sep 7, 2011
Wiltshire
I'd be interested to know how long others have had to wait for a decision about NHS continuing care after their MDT meeting. Our meeting was at the beginning of February. I have been chasing a decision every few weeks but it's always the same story, 'we're waiting for a signature' 'we need more evidence' or 'oh yes that's going to panel soon'. Last time I called my patience had just about run out and I made it clear that I wasn't prepared to put up with it much longer. Haven't heard anything more and that was a fortnight ago. Is it unusual to have to wait so long for an answer?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I'm astonished that you are being kept waiting for so long. It will certainly be interesting to see if any other members have similar experiences.
Of course, every day that goes by is a day when they're not having to spend money.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The decision should come through pretty quickly. My Mum has been through the process twice. The first time the DST went to panel on the day it was completed and the decision letter came through a week later. The second time it took a bit longer (nearly 3 weeks) as - in the words of the assessor - the panel were being extremely picky about the wording of the DST but didn't actually need any additional evidence.

I suggest that you contact the assessor and ask:
  • What date did the assessment go to panel
  • Has a decision been made?
  • If not, why not? What is the problem?
Some assessors are better than others and unless you keep chasing them up repeatedly there is a tendency to ignore you! If you are having no luck with the assessor maybe try contacting the clinical commissioning group directly?

Kazzy2016

Mar 5, 2017
East Anglia
I'd be interested to know how long others have had to wait for a decision about NHS continuing care after their MDT meeting. Our meeting was at the beginning of February. I have been chasing a decision every few weeks but it's always the same story, 'we're waiting for a signature' 'we need more evidence' or 'oh yes that's going to panel soon'. Last time I called my patience had just about run out and I made it clear that I wasn't prepared to put up with it much longer. Haven't heard anything more and that was a fortnight ago. Is it unusual to have to wait so long for an answer?

I am still waiting for funding for my mum, Decision was made on 29 June but no payments made as of today. We are dealing with 2 neighbouring CCG’s as she moved care homes across a county line ( all of 4 miles), neither seems to want to honour the decision meanwhile mums health declining rapidly of which both have been appraised.
I really do not know what to do next as every call meets a further reason for delay. Byhe time it’s in payment Mum might be dead.

Travelling Daughter

Aug 15, 2018
Hi - I found Beacon Continuing Healthcare (a charity) really helpful. They were happy to speak on the phone, or by email, and pointed me in the right direction countless times. Though my father has still not been found to be eligible - so hard. We are considering applying again - any other views on if it's worth the immense effort? Dementia patients seem to be so rarely eligible.