Mums wash routine

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
My mother is bed bound,she has a bed wash by carers in the morning,and 3 other care visits to pad change through the day.
I'm curious to know if anyone knows what kind of cleaning to private parts are carried out through the day in their homes,I know that people say you shouldn't wash ladies bits as it has it's own good bacteria that help it to clean itself,but I'm thinking that may not apply to somebody lying down in a bed that urinates in to a pad,as the pad will absorb some of it,but a lot of liquid will sit in the different folds of the vagina and cause all sorts of problems.
My mum had been getting all sorts of sore bits,and I spoke to a district nurse this week and she asked me to buy Tena 3 in 1 wash for my mums vagina and for the carers to use this after each pad change,it doesn't need water and you don't remove it fully after wiping the area as a protecting layer is to be left to condition and protect the vagina,it's good because the carers don't have to wait for hot water and get bowls etc so it's very quick to use.
It's just made me think my mum must have been unwashed down there from the morning call to the next morning call,obviously her bottom was cleaned at pad changes,and to be honest I'm not sure that carers would spend much time if any washing the vagina in the morning either,as probably they were sticking to the convention of not washing inside
The Tena cream has been used for the last 2 days and my mum hasn't had any discomfort at all it seems to be as good as the district nurse says,it's just a shame it wasn't mentioned a long time ago

Last edited:

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I think the only way to know is to stand over them and see what they actually do. I understand that you may not want to do this. I always do as I only have one carer, so I am always the 'double up'. My choice. If I see that someone isn't washing thoroughly enough, then I tell them to do it again. I think the issue is that if you leave urine on the skin, then the skin will start to react badly (not sure of the technical/medical term), so everything has to be kept as clean as possible. One of mum's carers is so thorough with cleaning mum at the front that it almost makes my eyes water, but I know it's done properly. I think you are right that urine will be in all the folds of the skin, so as thorough a wash as possible is the best course of action to keep the skin in good condition. I think too much washing in that area for someone who is continent and showers regularly is one thing, but with incontinence, keeping the skin urine free is probably more important.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I think the only way to know is to stand over them and see what they actually do. I understand that you may not want to do this. I always do as I only have one carer, so I am always the 'double up'. My choice. If I see that someone isn't washing thoroughly enough, then I tell them to do it again. I think the issue is that if you leave urine on the skin, then the skin will start to react badly (not sure of the technical/medical term), so everything has to be kept as clean as possible. One of mum's carers is so thorough with cleaning mum at the front that it almost makes my eyes water, but I know it's done properly. I think you are right that urine will be in all the folds of the skin, so as thorough a wash as possible is the best course of action to keep the skin in good condition. I think too much washing in that area for someone who is continent and showers regularly is one thing, but with incontinence, keeping the skin urine free is probably more important.

Hi,yes that's what I'm thinking and it sounds awful but often the easiest route for the carers seemed to be bottom wipe at pad change and the vagina not touched what so ever,one of the girls that cares in he morning has started to pay more attention and now cleans with great scrutiny as they are aware that I have been anxious about sore areas and I have been having to ring the doctor,I have a couple of carers that you can tell hate being given anything extra to do and you can feel the tension in the air

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
It's great when you have a nice carer,Mum has a few girls that make her feel very special they use most of the call time,cream her feet,brush her her even at bedtime and after writing the notes a couple of them will go back to the bed and give her a squeeze on her hand and a little pat on the head,she's left in a very comfortable position and they will stand back from the bed and if she's not sitting quite right they will adjust the pillows,it's very heart warming.
On the flip side you can get people that are happy to leave her in a tangled mess, a 15 minute calls is short but they do not need to feed my mother so the 6 minutes the uninterested carers spend at the moment gives them 9 minutes to wash her parts which will be on there job list when they return from holiday,I like it when something new and good gets implemented when they are away from work as it gets established by the good carers

Last edited:

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
It's great when you have a nice carer,Mum has a few girls that make her feel very special they use most of the call time,cream her feet,brush her her even at bedtime and after writing the notes a couple of them will go back to the bed and give her a squeeze on her hand and a little pat on the head,she's left in a very comfortable position and they will stand back from the bed and if she's not sitting quite right they will adjust the pillows,it's very heart warming.
On the flip side you can get people that are happy to leave her in a tangled mess, a 15 minute calls is short but they do not need to feed my mother so the 6 minutes the uninterested carers spend at the moment gives them 9 minutes to wash her parts which will be on there job list when they return from holiday,I like it when something new and good gets implemented when they are away from work as it gets established by the good carers

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
But you shouldn't have to tolerate people who do not get the basics right. I know it's hard when you're at the mercy of agency carers, but some gentle feedback to the agency managers or Social Services usually helps. Or, as I said, stand in the room and watch them, and if you don't think the wash is thorough enough, then tell them how to do it. My agency carers are in the main OK, but I've got used to telling them how I want things done. It's one thing someone not knowing your routines and preferences, but if they are not doing a basic wash properly, you need to correct them or tell the agency to set things right.

I've never had to rely so much on others in my life, and I absolutely hate it, but it's the only way to keep mum at home! I will be very sad when mum has gone, but I will probably drink a toast to no more carers 'invading' my space.

I think most people doing these jobs are OK, I wouldn't want to do their job and as much as I find it hard having them here all the time, I am very grateful that there are people out there doing this, which helps me do what I want to - keep mum at home with me.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
But you shouldn't have to tolerate people who do not get the basics right. I know it's hard when you're at the mercy of agency carers, but some gentle feedback to the agency managers or Social Services usually helps. Or, as I said, stand in the room and watch them, and if you don't think the wash is thorough enough, then tell them how to do it. My agency carers are in the main OK, but I've got used to telling them how I want things done. It's one thing someone not knowing your routines and preferences, but if they are not doing a basic wash properly, you need to correct them or tell the agency to set things right.

I've never had to rely so much on others in my life, and I absolutely hate it, but it's the only way to keep mum at home! I will be very sad when mum has gone, but I will probably drink a toast to no more carers 'invading' my space.

I think most people doing these jobs are OK, I wouldn't want to do their job and as much as I find it hard having them here all the time, I am very grateful that there are people out there doing this, which helps me do what I want to - keep mum at home with me.

That wash cream that the district nurse advised that we use is called Tena 3 in 1 wash cream,you can get it prescribed by your G.P if you ask them as it's very difficult to source otherwise unless you get it online,they are more than happy to prescribe things like that, that prevent problems with the skin,they use it in hospitals.
My mum hasn't had any discomfort since we have been using it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet