APPROACHING END WITH MUM : EVERY DAY IS DIFFERENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
I'm so glad he is safely home. Oh for the days when people were sent to the seaside for three weeks to recover from even minor surgery! The word "convalescence" no longer seems to be in the medical vocabulary, especially since day surgery appeared on the scene! With any luck your dear brother will suddenly find himself fatigued after the initial excitement of being home, and enforced rest will necessarily follow. The other thing you might be able to say to him is what my physiotherapist has had occasion to say to me more than once: that if one overdoes it, and invites a "setback", then recovery after that is actually made slower by having overdone it. Gradual is best - and faster in the long run.

Many hugs, Carolyn. And btw: Well done you! xxxxx
Ah Thank You Carolyn. Some good advice there and it just might work! Actually he's resting - foot elevated too(!) - so perhaps I should just keep quiet! Many hugs winging their way back to you. With Love Jan xxxx ps yes oh for the days of "convelescence" .Not heard that for a long time! x

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
HI @Jezzer
Glad your brother is 'done and dusted' - I expect he is pleased that he has been fixed and is now on the mend. Hopefully as the GA will be in his system for a few days, he will want the opportunity to rest up a bit. Make sure that he supports all his leg when he elevates, not just his foot otherwise it puts a strain on other joints and it all ends up being a bit achy and counter productive.
Are you visiting Mum today? If so hope your visit is a good one and you are able to give her big dollops of love from you and brother.

XX

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
HI @Jezzer
Glad your brother is 'done and dusted' - I expect he is pleased that he has been fixed and is now on the mend. Hopefully as the GA will be in his system for a few days, he will want the opportunity to rest up a bit. Make sure that he supports all his leg when he elevates, not just his foot otherwise it puts a strain on other joints and it all ends up being a bit achy and counter productive.
Are you visiting Mum today? If so hope your visit is a good one and you are able to give her big dollops of love from you and brother.

XX
Hi Toony
Thanks for the advice - duly noted! Im at NH now. Just having a coffee while Mum is sorted out. She was sound asleep when I arrived but, again, no sign of distress. How are things with you Toony? With Love Jan xxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Well Mum slept soundly all through my visit. I did try to gently wake her but no, she wasn't having any of it. At one point she was smiling so, as always, I hope she is having happy thoughts, memories. The staff are so good and seem to look after me too! Coffee, biscuits and just popping in to check on us both. Well, I don't know about you but it has gotten really humid here again although it's overcast. I'm sure it must affect the residents. Nurse Jan signing off! Love to all xxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Well Mum slept soundly all through my visit. I did try to gently wake her but no, she wasn't having any of it. At one point she was smiling so, as always, I hope she is having happy thoughts, memories. The staff are so good and seem to look after me too! Coffee, biscuits and just popping in to check on us both. Well, I don't know about you but it has gotten really humid here again although it's overcast. I'm sure it must affect the residents. Nurse Jan signing off! Love to all xxx
Really really humid here, too, Jan. It warms my heart to know that the staff look after you, too. I hope mum having good memories, too. Sure she is! all love, Geraldinexx

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hello @Jezzer - hope you are OK. Glad Mum was enjoying happy dreams, and hope brother is being a model patient for you!
I'm doing fine - thanks for asking. Housework day today but it's hard going as I caught a horrid flu/ cold/ cough thing 4, yes 4 weeks ago in the midst of all the glorious baking hot weather. I am still wheezing like a concertina and although I feel better than I did, my 'get up and go' has got up and gone! I very generously passed the virus on to my OH, who despite attempting to be very manly about it, is likewise knocked for 6 and currently having an afternoon nap! No such luxuries for me though.
CH has just rung to say Mum has another UTI, so GP summoned for antibiotics. I'm visiting in the morning and as I just put on kindred's thread - the guilt monster gave me a quick bash around the head - but I don't think dashing across to see her today will do much good. She's usually not at all 'with it' when she has a UTI. I've told the Senior Carer (who is one of my favourites) I'm here and to ring if they need me - thankfully CH is only 15 mins away. Just got to whizz out now and buy her some more toothpaste and a new tooth brush to take in tomorrow. It's all go, isn't it?!

Look after yourself and brother
Love XXX

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Hello @Jezzer - hope you are OK. Glad Mum was enjoying happy dreams, and hope brother is being a model patient for you!
I'm doing fine - thanks for asking. Housework day today but it's hard going as I caught a horrid flu/ cold/ cough thing 4, yes 4 weeks ago in the midst of all the glorious baking hot weather. I am still wheezing like a concertina and although I feel better than I did, my 'get up and go' has got up and gone! I very generously passed the virus on to my OH, who despite attempting to be very manly about it, is likewise knocked for 6 and currently having an afternoon nap! No such luxuries for me though.
CH has just rung to say Mum has another UTI, so GP summoned for antibiotics. I'm visiting in the morning and as I just put on kindred's thread - the guilt monster gave me a quick bash around the head - but I don't think dashing across to see her today will do much good. She's usually not at all 'with it' when she has a UTI. I've told the Senior Carer (who is one of my favourites) I'm here and to ring if they need me - thankfully CH is only 15 mins away. Just got to whizz out now and buy her some more toothpaste and a new tooth brush to take in tomorrow. It's all go, isn't it?!

Look after yourself and brother
Love XXX
Ah Toony, nasty bug - not pleasant at all. Hope you - and OH - are soon over it. That wretched GM! Plays havoc with us doesn't it? The reason is we love and care so much so when we are at our most vulnerable, the damned thing unfairly grabs us round the throat. It would help neither your mum nor you to see her today with a uti. Been a while since mum had one but they affected her terribly. The antibiotics need to "kick-in" so stuff the GM!!! My brother's wound has been bleeding so I persuaded him to ring the hospital who said come back. At 3.15 we set off and, despite a 3 way traffic light system as you turn out of our road and huge tailback of traffic we arrived home at 4.10!!! I am so impressed. He was called in as soon as we arrived, wound cleaned up (nothing to worry about), new dressing on and all done. Yep it certainly is all go. Hope you and OH soon clear of virus and that your dear mum soon responds to antibiotics. Good that Senior Carer is on the case! With Love & Best Wishes. Jan xxxxx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Jan @Jezzer so glad that your brother is on the mend & you got to see your mum. Now hopefully you can chill out a bit for yourself after your hospital dash again. I’m so pleased you & your brother are on the same page for your mum xxxx

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hello again @Jezzer - thanks for the kind words.
Well done with the impressive bit of driving. Lewis Hamilton has got nothing on you - I'd love to see him negotiate traffic, deal with walking wounded and a hospital visit, all in under an hour!!
Hope you have a calm and pleasant evening now.
XX

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Hello again @Jezzer - thanks for the kind words.
Well done with the impressive bit of driving. Lewis Hamilton has got nothing on you - I'd love to see him negotiate traffic, deal with walking wounded and a hospital visit, all in under an hour!!
Hope you have a calm and pleasant evening now.
XX
Lewis Hamilton? He's still in the pit!!! I wouldn't mind his money. Not that it buys health but it would come in useful. Hope your evening is the same. Thank You Toony. Love Jan x

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Thank You @Carmar It would be lovely if Mum is having lovely thoughts. I hope so. Thinking of you, your Mum and hope work is going well. You have an awful lot on your plate. Take care. With Love xxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
hello everyone, Kindred here. Just to say that Jan is tied up with family matters at the moment and won't be able to post for a while.
Love and best, Kxx

AKiki13

Jun 4, 2018
hello everyone, Kindred here. Just to say that Jan is tied up with family matters at the moment and won't be able to post for a while.
Love and best, Kxx
Oh my goodness, I hope everything is ok? please pass on my love and thoughts to Jan and tell her I am thinking of her and when she is ready to get in touch.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Oh my goodness, I hope everything is ok? please pass on my love and thoughts to Jan and tell her I am thinking of her and when she is ready to get in touch.
Yes, please don't worry, it's not to do with her mum. Family things to arrange. She's well. Thank you I will pass on your lovely message. with love, Kindred.xx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Hi folks
I've had some things to sort out as @kindred kindly let you know but am pretty much sorted now. I have not forgotten about you all and you have been in my thoughts. My darling mum remains much the same but the Home called in the doctor recently. She is wide awake during the night and will eat snacks and drink tea and coffee. Obviously the kitchen is unable to provide a great deal of choice in the middle of the night but staff do their best to rustle up something nice for her. Then of course she sleeps during the day and doesn't want breakfast, lunch or tea. They are unable to administer her meds either. Her days and nights are all mixed up. So, starting this week, she has been given a sleeping pill at night in an attempt to correct her sleeping pattern. I told the GP I was concerned about her being "doped up" but he assured me this was a short-term plan and that she will be closely monitored. I can see their point and if she's hungry, I don't want her to be missing meals, especially the lovely lunches. She eats very little but she does manage some food. Nor do I want her to miss the essential meds. I think yesterday is the first time she has been more responsive. She has naturally deteriorated though and, as always, I am struggling to watch her like this, helpless to do anything. I won't post every day now but will update occasionally. My love and best wishes to you all. Jan x

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi folks
I've had some things to sort out as @kindred kindly let you know but am pretty much sorted now. I have not forgotten about you all and you have been in my thoughts. My darling mum remains much the same but the Home called in the doctor recently. She is wide awake during the night and will eat snacks and drink tea and coffee. Obviously the kitchen is unable to provide a great deal of choice in the middle of the night but staff do their best to rustle up something nice for her. Then of course she sleeps during the day and doesn't want breakfast, lunch or tea. They are unable to administer her meds either. Her days and nights are all mixed up. So, starting this week, she has been given a sleeping pill at night in an attempt to correct her sleeping pattern. I told the GP I was concerned about her being "doped up" but he assured me this was a short-term plan and that she will be closely monitored. I can see their point and if she's hungry, I don't want her to be missing meals, especially the lovely lunches. She eats very little but she does manage some food. Nor do I want her to miss the essential meds. I think yesterday is the first time she has been more responsive. She has naturally deteriorated though and, as always, I am struggling to watch her like this, helpless to do anything. I won't post every day now but will update occasionally. My love and best wishes to you all. Jan x
Hi Jan @Jezzer
So good to hear from you xx
I’m sorry to hear about your mum’s difficulties but the sleeping meds sound a good plan to me -speaking as an insomniac, that is !!
Fully understand your intention not to post daily.
Hope your brother’s recovery is going well and that you are taking care of yourself too.
In haste
With love
Lindy xx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Hi Jan @Jezzer
So good to hear from you xx
I’m sorry to hear about your mum’s difficulties but the sleeping meds sound a good plan to me -speaking as an insomniac, that is !!
Fully understand your intention not to post daily.
Hope your brother’s recovery is going well and that you are taking care of yourself too.
In haste
With love
Lindy xx
Hello my good friend!
I have to say I was surprised and impressed at the NH calling in the GP. We know mum is "shutting down" but they are doing their best to keep her comfortable and to help her and we really appreciate that. A few weeks ago there was a dreadful feature in our newspaper about a local care home. I'de heard rumours but it made for very distressing and, frankly, shocking reading. I felt so sorry for residents but also for families. One lady, whose mum had passed away in there, was so upset. She'd not witnessed any problems with her mum but of course was now wondering if she'd been subjected to the appalling treatment. We place our loved ones in care because they now need beyond what we can give and we put our trust in the Homes. To discover this is dreadful. We struck lucky with mum's NH. Just taking my bro for check up but all seems OK Thank You. Let me know how you are when you can! Much Love Jan xxxxx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Hi Jan @Jezzer glad things are more sorted out for you & hopefully the meds will sort out your mum’s sleeping pattern.
Your care home sounds a very good one to be honest & it’s great that they want to make your mum as comfortable as possible xxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.