Coping with OCD

Maryland

Mar 30, 2015
North East UK
MY OH has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s/vascular tendencies for six years now but I find his ocd is getting worse. I just wondered If anyone has any advice how I can cope. His latest is making sure everything is locked up by 6pm and all the blinds are closed and doors locked. This ritual is every night. He then checks the same things every half hour until it is time for bed. I found I am having to open the blinds about ten times a night to make a cup of the when it is still light outside. It is probably bothering me more than him. His half hourly ritual is going round the garden picking up all the leaves during the day. I can cope with this and just ignore it. It’s just today has been really bad and I have no solution. Thanks for any advice. Can’t seem to get him interested in doing anything either,

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
MY OH has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s/vascular tendencies for six years now but I find his ocd is getting worse. I just wondered If anyone has any advice how I can cope. His latest is making sure everything is locked up by 6pm and all the blinds are closed and doors locked. This ritual is every night. He then checks the same things every half hour until it is time for bed. I found I am having to open the blinds about ten times a night to make a cup of the when it is still light outside. It is probably bothering me more than him. His half hourly ritual is going round the garden picking up all the leaves during the day. I can cope with this and just ignore it. It’s just today has been really bad and I have no solution. Thanks for any advice. Can’t seem to get him interested in doing anything either,
I do so sympathise. My OH was like this. When I got really to end of my tether and tried to stop him, he had one of his rare moments of lucidity and said, Ican't do much to keep us safe now, let me do this.
Understanding that helped a bit. Now I find I am having to fight double checking all the time when I go out ... OCD can be a bit catching ... with love, Kindred. xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It sounds like chronic anxiety @Maryland and all I can suggest is a visit to the GP for medication to try to calm your OH. It`s not just for you, I'm sure that level of anxiety can't be good for your OH either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa