My lack of finances if partner goes into care

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
I wonder if anyone is in a similar situation to myself? I am caring for my partner (for the past 5 years). We have been together for 20 years but not married. I intend to care for my partner as long as I am able to, but I can't help but think about what will happen to me financially if he has to go into care. I gave up a well paid job to care for him (Alzheimers) and we manage on his state pension and a modest private pension of his, and we claim attendance (higher level) and carers allowance. I own the property we live in. He has under 14k savings and I have a small savings amount.
I do not have a private pension of any significance (being born in 1950's, although worked most of my life, and brought up a family, we did not have the same advantages as men, so no pension to speak of, and no NI pension as yet).
My question is if my partner had to go into care would I be entitled to half of his private pension, or would the fact that we are not married count against me? I know this sounds selfish but I feel very vulnerable financially and lay awake at night worrying, knowing that I would probably have to sell my property just to survive.

Gingercatlady

Aug 7, 2017
Hi, you should contact your local Alzheimer's society information and support line, I've just been talking to mine and I've found them really useful, informative and friendly.

You need to get some professional advice so that you know for sure where you stand, maybe a solicitor. Do it sooner rather than later.

I wish you all the best

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I think but dont know for sure it is unlikely that you would be entitled to a share of his pension. Could you arrange to talk to an expert on benefits etc. After my husband had a spell in hospital I got a phone call from such a person attached to social services I think asking if they could come and give me some advice. I have my own pension from teaching so didn’t need it but I thought how helpful that would be to others.

Dont on any account sell your home. Are you close to retirement age? There will be benefits you can access if you cannot find work. You need good info from the right people.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I agree with getting advice..at least even if you are given worst case scenario you know what you are facing rather than worrying about the unknown. I don't know but would think in order to keep half your partner's pension you need to be married. However there may be benefits you can claim and if he is being cared for in a home you may then be able to get back out into the workplace. It is an advantage that you own your home without your OH having any share. Seek advice.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
Thank you all for your advice, I will seek further help but my gut feeling is that I will have to return to work after being away for many years, not easy as Ialso have other medical issues,and I am 64 and worn out with all of this caring. I suppose I am lucky enough to be able to sell if need be. Yes it 's better to know what the bottom line is instead of worrying endlessly.
At least I have my NI contributions paid whilst I am caring.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Thank you all for your advice, I will seek further help but my gut feeling is that I will have to return to work after being away for many years, not easy as Ialso have other medical issues,and I am 64 and worn out with all of this caring. I suppose I am lucky enough to be able to sell if need be. Yes it 's better to know what the bottom line is instead of worrying endlessly.
At least I have my NI contributions paid whilst I am caring.
I think it would be worth while talking to the help line, details as follows
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

There is also an AS Factseet about benefits and, in the hope that it may be of some use to you, here’s a link to it https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites/default/files/migrate/downloads/factsheet_benefits.pdf

Liepy

Oct 10, 2017
I know this may sound daft but would marriage be an option at this late stage?

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
I know this may sound daft but would marriage be an option at this late stage?
Thanks KaraokePete for your help.
Hello Liepy, we did consider getting married about 7 years ago but it didn't seem that important at the time, we were both busy working having holidays upgrading our home, ( we both had previous marriages and lots of sadness so just grateful for this pocket of happiness) then when dementia struck everything was out of the window anyway total life change, family and friends withdrew, income depleted ..... and it goes on as we all know on here. Sorry that was a bit long winded, but thanks for your interest.

Angela57

Jan 22, 2016
Hi Padmag, if you did marry, would your property currently in your name, then belong to both of you, half each? And could it then be used to pay towards his care should he go into a home.

I would seek legal advise to ensure you know all the options and consequences.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Property would remain in sole ownership of the OP.
Any wills would become null and void.
Partner may not have sufficient capacity to marry.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Might be worth contacting private pension company to find out if you are entitled to his pension once he has died. This may be a supporting argument towards claiming when he goes into care

Just my thoughts, no real experience

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Have you thought of your partner getting care while stillin your home but not from you. If SS decides he needs care after a needs assessment they must provide carers funded by them if his savings under £23K and house disregarded (would be anyway in your name) if financial assessmnet is for domicillary care as opposed to residential care. If he is still at home, no one can take his private pension and you keep the AA and can still keep the CA even if you get SS funded carers in.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
Hope all works out for you. I am sure it will
Linda. Xx
Thanks for your concern Liepy, you know what its like some days/nights lack of sleep make some issues gigantic feels like that just lately, but eventually I shake myself out of it and can see some sort of way forward. Luckily i am not high maintenance so will survive somehow.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
Hi Padmag, if you did marry, would your property currently in your name, then belong to both of you, half each? And could it then be used to pay towards his care should he go into a home.

I would seek legal advise to ensure you know all the options and consequences.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
Thanks Angela 57 like Nitram says marrying is not an option as he does not have cognitive ability anymore. He knows I'm familiar but doesn't understand who I am in relationship to him.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
Might be worth contacting private pension company to find out if you are entitled to his pension once he has died. This may be a supporting argument towards claiming when he goes into care

Just my thoughts, no real experience
Hello 2Jays I have already been in touch with his pension provider and because he drew his pension before the new rules (where partners can be taken into account) it would not be possible.Thanks I am always in debt to all you at TP and your helpful and incitive advice.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
Have you thought of your partner getting care while stillin your home but not from you. If SS decides he needs care after a needs assessment they must provide carers funded by them if his savings under £23K and house disregarded (would be anyway in your name) if financial assessmnet is for domicillary care as opposed to residential care. If he is still at home, no one can take his private pension and you keep the AA and can still keep the CA even if you get SS funded carers in.
Hello Selinacroft, no I had not thought about that, and it is definitely worth looking at for the future. If possible it could provide caring for Richard at home before of even if he needed to go into RH. As 24/7 care in the home is more expensive than a RH I don't know whether the social services would sanction this cost. Thanks for giving me this idea to look at I had never thought of it.