So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Thanks, 2Jays and Slugsta.
Some aspect of biology, Slugsta. Was so excited I forgot to ask! However, her sister has done GCSEs so more news next week!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Thanks, Red. I’m a tad worried, she’s such a quiet girl! I feel she would have been better at York, her second choice. But kids of that age want to go to London! I know I did at her age! Imperial is good, went to several conferences there in my younger days!

Lunch with friends today, I’m looking forward to it. Weathers good as well! What more can I want? ( don’t answer that!).

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Congratulations to grandau for getting good results and a place at Imperial - my dad went to Imperial (during the war - so suspect it has changed somewhat). In my day Imperial had a fantastic reputation in Science and Engineering subjects. Although it is what you make of it.

I'm sure she'll enjoy it, however quiet she is, she might come out of herself.

Dry here at the moment, still catching up on holiday washing as weather hasn't been that good in total. Dau was out wed and thur when weather was good. Just put floor rugs in to machine

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
It’s proper name is Imperial College for Science Technology and Medicine. So still science! I think both girls are spreading their wings a bit. I can remember the days when they would barely say hello!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
@Spamar
Suspect you will be surprised at how non quiet she may become once at uni :)

If she’s had the confidence to choose London, she’s obviously got hidden bags of confidence. :)

Clever girl

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
got stung by a wasp whilst out on the bike, just above lip, now got swelling across bit of face between lip and nose, and then into cheek, running down to jawbone. I don't like getting stung by wasps.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
got stung by a wasp whilst out on the bike, just above lip, now got swelling across bit of face between lip and nose, and then into cheek, running down to jawbone. I don't like getting stung by wasps.

OUCH!!!!

You got piriton??

Teaching suck eggs moment.... keep close observation on swelling and go to AnE if it gets worse. At my great age, I suddenly had reactions to stings that I’ve never had before

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I don't like piriton it makes me feel really groggy, I take loratadine for hayfever, and although you shouldn't in theory, I've taken citirizine which the kids use for hayfever, so swelling is going down a little and I feel a little less groggy.

I do know I react like this, so was worried once I got stung. I also know taking both types of hayfever tablets together have worked before (or maybe only the citirizine works).

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Slugsta, my sis and her OH are also off on a med cruise in September too! We are planning a holiday with the two of them for next year, and they are trying to persuade us to try a cruise with them. I quite like having the chance to thoroughly explore one place, having the time to find all the little gems there, but they went on a cruise or their honeymoon last year and I must admit, listening to them and seeing the pics, I am tempted!

Spamar - huge congrats to your Grandaughter! That's fantastic. Got fingers firmly crossed for the GCSE results for her sister too xxx I'm sure the older one will do fine at Imperial - the main reason that I am a bit gutted that youngest isn't going down the uni route (or at least not at the moment) is the difference I've seen going away to uni make to my older two - they really blossomed, in terms of growing up and gaining more confidence. I hope your girl has as good a time at her uni as my two oldest5 haqd at theirs :)

OUCH JM - that sounds so sore! Really hope the combination of meds has helped and its less painful now.

2Jays - thanks for that link . I hadn't looked at Wiki, some stuff there I hadn't come across before, so Interesting. I definitely like the sound of hopping on a boat over to Lanzarote to the National park. Thanks for that. How are things going with the 'roof saga' BTW? Is is ll sorted for you now?

Had a nice long weekend off work, got the house straight, managed to finally finish editing the Galway photographs, read 3 books - and visited Mil. Found her in fine form, very twitchy from the TD, but able to sit in a chair. Her speech wsn't brilliant though, that's also down to the TD affecting her jaw and tongue, and she was having moments of real frustration because it was so hard to understand what she was saying. Mind you - when she got cross and shouted (as happened once or twice) somehow, her temper made her speech a lot clearer! The day before, the home had had one of its 'fun days' where they had put on a 'Hollywood Glamour' party - all the residents had dressed up, lots of singing and mini Oscars handed out to the residents. Mil won the Oscar for the 'Funniest Resident' (though during my visit it did occure to me that an Oscar for the 'Sweariest resident' might also have been appropriate!) and when one of the staff brought it over to her, she proudly showed it to me - though she also insisted she had 'bought it from Bevans' at one point ! Her breathing is pretty bad, though the staff say that she seems much better - it does seem like the COPD is really starting to have a big impact now. Over the last few weeks, she has started this trick of pulling deliberately odd faces - not the TD, this is different - and making strange, really loud 'Ooooohing' noises as a response often when you say something to her. Its very childlike and I saw a lot of that yesterday. Its almost like she is clowning around and trying to make you laugh, and it looks (and sounds) very bizarre. And still the unpredictability - laughing one minute, giving you a hug - then a thump or scratch or slap from nowhere. And I don't think that there is a member of staff that hasn't been soaked from her habit of suddenly lobbing cups of tea, milk or pop at them.

No response- so far - from the Minister. Safe to say I didn't pull any punches, and was extremely scathing in my reply. It took him over 4 weeks to respond to the last one - not holding my breath waiting for a response this time. I guess coming up with 'alternative facts' takes time :rolleyes:

Luna continues to settle really well. We've made progress with her pond obsession (much to the relief of the frogs, she no longer is leaping in there several times a day!), slowly but surely she is learning the command 'Quiet', and starting to respond when we want her to stop barking. We have an issue with her being quite destructive with her toys though - she doesn't touch anything else, never goes near shoes or anything she shouldn't - but seems to pick one toy at a time to destroy. Which is a pain, but not something that would worry me if it wasn't for the fact that she then tries to eat bits of said toy, once she has reduced it to fragments. Tennis balls are toast once she starts on them, soft toys are disembowled regularly, even really tough rubber and plastic toys have ended up in bits, and she them tries to eat them. I stop her when I catch her, but I can't watch her 24/7 and I suspect that unless I can find a way round this, she is going to end up at the vets. Not quite sure how to tackle this one - not had this problem with my other pooches, they occasionally wreck a toy by over-chewing, but they don't then try to eat it. She is walked daily, with the other two dogs she has lots of company, and its rare for all of us humans to be all out at the same time for anything longer than an hour or two, so I don't think its boredom. I've got her a couple of the 'super' tough chewy toys, that are supposed to withstand being gnawed to bits - but she has managed to defeat them all. And she does love her toys - we have a basket filled with them and she helps herself, wanting to play catch or fetch or simply entice Seamus to chase her and get a toy off her. Has anyone got any tips? I really don't want her to make herself ill eating something thats going to cause her problems by causing a blockage or whatever :(

Right - talking of pooches, walk time! sending much love to everyone, hope all are OK xxxxx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Thanks for that, 2Jays.

She has a full health check record, no issue mentioned there that could provide a medical reason for the behaviour. Food wise - well, because Busta is 17, I am really fussy about decent food for them and when we got her, I checked with the in house vet at the big near-by pet store, as well as the person who owns the local pet shop that I always use, and the food that she is having - same as I give Busta and Seamus - is up at the top, nutritionally - and mixed with a little wet food, to add interest, as advised. Food portions are as reccommended for each dogs size, with Busta getting a little extra, because of his age. Fed twice a day, as advised, too. Exercise - well, good walk every morning, and usually in the afternoon, I just open the back garden gate, that leads to the field, and both she and Seamus have a mad 20 minutes or so playing chase, with me just stood at the gate - she has (believe it or not) a 'nerf gun' for doggies, and as both she and Shay like catch and fetch, I just stand there like an idiot firing the balls for them, and believe me - they get a darn good run! As for attention - most days she is by my side most of the time. If I am on the laptop, she is on my knee or at my feet, if I am moving around, she is at my heels, pretenting to chase the hoover or mop, trotting by me as I put things away. Either that, or she and Seamus are charging round together, in and out of the house. I honestly don't think she is bored or lonely. I think it is just a bad habit - and one I need to sort before she ends up with an obstruction!

I think all the toys are going to have to be replaced with the really tough toys - although, as said, I do have things like a Kong pull toy and a Kong teething ring (bought for Shay as a puppy) - and she has managed to chew chunks off both. When I catch her, I tell her no and take the toy off her. I've bought her some of the tough rope toys too, which are advised and she has wrecked them, they end up looking like tassles! But, that results in just short strands of rope fibre, so perhaps not as risky?

She has had her brekkie, a walk, then she spent a blissful 15 minutes on my lap being groomed - I never want her coat to be so matted again, it must have been so uncomfortable for her, so she is brushed daily and twice a week I do a really thorough top to tail on her, which she loves. She then wanted a game of fetch on the patio - so she and Shay spent 5 minutes doing that until it evolved into a game of chase - they are now cuddled up together in her basket, snoozing. I'm going to remove the flimsier toys whilst they are sleeping (hoping they won't hear and want to turn it into a game) and this week I'll go out and get a selection of sturdier toys - and hope it helps.

Cheers 2jays xxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
No experience of dogs destroying toys, I’m afraid. When I was a kid, out springer pup managed to chew the heel of two of fathers shoes. One left and one right, but different colour shoes. However, only work shoes, usually dusty, so didn’t really matter. She also took a pair of mothers stockings and swallowed them whole. Fortunately, they came out the other end - intact!

JM, I use loratidine and the spray flucticasone. I’ve used them for several years, all year round, but only recently has it got any better. I think not going out much might have something to do with it.
Sometimes size of particle is a trigger, rather than what it actually is. Any joy there? However, back in the day when I was out lots, no effect. I blame having my nose stuck in grasses covered in pollen might have been the trigger, but don’t know.

Breezy and cloudy here! But yesterday had coffee and cake, plus long chat, with a friend at nearest NT property, which is on the top of a cliff. Not a very big cliff, to be sure, but still a cliff!