My mum's vascular dementia

Norfolk Cherry

Feb 17, 2018
@malcolmc I wish you and your mum all the best and have been following your thread with great sympathy and interest as I appear to be following in your footsteps with my mum who has started saying to her carers and me that she is not hungry.. Please keep us posted, I am in a constant state of adjustment with mum, but have decided to start weighing her monthly and put her name down for care homes now.

malcolmc

Mar 11, 2017
Colchester
Thank you try again, Norfollk Cherry and Sarasa for your comments.

Well, it's a week now since we moved mum to AH, her new Residential Care Home. Leaving her there was very difficult and emotional, but the staff were brilliant throughout. We have returned back to our home, but will be returning to visit mum later this week. Reports from the AH staff have far exceeded my expectations. Mum seems happy, is eating at every mealtime (although small portions still) and is joining in organised activities.Her mood is reported to be "good", yet she was becoming very depressed in her own home and we were finding it difficult to find anything to lift her spirits.

I'll report back once we've seen mum for ourselves in AH, later this week, but the news so far is extremely positive.

Norfolk Cherry

Feb 17, 2018
So good to hear things have got off to a good start. It really sounds as if you have made the right decision, such a difficult thing to do. But the right thing. Thanks for keeping us updated, I'm off tomorrow for my second round of care home visits.

honeybears

Oct 18, 2014
Hampshire
I have read your posts from start to finish with interest as the very first post that you made was almost a mirror image of the situation I am in with my Father who has Vascular Dementia. Having been through the Dementia journey with my Mum (Alzheimers), who sadly passed away in February this year, I am now having to look at increasing the day to day care for my Father who at present still lives at home on his own but my journey with him is far and away different to the journey I had with my Mum who as a result of being discharged after a period of time in hospital during which the diagnosis of Alzheimers was made, had everything put in place for her and for me made things alot easier - that coupled with the fact that Dad was still living in the family home, everything was funded for her, including residential care although we were making a contribution from her pension - I am now at the stage after a couple of incidents recently, whereby I need to decide whether Dad is able to stay at home any longer or whether moving him into a care home would be beneficial - having read how similar your Mum is with regards to personality and not accepting outside help which is the same situation I have with my Father, it was interesting to read how well she had settled into the care home once constant care was readily available, which is something I am hopeful may be the case for my Father - I will continue to read your posts with interest and wish you well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cat09