Iv fluids

Jaynie

Sep 11, 2016
Really struggling at the moment.. mum 95 has been in hosputal for 5 weeks now. Dementia progressed to end stage. Swollow very poor and just a few mouth fulls of soft diet daily if lucky. Decline has been very rapid due to another bout of pneumonia.. 4th in 3 years and recent plueral effusion. Fluid drained 2 weeks ago but no inclination to eat or drink. Now 40 kilos... Hospital say she is now medically fit for discharge .No talk of end of life care or a plan going forward. Doctor said today when questioned about iv fluids mum was having daily ..that they had a duty of care to hydrate her up to discharge as mum was choosing not to eat and drink...really astounded at the lack respect and empathy. Luckily we have an amazing care home that mum lives in .. they are prepared to have mum home for pallative care with gp and district nurse support.Thank the lord .

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
My goodness @Jaynie ...it’s hard to believe the hospital are willing to let,your mum go with no further care on their part. Thank goodness for the care home your mum will be returning to. It is so very hard to see our loved ones so ill. I used to find it hard when people assumed that because someone is older, their being ill is not such a tragedy...but however old our loved ones are, they are our LOVED ones.
Please do continue to use the forum, the members are so supportive and, I would even say, loving. It makes all the difference in the world when someone says to you ‘I know how that feels’.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Really struggling at the moment.. mum 95 has been in hosputal for 5 weeks now. Dementia progressed to end stage. Swollow very poor and just a few mouth fulls of soft diet daily if lucky. Decline has been very rapid due to another bout of pneumonia.. 4th in 3 years and recent plueral effusion. Fluid drained 2 weeks ago but no inclination to eat or drink. Now 40 kilos... Hospital say she is now medically fit for discharge .No talk of end of life care or a plan going forward. Doctor said today when questioned about iv fluids mum was having daily ..that they had a duty of care to hydrate her up to discharge as mum was choosing not to eat and drink...really astounded at the lack respect and empathy. Luckily we have an amazing care home that mum lives in .. they are prepared to have mum home for pallative care with gp and district nurse support.Thank the lord .
Mum is currently in hospital and she too nine times out of ten is refusing food and drink, can't talk and mainly sleeps - she is having an odd bowl of soup here and there, I am surprised that she is still going. I'm waiting for the day when we go in and the docs say that she is ready for discharge. It is lucky (if there is such a thing) that your Mum's care home are willing to care for her.
Sending hugs

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mums dementia progressed to end stage following a a broken hip and she too stopped eating and drinking. She was taken into hospital , but all they could do was rehydrate her; there was no treatment possible.

TBH I was glad that she was sent back to her care home for palliative care, I did no want her to die in the hospital, must better to pass away peacefully in a place that was familiar being cared for by people who she recognised.

You are entering a difficult phase now @Jaynie as your mums body is slowly closing down. She does not need to eat or drink anymore and her body wont be able to process it now. The care home and District Nurses will make sure that she is kept pain free and comfortable right up to the end - they were wonderful with my mum and Im sure they will be with your mum too. It is surprising how long the body can keep going at this stage, my mum went 17 days without food or fluid, but it is usually much less than this. Make sure you say all the important things to her. Look after yourself too
xx

susanne1964

Mar 1, 2010
hertfordshire
Hi @Jaynie , my thoughts are with you at such a horrible time. I agree that your mum is not able to process food or drink and does not need it... All I can say is please stay strong at this difficult time and take care of yourself. Your mum knows that you love her and that you want what is best ....
Take very good care of yourself
Xx