One male carer alone doing full body care with my wife.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
As dad declined he sometimes had 2 carers for personal care as he was very resistant and speed with distraction was sometimes successful. However if the carers are well trained and have a caring and professional attitude and approach it shouldn't really be a problem which gender is attending providing the pwd is not upset by either.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Would those who find the situation described unacceptable feel the same if the resident was male and the carer female?
And I'm not sure why the fact that carers are probably on the minimum wage is relevant.

Big feet pete.

Nov 6, 2017
Suffolk
The reason i dont like it has nothing to do with it being a male the thing is my wife is always agitated for most of the morning on the days when the carer is working he seems to not take any time its like he is in a race and he cant tell her whats happening as he can only speak bits of English and he talks fast anyway ive seen other carers who are more gentle in waking her up in the mornings and my wife is fine this guy just starts lifting the bed up and oulling the quilt up before she is even awake.

Big feet pete.

Nov 6, 2017
Suffolk
As dad declined he sometimes had 2 carers for personal care as he was very resistant and speed with distraction was sometimes successful. However if the carers are well trained and have a caring and professional attitude and approach it shouldn't really be a problem which gender is attending providing the pwd is not upset by either.

Big feet pete.

Nov 6, 2017
Suffolk
Its not so much the fact he is male its becouse ive seen him get her up he just lifted up the bed and took the quilt off before telling her what was happening which he cant anyway as he only speaks bits of English and seems to me very ruff and quick when washing her like he was in a race he is more concerned about ticking the boxes than careing for the peorson

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
Its not so much the fact he is male its becouse ive seen him get her up he just lifted up the bed and took the quilt off before telling her what was happening which he cant anyway as he only speaks bits of English and seems to me very ruff and quick when washing her like he was in a race he is more concerned about ticking the boxes than careing for the peorson

Then what you feel sounds more like the carer’s manner than the fact that he is male??

Like previously stated though if you are uncomfortable with your wife having a male carer due to her age....then my advice is to discuss this with the manager.

In my opinion as long as your wife is treated with respect, dignity and care, then it is irrelevant if the carer is, male or female, but that’s just my opinion, you must do what makes you feel absolutely comfortable.