Mum won't wear incontinent pads

Clevers14

Sep 3, 2015
My Mum wets her bed every night and is incontinent throughout the day. Our carer and I have tried to persuade her to wear pull-ups but Mum won't and says she doesn't need them. What can we do?

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hi clevers, just wanted to acknowledge your post, at this stage I don't have experience of this problem with both my mum and mum in law, however I believe your mum could be assessed by an incontinence nurse, have a chat with mums GP to see what they advise you to do, I am sure someone will be along here who has lots of information or advice to help you.
Take care
Chris

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hello Clevers and welcome to TP :)

I really identify with your situation. My mum started off by denying there was any need for pads....we could never get her to accept them, until a bit further along the line, when it became possible to be firm about it. I asked the carer not to "offer" to change mum's pad, but to say, "time to change your pad", then "now let's have some tea and cake", or similar. It was never easy, though, and she never really accepted it. Now she is completely doubly incontinent, and it's still a problem. Even when she can be persuaded to wear a pad, as soon as anyone turns their back, she has it off again. We have found loads of soiled pads hidden under magazines etc in mum's flat....:(

So, I'm sorry, I can't give you an answer, but I can tell you you're not alone!

Anyone got any ideas....please?!?

Lindy xx

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Even my lovely compliant OH said "I am not wearing THAT!", when first confronted with pull-ups. He soon got over it though, mainly because I gave him no choice - all his normal underwear had been hidden.

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
Don't give a choice - stick pads in pants, or remove normal pants and only leave pull ups

Or get a nurse in uniform to try to convince her

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Don't give a choice - stick pads in pants, or remove normal pants and only leave pull ups

Or get a nurse in uniform to try to convince her

Mum is beyond convincing now really, but I did get the district nurse in earlier to no effect, I'm afraid.

I think not having a choice ( hard as that is) must be a major part of the answer. Though mum still takes them off and either squirrels them away, or tries to flush them down the loo....

Honestly it's one of the most intractable problems we have in her care.....

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I found the phrase.." The Doctor said....." worked wonders with my Mum. She belonged to the generation who respected and believed every word a GP said.:D
Try " the Doctor recommends that all his elderly lady patients wear these. There's a very nasty bug about and these prevent you catching it" :rolleyes:

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I found the phrase.." The Doctor said....." worked wonders with my Mum. She belonged to the generation who respected and believed every word a GP said.:D
Try " the Doctor recommends that all his elderly lady patients wear these. There's a very nasty bug about and these prevent you catching it" :rolleyes:

Good idea cragmaid ;). I will try a version of 'the doctor said' again......and will also try to re-boot the system of the carers and myself all saying exactly the same thing....:) xx

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I've woken up this old thread as I'm now having exactly this problem with my dad and I think he's moving into double incontinence while at the same time hoping that poop all over the bedroom yesterday was because he has a bug...

Any ideas anyone?

Cleo87

Jan 17, 2018
Hi clevers, just wanted to acknowledge your post, at this stage I don't have experience of this problem with both my mum and mum in law, however I believe your mum could be assessed by an incontinence nurse, have a chat with mums GP to see what they advise you to do, I am sure someone will be along here who has lots of information or advice to help you.
Take care
Chris

Cleo87

Jan 17, 2018
My mum has become incontiment and flatly refuses to wear pull ups every evening I put a pair on at bed time within Five mins they have been ripped off and torn to shreds then of course every where is wet she denies doing anything I am at my wits end it is a. Constant battle she was in a.care home fir two years but very unhappy so we decided to convert a room and bring her home 8weeks in it's the biggest mistake we could of made .

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I bought mum a popper vest and with the pad or pull ups secure inside I then put on an ordinary pair of knickers with a small pad inside these - purpose being that she could pull the pad out of knickers and not realise that she still had pad inside vest - make sense!? it worked until she worked out where the poppers were and undid it, so then I adapted the vest by adding a piece of material to cover up the poppers, stitched at the front and poppers at the back that she could not reach-really strong poppers at the back. Sounds like a lot of work, but it really wasn't

what made me do this was remembering those all in one vests for baby that come up between the legs and tied at the back.

Reman

Jan 21, 2018
My Mum wets her bed every night and is incontinent throughout the day. Our carer and I have tried to persuade her to wear pull-ups but Mum won't and says she doesn't need them. What can we do?
I had a similar problem, at night I use the bed pads and then put the sheet over, it save the mattress, but does mean washing sheet and pad. Day time it was hit and miss, I tried every pads or pull up pants available, some days it's a battle, it cost a fortune trying different products and it took a few months but now my partner accepts, but for the routine moan every morning.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Cleo87
I just noticed that you wrote this at the end of your post
it's the biggest mistake we could of made .
if you know this is the case, there's nothing to stop you finding a new care home for your mum - it wouldn't be a reflection on your relationship, just an acknowledgement that your mum needs a team of carers to provide the level of care she now needs
I think you did what many have considered, because we want the best for our parent - the sad fact is that our parent is not going to be 'happy' anywhere because of the effects of the dementia - so the best you can do is make sure that your mum is well looked after; that doesn't have to be in your own home by you

Rey61

Mar 23, 2017
Even my lovely compliant OH said "I am not wearing THAT!", when first confronted with pull-ups. He soon got over it though, mainly because I gave him no choice - all his normal underwear had been hidden.
How did it go when you hid the underwear? I am at that stage myself now as my m-i-l doesn't "need" pads... I have had a number of episodes recently where I have been retching dealing with the soiled underwear and girdle which she insists on wearing. Wet underwear I can just about handle but the other...

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Well, he had nothing else to wear so he had to accept the pads and he soon got used to them!

Catherine Jane

Aug 22, 2018
My mother was just the same but mostly accepts them now as all her proper underwear has disappeared . Some days she still complains but mostly accepts this … she has carers two mornings a week and they never have any trouble with her ! They are amazing and can always get her in the shower … I don’t know how they do it ! Partly because they are not family and she sees them as being medical staff I think ! It takes time but hang in there !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife