Bipolar plus dementia argh

Funfurry

Aug 10, 2018
Dear All my mum who is about to be 85 just got diagnosed properly after a very rough stay as an informal patient with bipolar affective disorder plus anxiety and depression in a psychiatric ward. She has had 3 admissions in 18 months.

My sister and I care for her and she has been living at home solo but with carers and a good social.life in the community e.g. day clubs.

I just found out by text from the psychiatrist consultant her detailed brain scan showed dementia signs.

It's the sadness really I am very sad and have to tell My sister who is in denial. We are close geographically and mostly emotionally. But we deal very differently with difficult stuff. I'm more touchy feely she is more project management style.

My mum went through the Holocaust age 5. Is profoundly emotionally damaged has PTSD is quite self centred and narcissistic oh and Bipolar. I love her but she isn't empathetic and I struggle to be with her though I try. I had to transfer her to a care home temporarily as she was declared mentally incompetent. We applied for guardianship. Going through v slowly.

So practically part sorted. But I feel devastated. Obviously for my mum she has suffered enough. And also for myself and my sister. We have looked after my mum for 6 years since my lovely dad died now this.

It's just so hard-core. I feel emotionally exhausted after a summer taken up with managing a bad stay in hospital for my mum it was total chaos and she was v v uoset and anxious. Am now due to return to work post holiday and need a holiday.

I'm a full time single mum work nearly full time and have a daughter going through early puberty.

I love my life family work etc but..

Thank you for listening.

J

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Funfurry and welcome to Talking Point.

I do feel sorry for you and your mum. Bipolar plus dementia is a bit of a double whammy. I am not surprised that you are exhausted. Is there any chance that your mum can stay in the care home permanently?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Funfurry, welcome to TP. I hope you find the forum a friendly and supportive place. Do keep posting now that you have found us as the membership is a knowledgeable and supportive group.

There is a lot going on in that history and I fully understand how you feel.

If you think it would help to clarify your thoughts on the way forward you could try a chat with the experts on the help line, details as follows

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
My Mum is bipolar and has mixed dementia and is currently in a care home. She had a long term lithium therapy for bipolar, but they may take her off this now as apparently they don't tend to have the same issues with bipolar in older age. We have found that dementia is the main issue now, and either because of the lithium or other reasons Mummy hasn't had a bipolar cycle for years - we are lucky. Fortunately she settled well in a care home and this environment has allowed medications to be well managed, which is very important when multiple conditions exist. I hope that you find support here.

Funfurry

Aug 10, 2018
Thank you Canary yes she can if her money last long enough! It is 6000 pounds a month ...appreciate the input

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa