So bizarre !

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Spamar, nice to see you. How are you doing?

I know JM has mentioned she's been very busy, so juggling madly, I suppose. I have seen posts from Slugsta and others, on other threads.

Hope everyone is keeping as well as possible!

No news about my mother. Fingers crossed, things seem to be status quo for the moment, and I'll take it. No issues or concerns reported by staff for some time now. I feel wary of getting complacent, though, or relaxing, as I'm always worried the next thing is just around the bend.

Ann, hope the pain is better and that you have been able to sleep. How is MIL, and the rest of the family?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi Amy, nice to see you!

Ignore Nitram, he just lives in the wrong part of the country! It’s been hot here, not like Spain and Portugal, I’ll admit!

I know that feeling, Amy, think you’ve cracked it and the next day something totally unexpected crops up! That’s dementia for you!

Think JM is on holiday.
We’re missing Ann, I think! Hope things are OK with her.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
It is high 30s where I am. Too hot for cycling past 2pm so I did a shorter ride of 70 miles instead of 93 as would be too far in this heat. We have rain due tomorrow.

Had a call yesterday to say my mum had turned freezer off and needed food. I've texted brother and he is doing 4 hour round trip to restock. He did comment here nweds to visit her more often. I know he hasn't been since Christmas.

OH and kids were convinced he wouldn't do it so we did have a contingency plan to ask my neighbour.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
And haven't opened @nitram 's link but hoping my garden has had rain whilst I've been away.

I am sadly aware that the horseshoe pass where I ride regularly is still burning from fb.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi JM, glad it’s going more or less well! Fortunately OH never tried any plugs / sockets. Such a problem. Hope brother does his bit, but good to have neighbours on standby.
Don’t think there has been lots of rain your way.
Round here it’s been very patchy. People living in the same village might have had an inch or nothing! I’ve had very little ( last weekend) and it’s put some water back in the butts, fortunately. There was one fire round here, a few acres of wheat and a combine lost. Saw the smoke!

Enjoy your holiday!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

Sorry for not getting on here sooner, seems to have been a really busy couple of weeks! Work (mainly), but also struggling to catch up with stuff at home. I had thought the current flare was easing, but actually the fibro is still pretty bad, no idea why or what more I can do to try and ease it at the moment. Swimming - when I can get there - seems to help me 'stretch' out, I'm using the jacuzzi at the gym, and the steam room too. I'm trying not to be too reliant on pain killers but most days end up giving in, using lots of green muscle gel, using my tens belt, trying to doing a least some gentle walking every day to ward off the stiffness, all my usual 'tricks' to ease the pain, but so far not a lot seems to be helping. The 'restless legs' type symptom (which also affects my arms and shoulders) is making sleep difficult, some nights I've only managed a couple of hours shut eye and frustratingly, it's affecting both my balance and my grip - can't tell you how many things I have dropped lately! Concentration is poor too. Getting anything done is like wading through treacle, I am so slow and clumsy at the moment. I've contacted my boss, asking if I can carry over a chunk of my owed time and so cut my hours for the next couple of weeks (sitting at the laptop definitely exaccerbates the back pain), but so far no response and I am actually considering going to the GP and asking if some time off might help. This current flare has lasted so long now that I'm beginning to worry that this is my new 'normal', which is a very depressing and worrying idea.

Son is down for just over a week - he arrived with his GF, and my grand-tortoise, Bert, and Granddog Jessie. Odd and sad not to have Patch, the granddog that died here too :( It was son's birthday yesterday, so I started work very early (well, if I'm awake at 4, I may as well make the most of the early start!) finished at 1 and we headed down the coast for a 'birthday trip' out - son's idea of bliss, on the beach with bucket's and nets, rock pooling, followed by an hour or so in the arcades on the 2 pence coin drops - it was very silly but good fun, and at the end of it all, son had managed to win an assortment of daft key rings and a toy yellow mini! That was followed by a meal out - which was really nice - and back home, shattered but having had a really nice day. Fibro pain took some of the shine off for me, though it didn't spoil the day, but youngest managed to lose her new smart watch, which resulted in a strop from her, where she took her upset out on everyone. She really annoyed me, though she did (after a while) get her act together and start behaving. However, that wasn't until after we had retraced our steps, back to the beach, the arcades, and even the loo's we had stopped at, trying to find the watch, as she hadn't a clue where she could have lost it. She is incredibly careless with her 'stuff' - I'm wondering how many items (phones, head phones, watches) she will have to replace before she starts to learn!

We visited Mil on Saturday, taking her in fish and chips. Again we found her very 'fiesty' - the poor young carer with her leaned towards her to point out we had arrived, and got such a slap in the face for her efforts :( As usual, the fish and chips were split between Mil and another resident (she can't manage it all, and its a shame to waste it), but whereas last time she packed away her half portion, this time she struggled - he appetite is very poor compared to what it was. The jaw and mouth movements, from the TD, I think have quite an impact on her ability to eat. Still no word from the HBM - long may that last!

Amy, I am so glad to read that all is calm with your Mum - long may that last too, though I totally understand the not wanting to get complacent, hun. Its always a case of waiting for 'the next thing' to happen, isn't it ? xxxxxx

JM, glad you are enjoying your holiday - cycling in that sort of heat sounds hard going though. Yes, the Horseshoe Pass is still smouldering, sadly, though I believe the pass is now open to motorists again. Driving to the coast yesterday, despite the fact that we did have a couple of days of heavy rain just after we came back from Ireland, you can see how dry everywhere is. The fields and mountains are brown and scorched yellow, rather than green. Very, very muggy here - not that sunny, but so humid! Hope your brother managed to sort out the freezer for your Mum xxxx

Spamar, how are you? Has the pain eased for you, and are you feeling better? xxxx

Slugsta, how is Skycat? Hoping all is OK with you, 2 jays, Celia and everyone else xxxxx

To finish - Luna(tic) is still settling in really, really well. It feels like she has been ours forever, she is such a sweetheart. Very much my girl, though she is affectionate and loving with everyone, she is by my side constantly. She is so playful, and sahe and Seamus play for hours. No joy in keeping her out of the garden pond - so we bought her a kiddies paddling pool, lol, which she loves, and though she is constantly leaving wet footprints around the house, at least the poor frogs are getting some peace!. She is also enjoying having Jessie dog here - another playmate. Saturday afternoon, we took all 4 dogs to Alyn Waters (JM knows the place well) and they had a ball in the river. So I'll end with sending love to all, and adding some pics from the river-romps, hopefully they will bring a few smiles :)

Take care everyone xxxxx

All four, posing at the start of the walk - from L to R, Jessie, Seamus, Luna and Busta

0G8A8063.jpg

Jess and Luna cooling off - Luna has a trick of just lying down in the water, wagging her tail and looking very pleased with herself

0G8A8081.jpg

Busta - looking gorgeous at 17 years old!

0G8A8149.jpg

Posing Jessie

0G8A8154.jpg

Jess and Luna playing

0G8A8141.jpg

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Have done this once, but had a problem!

Anyway, glad you had a good time with son and family, especially dogs! Sorry about your fibro, though. Just love the photos! Its hot here again this morning, no rain for a fortnight, and even then it was very patchy. I was in one of the not much patches! However, the rumour is that it’s getting cooler later this week, and we might have rain! The garden will be very pleased.

I’ve been taking great care sitting and getting up out of a chair and back has been OK for a few days. I’m off to physio later this morning, they’re going to try and sort my shoulder. Shall ask about a couple of other things as well! Also got to make appt for shoulder X-ray. Fortunately both at our local cottage hospital!

Picked some figs this morning, looking forward to eating them! I’m about the only ones of my friends who like them! Tried to post pic, but no success. Just imagine!

Have a good day everyone!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Ann, thanks for the lovely photos, they did make me smile. Rather like watching children play - but without the horrible noise. Luna sounds a complete sweetheart! :)

I'm glad you all had a good time celebrating your son's birthday.

My son was always a butter for losing things. I suspect he still is, but it is not my problem anymore :)

Sorry that the fibro is giving you so much pain. You have had an awful lot on your plate at the moment, I do think some time off work might help (((hugs)))

Amy, I hope this period of calms continues for a good long time!

Jm, it sounds as if you are having a great time - although the heat would be too much for me. The temperatures here are back into the high 20s/low 30s but without that horrible humidity at the moment. We have also had some nasty fires on the heathland, with the resulting loss of wildlife and habitat :(

(((hugs))) to all

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
Good morning Ann,

Hope you are managing to get time off. It sounds as though you really need it. You have been under constant and increasing pressure for the last 4 years.

I read what you said about involuntary twitching. I hope this is alright. It might be worth look into the link between Magnesium and fibromyalgia with regards to this. Magnesium I find also helps with sleep.

Kind regards.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Yes, I find magnesium helps with muscle relaxation and sleep. You can get really good magnesium flakes (for baths). I also keep a magnesium spray for my back. Apparently, many people are magnesium deficient.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
That’s something to check on, Red. S9mebody said yesterday there’s magnesium in bananas. I know Potassium is there. Anyway, as a banana a day person, I should be OK if there really is Mg in bananas!

JM, are you OK? Home yet? ( thinking of the floods in France).

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
There is magnesium in bananas; however, the reason for the increase in wide-spread magnesium deficiency is something to do with modern agri-industry, or so they think. I mean, I take these things with a pinch of salt (pink Himalayan rock, naturally) because usually it's some vitamin-producer plugging all this, but in the case of magnesium flakes I thought 'What harm can it do to try?' and I tried and it worked. High grade magnesium is absorbed by the skin, I think. Anyway, when my muscles are achy and restless after Pilates, a magnesium bath does the trick. Although, Spamar, I know you mentioned before that a bath isn't a solution for you.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
No, can’t bend knee, ankle any more to feel safe! Showers or washdowns only!

But thanks for the info.

Just got back from coffee and lunch with a friend. Was lovely weather when we arrived, but it was terrible rain trying to get home. Now I’m here, it’s easing and there’s a glint of sun! Took three times longer than usual, even in summer, to get home!

I had the big storm yesterday, 1.3” of rain! I expect to see a green lawn within a very few days! And more this pm, of course.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

I'm going to get hold of some of those magnesium flakes Red and Oh Knickers - thank you for that. Feeling rather desperate at the moment, as even an average day ends with me limping and aching badly, and the 'restless legs/body' (or whatever the term for it actually is) is driving me bonkers, it makes it so hard to sleep. Its particularly annoying at the moment because this weekend I've got both my oldest two home, we have plans for a day at the coast with the dogs today (we know Jessie, son's dog, has never been to a beach, we don't know about Luna, but given where she lived previously, it seems unlikely) and much as I am looking forward to it, I am also slightly dreading the state I'm going to be in by tonight. I have been cleared to take back some of the time I am owed, so next week, I'll be off for a 4 day long weekend, hoping that 4 days of taking it fairly easy will help!

At work yesterday, by chance I'd left my personal phone on vibrate and happened to hear it about half way through the project session I was out on. To be honest, when working I usually would ignore it, but for some reason I checked yesterday, and it was the CH (Why they always phone me, and never try OH is beyond me - and he was off yesterday too!). Mil, they told me, had a very bad chest, and they had called the GP as they were 'very worried' about her. Back on the rollercoaster! I contacted OH, as I was in Colwyn Bay and due to be there for another 3 or 4 hours, and he shot down to her as quickly as he could. When he got there, she had been washed and dressed, and he said although she was very chesty, he also said she was in fine form, very alert and chatty, joking with the oldest two - and she even asked where 'the other one' (meaning youngest, it transpired) was! The home were still worried, and the GP was still coming to see her, but OH said apart from her breathing (which is deteriorating slowly but surely anyway) she was fine! It's so hard to judge. The staff have warned that they don't think she would survive another chest infection - but she seems so fiesty and almost strong at the moment, and part of me thinks she will outlast us all. I don't know if the GP will give her ab's again - as I had understood it, it had been decided no more intervention - but since then, with the removal of so many meds and the maintaining 1-1 care , she has improved a lot in terms of the TD easing, the agitation being better handled so she is rarely getting to the melt-down stage, and her quality of life has definitely been a lot better. So the home may feel its worth reversing that decision - at least for the moment.

Next week, I have no projects, so my 3 working days are going to be spent getting to grips with admin - the arrival of a new boss has thrown up a lot of issues for all of us, countless things we had never been told about in terms of paperwork. She is very understanding, extremely helpful - but nevertheless, all of us now have a massive amount of catch up to do, so I have a week chained to the laptop ahead of me. No long sessions driving though, which (she says with crossed fingers) will hopefully ease the pain factor quite a bit.

Spamar, we also had a day of heavy rain yesterday - and driving back from my project yesterday took over an hour longer than usual, with traffic pretty much at a standstill in both directions on the A55 - I gave up in the end, and got off it, coming home via a much longer (but given the traffic conditions, probably a much quicker) route.

Red - how is your little granddaughter doing?. I think we are due another photo please :D

Slugsta, hope all is OK with you and that Skycat is OK, Amy - hope things are still calm with your Mum, and to you all and everyone else, sending much love xxxxx

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
Good morning Ann,

Sorry to hear about your MIL and her health issues but good to hear teh TD is easing.

I started taking Magnesium whilst pregnant with my second. With my first I got disabling cramp and was frightened as it was so severe. The obstetrician prescribed it for my second. My children laugh at me when I start doing what they call 'frogs legs' i.e twitching legs. I find the magnesium helps with both. What might be worth considering is taking a combination tablet should you be in a soft water area. The health food shops do a Calcium, magnesium and zinc combo tablets. Apparently, that combo of minerals is helpful to keep the balance.

One caveat, just try half the dose as I found initially magnesium can cause loose bowels! Once your body gets used to it, it lessens. Can be a bit of a surprise otherwise.

Take care.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Mornin Ann

Sorry to hear you still have fIbro problems. Sorry I don’t have any advice/remedies for you. :(

I should have been in colwyn bay yesterday, it was one of our planned trips for the last day of our Rhyl holiday. Sadly I had to bring 1jay home early on the Thursday as he has another chest infection.

I left him in charge of sorting the sat nav before we started off..... BIG MISTAKE. we ended up going the “country route” home towards the M54, apparently the shortest route... which at the time I wasn’t impressed about, but I can now appreciate and visualise exactly what some of your journey home was like.

The rest of the gang.... family..... are on their way home today. I hope they don’t get the torrential rain....

New roof/sorting of badly built roof is being done and then I can start on the decorating... well I say I start the decorating.... I need to choose colours and flooring as a very good friend has offered to decorate the sun room on my behalf.

I just adore friends like that

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
It’s ages since I caught up with everyone here...good morning. I was going to ‘stay for a chat’ but I’ve just had a lengthy and complicated call from Martin, so I need to go and start the day. Hey ho. Have a good one, everybody x

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Morning! Here, there was another 10 ml ( 0.4”) rain yesterday! But I was out in some of it. Didn’t take a coat, it was lovely weather in morning! Then my friend accidentally knocked a glass of water most of which went into my lap! Fortunately I had a thin shirt and my thinnest trousers, which dried fairly quickly! Later the rain came down, so damp again. I did take a brolly - but I left it in the car, in fact we both did the same! Journey home took x3 the normal time, roads awash. Fortunately not far! I managed to restock my spending to a CD ( The Rat Pack, Cool Cat Classics) and a book ( The Edge Of The World. How the North Sea made us who we are). I’ve probably got most of The Rat Pack stuff, but it’ll be nice having it all together!

Ann, sorry about all your aches and pains, hope the magnesium helps!
2Jays, send your painting friend down to me, please! I could really do with the living room doing, but every time I think about it, my heart quails, all those books! All those bits and pieces! Last time it took me a fortnight to strip the room ( 22 boxes!) and a month to put it all back! Went through and dusted all books, threw some out, sorted all the drinking glasses, threw some out! Etc!

Red, how is grandau doing? Hope you are OK.

Amethyst, hope you can sort Martin out easily, and give us an update!

JM, glad you’re OK. I hope, rain excepted, you’re having a good holiday!

Shopping today, maybe a coffee somewhere. The sun is out! I hope it stays that way,