Support

farmgirl

Jun 2, 2014
shrewsbury
Do you all get lots of support from profesional bodies like memory clinic, alziemers society etc. We see someone from the memory clinic for about 40 mins once every 6 months and that's it.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Absolutely none. Mum diagnosed in hospital, I, being naive, said she’s self funding, handed a list of care homes, and told as soon as possible ❗️

Mum has since moved from southwest to Kent, and I’m not sure if any of officialdom knows (or cares) where she is, or more worrying, how she is.

farmgirl

Jun 2, 2014
shrewsbury
Absolutely none. Mum diagnosed in hospital, I, being naive, said she’s self funding, handed a list of care homes, and told as soon as possible ❗️

Mum has since moved from southwest to Kent, and I’m not sure if any of officialdom knows (or cares) where she is, or more worrying, how she is.
I thought as dad is still at home and in late stages, carnt do a thing for himself and no mobility, they would keep an eye on dad to check were looking after him properly.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Do you all get lots of support from profesional bodies like memory clinic, alziemers society etc. We see someone from the memory clinic for about 40 mins once every 6 months and that's it.
We had a so called dementia wellbeing lady come every six months but it was really pointless. That's it. Only real help was from the district nurses when OH developed a pressure sore. They were wonderful. Good to hear from you. Gx

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
In my experience you are left to your own devices unless you ask for help. Have you asked for an assessment from Social Services? This should be done for everyone who requests one no matter whether or not they are self funding.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
No support from professionals other than those we pay for. My wife was discharged from the memory clinic back to the care of her GP in September 2016 but despite being in for various minor ailments we have not spoken to her GP about her decline for over a year. I have the name of a contact at social services and spoke to her once on the phone about a year ago. Once she realised that my wife was self-funding she was no longer interested. I have arranged day support privately and on the whole that has proved good.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes, I did, but I had to ask for it. No point sitting around waiting for them to call.
The Memory clinic's job isn't support as such, but diagnosis and six monthly observation.
If you need support, our local Carers Centre is outstanding so give yours a call.

farmgirl

Jun 2, 2014
shrewsbury
It shouldn't be like that should it.
No support from professionals other than those we pay for. My wife was discharged from the memory clinic back to the care of her GP in September 2016 but despite being in for various minor ailments we have not spoken to her GP about her decline for over a year. I have the name of a contact at social services and spoke to her once on the phone about a year ago. Once she realised that my wife was self-funding she was no longer interested. I have arranged day support privately and on the whole that has proved good.

Distressed55

May 13, 2018
Nope, not a bit of help, and that includes the gp who was completely clueless. Social worker as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

You're going to find a lot of help here, though. Everyone here is very generous with their knowledge.

I'd suggest trying to get your GP practice occupational therapist involved, and also the district nurse. The OT can help with mobility issues, the DN for more medical stuff. Also try your local district council who may have a program of handrails/loo seats etc for making the house a bit more user friendly for the PWD.

But I'm sorry, you will have to push for everything, repeatedly. There is no joined up anything.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Isn't this absolutely disgraceful? Just cannot believe the lack of support people with dementia get, absolutely shameful.
Mum is having someone come round the house tomorrow to have a ECG - a memory clinic request - is this normal? Thanks and good luck everyone with getting appropriate support. x

archiebald

Jan 12, 2016
My hubby has early onset diagnosed 3 years ago he is now 60 only contact we have had was with the Dementia clinic who deal with elderly Dementia patients there are no local resorces for Early on set in our district I have contacted Alzheimers Scotland recently as I need some sort of support as I am very stressed need some time to myself and they passed my request to local council I am still waiting on a call from someone I am considering looking into paying for someone to look after hubby couple hours just to keep my sanity he does go to a gym 4 mornings a week but only for an hour ok its an hour a day but he is no longer out till he is back again I keep saying he has better social life than I do I just need time to myself so that I can be there for him in a better state of mind as you guys will already know ...its not easy finding support

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Isn't this absolutely disgraceful? Just cannot believe the lack of support people with dementia get, absolutely shameful.
Mum is having someone come round the house tomorrow to have a ECG - a memory clinic request - is this normal? Thanks and good luck everyone with getting appropriate support. x

My wife had to have that to ensure she was OK to be put on her meds as cardiac issues can arise. I would think it's common.

farmgirl

Jun 2, 2014
shrewsbury
Nope, not a bit of help, and that includes the gp who was completely clueless. Social worker as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

You're going to find a lot of help here, though. Everyone here is very generous with their knowledge.

I'd suggest trying to get your GP practice occupational therapist involved, and also the district nurse. The OT can help with mobility issues, the DN for more medical stuff. Also try your local district council who may have a program of handrails/loo seats etc for making the house a bit more user friendly for the PWD.

But I'm sorry, you will have to push for everything, repeatedly. There is no joined up anything.
We had the OT out awhile ago and got a wheel chair etc , had to fight for 12 months to get sides on the bed.

farmgirl

Jun 2, 2014
shrewsbury
In my experience you are left to your own devices unless you ask for help. Have you asked for an assessment from Social Services? This should be done for everyone who requests one no matter whether or not they are self funding.
No never got as involved used to work with sw so I didn't bother them.

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Your GP surgery should have a carers' champion (sadly they now have to do this alongside their 'proper' job in the surgery). First, that should identify you to the GP as a carer. You also need a carers' assessment. This would open some doors to other benefits or advice you could be entitled to. In my county it is Community Council for Somerset and this is broken down into carers' agents and village agents. Your GP should have some information - if not, ask them to go and get some to see how it works in your area. If your council or social services have been ignoring the person you care for, this back door method will at least enable you to find out what you/the PWD are entitled to, what is available and help you through the maze of paperwork.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Yes, it is shameful, completely. I think in about ten years, the Government will have to face up to the tsunami of dementia but believe that even then it will only be to recommend PWD be cared for at home. I believe the coming Green Paper will say the same thing. I so wish I could do something to help. Gxxxxaka kindred.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Yes, it is shameful, completely. I think in about ten years, the Government will have to face up to the tsunami of dementia but believe that even then it will only be to recommend PWD be cared for at home. I believe the coming Green Paper will say the same thing. I so wish I could do something to help. Gxxxxaka kindred.

I agree, it will all fall on the family but it is likely that means one person will bear the whole responsibility as often seems the way.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother had reasonable support as her GP was quite proactive, and her (self funded) care agency was excellent and knew what additional help she was entitled to. So she had memory clinic visits, home visits from OT and the CPN, and Linkline/a keysafe provided free of charge. But if she hadn't had the starting point of the self funded care agency, I suspect less support would have been forthcoming as I wouldn't have known my way round the system. The two social workers I dealt with were pleasant but not useful - once they knew she was self funding I didn't see them for dust.