Computer - ipad

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
i find the iPad screen too small can anyone recommend a dementia friendly computer?

Laura40

Dec 10, 2017
England
You can get an apple laptop which would have a bigger screen but a lot of money to invest in unless you are already confident with iPads, etc?

Laura40

Dec 10, 2017
England
Hi Jorbin,
They are not cheap. Look for refurbished iMacs for a better price. But I'd advise going to a store first and getting somebody to demonstrate how to use and let you have a go before you buy. I don't buy anything I haven't tried out first.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If you're into mac's then it's better to stay with the technology you know, but as has been said Apple stuff isn't cheap.
One option may be to go and see an optician, tell them what your problem is and see if they can make you a pair of glasses to suit your needs. I have a pair of bifocals set to "reading distance" about 18 inches which suits both reading and using my tablet and the other focus is about 3 feet which suits me using my computer at work. Beyond about 20 feet they're useless but for close up they're fine, I can read a book and use a mobile, tablet, laptop on the lower part of the lens and use the work computer the other side of the desk from me.
If (like me) you have "fat fingers" then I bought 2 stylus' from the pound shop and it's much easier to tap the right place on a small devise with the stylus tip than it is with my fingers which seem to have a mind of their own.
K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I know virtually nothing about Apple technology.
With a PC there are high contrast settings including white on black text which help some people, Apple may have something similar.

Laura40

Dec 10, 2017
England
I think the advantage with Apple is the lack of viruses and the touch technology is extremely simple. The format is usually the same on all their devices as well so easy to move from one device to another for those that are used to Apple.
Some people really don't like Apple because the price is really hefty. My kids prefer android devices but I use both All provided by my work so none cost me a penny, fortunately. I find Apple the easiest which is how my husband ended up with an iPad. I had my own from work and he started using it to play simple games like scrabble on it, he found it so easy after initial doubt that when he got a tax rebate he went out and bought his own and hasn't looked back, that was around 6 years ago. It is still running perfectly and He uses it daily, like a routine, much less than originally but daily nevertheless. I put all our banking apps, utilities, etc on it so I can access things really easily we don't need to go into any banks, etc makes life a lot easier. What I really like about it for him is how portable it is, we go away a lot, b and bs etc. I always pack it and it means he has his games wherever we go, keeps the routine going, also got lots of our photos on it etc as it is a camera and video too. Pcs are not this useful in my mind but all to their own.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I call my iPad my second best friend. It is supberb as a life organiser and I share a diary with a remote member of family so we keep in sync. I do find the use of stylus can help. Also enlarging the font.

A Dementia friendly computer would be great, though. I dislike Windows 10. I need this for emailing a blind friend as mail from my iPad does not work for her. On lap top I can increase font to 36 bold.
There was one called Simplicity originally from France. It was not cheap though.